Black Fly a new Flying Car

Stephen Jones

Advert

I need some convincing that this is real. There's no problem with the control system (at least the s/w is probably no more complex than that in sophisticated quads) and of course the electric motor isn't a problem at all. The biggest problem (like electric cars) is the energy store ie the battery.

Geoff

No, the biggest problems are not technical. Safety, reliability, affordability, regulations, training of potential drivers pilots. Ultimately I think the general public's lassaiz faire attitude towards motoring safety and preparedness and maintenance doesn't translate very well to aircraft of any sort.

A man carrying quad, well, that is already possible. As it goes, personally, I can't see light helicopters carrying on for that much longer when quads can do what they do cheaper, with redundancy of various critical bits, and with more autonomy of control.

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 18/07/2018 00:40:05:

I need some convincing that this is real.

Same here. Notice that nowhere in the video you see a person climbing into the craft and taking off with it.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 18/07/2018 12:48:07

Looks like they are claiming to squeeze it through the door of being an ultralight single seat "unregulated" thingummy. No license required in the states to legally buy one and fly.

Hence the poor range - I guess if it had a good size battery you'd need a license, presumably a rotary wing type, massively increasing the cost. I'm not sure what sort of full size license applies to multirotors. If you want proper scary, take a look at homebuilt ultralight helicopters. No license, no build inspection, no chance of autorotation...

There is a potential for these things. So we get told. So dreamers, and serious players have a dabble. The dreamer hopes to become the new Henry Ford. The players don't want to become last months flavour.

So they all do one, and the press, being bone idle, reports the news

I have yet to see an article, announcing 1000 sales of any of them.

There was an article on the BBC news today about the KittyHawk flying car. They also mentioned that Aston Martin and Rolls Royce were getting in on the act. There's obviously commercial interest in it.

THIS article on the BBC website includes details of training for flight - a 90 minute course.

Posted by Percy Verance on 18/07/2018 18:43:03:

It's a non starter for several reasons. We have 30 odd million cars in Britain, and if just 20% of that number were to convert to flying cars, then just imagine the air traffic control chaos it would create. And where would they all take-off and land?

Not going to happen.

That Robinson bloke in the US produced his bargain basement helicopter. He sold a fair number, but it hasn't swamped the market.

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/07/2018 18:43:39

And all below 400’....wink. I guess not!