Looping Hercules

pete taylor

Dave, it would be a smooth manoeuvre and you probably wouldn't notice !!

There was a story about Hercs being rolled and looped in the sixties. It was certainly strong enough and powerful enough to make these manoeuvres, but I don't recall any RAF Alberts being flown in this way.

It was a fine airframe to perform quite spirited displays in the 70s and early 80s.

Bearing in mind the loads it is designed to carry, there is no reason why such a manoeuvre should over-stress an empty airframe. Both the Vulcan and 707 were rolled. If done properly, it should not be a problem.

Still impressive, though, as its not what you expect from a large 'plane, and must have taken a lot of bottle by whoever did it first! wink

--

Pete

Posted by Dane Crosby on 20/07/2018 21:11:08:

Dave, it would be a smooth manoeuvre and you probably wouldn't notice !!

Having twice been on board an aircraft that has done a loop I'd agree that it's a smooth manoeuvre.

As for "probably wouldn't notice it" - on my flights there would have been zero chance of that - even if I'd been blind-folded! teeth 2

But the first was pulling over 5g, the second one, not a great deal less. I wonder what the Herc was pulling?

Posted by Peter Christy on 20/07/2018 23:10:27:

Bearing in mind the loads it is designed to carry, there is no reason why such a manoeuvre should over-stress an empty airframe. Both the Vulcan and 707 were rolled. If done properly, it should not be a problem.

Still impressive, though, as its not what you expect from a large 'plane, and must have taken a lot of bottle by whoever did it first! wink

--

Pete

There is a big difference though between a loop and a roll. A roll can "easily" be a 1G manoeuvre, a loop the size of the one here is no way 1G!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/07/2018 23:38:18:

There is a big difference though between a loop and a roll. A roll can "easily" be a 1G manoeuvre, a loop the size of the one here is no way 1G!

BEB

Agreed! But at the same time, I would bet that the load imposed by the G-force of that loop was quite a bit less than the maximum payload its designed to carry. And of course, the G-force will be evenly distributed, unlike any payload.

But don't get me wrong - I'm still impressed! Not least by the bravery (foolishness?) of whoever did it first!!!

--

Pete

Some years ago I worked at an airfield in Northamptonshire where one of the aircraft I maintained was a Stearman owned by John Jordan of Jordans Breakfast cereals etc. He had brought it over to the UK after the war. It was fitted with the big 450hp Pratt&Whitney and he had used it for crop spraying as well as barnstorming airshow stuff.

Anyway, it seems he had flown for the ATA in the war, transporting all kinds of aircraft around. One day a documentary crew turned up at the airfield to film an interview with him and his old pal from the ATA (name escapes me). They reminisced about how bored they had been sometimes on delivery flights that they dared each other to do aerobatics. They claimed they often barrel rolled Lancasters (but then, as BEB says, a correctly executed Barrel Roll is a 1G manoevre)

Talking of barrel rolls. I came home from shopping a year or so ago and as I unloaded the car I heard an aircraft approaching. It was a Peitenpol Air Camper. As I watched he did an axial roll which ended up pojnting 45 degrees nose down. He then did a barrel roll.

The Air Camper is strctly forbidden to do aerobatics and he was pointing at my hose when he finished the first roll.

I did contact Peitenpol and the LAA. I don't really care if he wants to bury himself in a Suffolk field but I do take a dim view of him risking my roof