P38 Lightning

Martian

Advert

Hi Martin,

I have been following with interest as one of our younger club members "printed and assembled" a ME109. Wings seemed very stiff and quite light. Issues with its fixed U/C and looked quite a stable flight until last time out.

Discussion regarding its damage revolved around which bit to reprint and where to cut and shut, needless to say if it had been a far eastern more holes than wood model it would have been totally unrepairable.

Just love the complex inner sections an tunnels.

All the best and slow/steady with those CA fumes.

Thank you Chris to be honest there is not much to say I'm hoping it will be of some help to anyone venturing down this new route and\ as Ian has said a lot of views but none the less thank you and by the way I read view every time you post

Posted by SR 71 on 27/07/2018 21:17:20:

But it is nice to get a little feed back, shows there is a interest, I prefer to see comments on my threads wether good,bad or of topic,shows there is life out there

you are right but it is glorious flying weather

I,he found they are likely to break on the print line so soon fixed.

Those two look great Chris i hope i manage to get a good finish like that. I'm going for the Red Bulls p38 polished Ali using rustoleum chrome spray over Halfords primer

I'm another secretly watching with interest. IMHO this could be the future of model building as 3d printers get better and cheaper. It sort of has karma as well, as most of us started building airfix kits and could end up printing and building what are essentially giant airfix kits.

Exactly what I said to my wife " look at this giant airfix plane" but you are right once you buy the files you can print as many as you want and these geniuses will create even more detailed and complex models in the future . Invest in a printer get to know it's setup and print a plane a week ,I still love balsa planes though .😎

Nearly painted but meanwhile some interesting facts about PLA polylactic acid not to be confused with people's liberation army any way it is biodegradable and boiactive made from renewable resources such as primarily corn starch ,cassava and sugarcane . It is soluble in chlorinated solvents ,melting temperature of 130_180c . A 3d printed plane will deform if left in hot sun or a closed car in the sun . Being biodegradable it will eventually breakdown but only in the right conditions . From what I have learned it is best not to use cheap PLA it s printing properties are unpredictable ,there is a market leader that sells reels of 1kg for about £30 .hope this info helps

I mentioned the mess up withe tailplane the next 2 pics show the start of the cut away process then when done the edges were cleaned up and reassembled

dscf9022.jpg

dscf9021.jpg

dscf9023.jpg

the completed airframe with control surfaces fitted and primered then final coat which is chrome .although the print lines and joints are visible also were excess CA was not wiped of properly I'm reasonably pleased with it. The following close up give an idea of the surface defects from the print process I would imagine this would improve with refinements in the printing process. I can live with it these sort of defects are hard to see from several meters away. Halford primer adhesion was good Rustoleum chrome spray adhesion was good although the chrome surface comes of on your hands but that is not specific to 3d printed material I used the stuff on my Mustang and it was the same .when marking and logos are added I will give it a light coating of clear laquer. More later

dscf9023.jpg

dscf9025.jpg

dscf9026.jpg

dscf9027.jpg

dscf9028.jpg

Posted by Andy Meade on 11/07/2018 09:05:53:

Slightly off topic, but would your nephew have an STL file for that full bodied pilot that he'd be willing to share please Simon? They seem as rare as rocking horse teeth.

The filelooks like the one that is is available for sale on CGTrader, the chap who designed them also does a USAAF, Luftwaffe and Imperial Japanese Navy pilot. The files aren't cheap - $25-39 a pop, plus VAT, but are nicely sculpted.

You really seem to enjoy this 'new age' build, Martian.

And maybe that's just the 'main thing' regarding building.

Just take care of the US 'stars' position when finishing the deco for your birdie as you'll probably not be able to call in your friend Trump for a second time in a row... wink

Cheers

Chris

Ha ha Chris no chance of getting them wrong this time there will be none this is the Red Bull plane.

the thing is with this new age build I,m willing to embrace something different but at the same time it is nowhere near the same as balsa but a more rewarding step from foam for me anyway

Posted by Slickriff on 02/08/2018 22:23:49:
Looks pretty impressive. It all looks to sit true, which would be a worry building from small blocks. I like it.

Thanks. it looks true up close so i hope its ok ..if the sections are printed accurately then all parts will fit I said earlier in the post that some sections are quite flimsy until glued and it is difficult to hold them is place while gluing so I glued small edges at a time a bit like stitch welding, patience is the key

Posted by McG 6969 on 03/08/2018 08:12:44:

... I'm missing those US stars a little bit, Martian. wink

It looks like you're going to put some mighty EDFs in there... cool devil

Very nice work there on this 'special' bird.

Cheers

Chris

no stars I,m afraid this is a civilian ship. EDF,s !!!!! you pulling my leg Chris

Next step has started by the acquisition of an Anet 8 so I can continue to experiment printing more planes i,m convinced it's possible to produce low cost repairable planes no real need to paint unless wanted . But I still want to build in balsa , the more these planes are designed and built the more the method will grow and improve