2018 PSSA Mass Build - The Completed Model Thread

Advert

Posted by steven kemp on 04/09/2018 09:56:26:
I say it's a race between you and Chris Phil for next completed model pics..get a move on lads..4 days to go.gulp

Might not be mine. Applying laquer this evening, might have a photo tomorrow after final balancing. AUW is currently 3lb 8oz with the battery installed! laugh

Posted by dirk tinck on 06/09/2018 00:40:54:

Sorry ,my AUW is 4lb 0.5 oz ....i think. Anyway its 1.83 kg

I was just about to rush off to your build blog to see where and how you had managed to save 1lb! I feel a little disappointed now.

Safe journey Dirk, see you at the weekend. I still owe you for the Rafale too. Don't let me forget. smiley

Finally done with 2 days to spare.

Based on Z3055 restored at the Malta Aviation Museum after being recovered just off the coast in the Med. Originally flown and named "Death Warmed Up" by P/O Bill Hollis Hallet of 261 Sq based in Ta' Qali, Malta who was killed when the hotel in Rabat that many pilots were billeted in was bombed. The aircraft was responsible for downing several Macchi C.200 and other Italian aircraft before being lost after a suspected engine failure and ditched in the sea by Sgt Thomas Hackston.

20180906_165102.jpg

20180904_231501.jpg

AUW is 3lb 8oz after final balancing. Covered in oracover and solartex, etch primed and painted in Humbrol enamels.Pilot, radiator housing, oil cooler scoop and tail wheel printed on my Anet A8 printer, Vinyl roundels, sqn markings and serial cut from coloured vinyl on my Silhouette Portrait cutter and detailed decals printed on clear waterslide decal paper. Nose art hand painted with black and white humbrol enamels.

2 coats clear satin laquer still hardening!

Hawker Sea Hurricane IIc.

Finished to represent NF672 'Nicki' from 835 Sqn FAA operating from HMS Nairama in 1944.

The model is glassed all over in 25g cloth using FighterAces resin. Airbrushed in acrylics with decals from Callie Graphics. 3D printed pilot and exhaust stubs from Real Model Pilots, 3D printed tailwheel from Andy Meade. Weathering is pastel dust applied with brushes all sealed with a coat of Halfords satin lacquer.

AUW is 4lb 3oz. Fitted with 3 servos and a wing L/E light unit, it utilises 12 magnets to retain the cannons, aerial mast and tailwheel.

See you all on the hill in the morning!

finished 1 forum.jpg

finished 2 forum.jpg

Phil that's a cracking Hurricane, really well done.

Here's mine:

Hawker Hurricane IIc.

Finished to simulate the last Hurricane ever built, it never saw service but was retained by Hawker at the end of the war. In 1950 it obtained the civilian registration G- AMAU and was used in the Kings Cup air race for a number of years, often flown by Group Captain Peter Townsend. In this guise it was presented in Hawker colours - deep blue with gold lettering. Following refurbishment in 1972 the aircraft was presented to the RAF BBMF and registered as PZ865.

The model is glassed all over with 25gsm cloth and airbrushed in Vallejo air paints. Decals are by Callie graphics. 3D printed pats include: 6 port exhaust stubs (Thingiverse), tailwheel ( file from Andy Meade), pilot from Real Model Pilots -self painted. Lights fitted to leading edges and to wing tips. Not sure of final weight yet!

Ive not got as far as adding panel lines detail yet, hopefully soon.

Here are a couple of photographs:

img_20180907_232545056.jpg

img_20180907_232103752.jpg