P.P.I. Yes it's Boring But.......

Former Member

Advert

I got about £4k back a few years ago, on a loan i had from the 90's and Barclays Additions I didn't want when I left them. I had to pay the company £700, but i did get something and forgot about a loan I had, they did all the work, so not too bad.

Someone I know tried to get some money back himself, but when there is no company behind him, the lender kept stalling, in the end he went to a PPi company, and got the money within 6 weeks.

So I bought an older Vectra car (£1750), some modeling goods and set of Kef Reference Model one-two speakers out of it...

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 01/08/2018 10:11:28:

Martyn, when I did it it was simply a blitz of all past bank accounts and credit cards. Surprisingly it turned out that I'd overpaid on a personal loan years ago, with interest Natwest repaid nigh on the sum of the loan!

Thanks Bob

I have only made one claim for mis-sold PPI which was very successful, I got back about 3.5k however, I was aware that I had genuinely been mis-sold as the bank - Halifax - simply added this AFTER I declined it. I have never knowingly bought PPI but I also have kept almost no records of old Credit Cards and personal loans. Once gone, I simply erase the history in a shredder

Posted by Kevin Wilson on 01/08/2018 11:51:24:

I have not claimed against the one CC that I had PPI on. It was not mis-sold and I knew I was buying it.

When my circumstances changed I cancelled the PPI.

Some may think this a ridiculously moral stance to take. But like buying the PPI, it was/is my choice.

I'm with you on this. As far as I'm aware, I've never had any PPI and always opted not to take it out when applying for loans etc. I did check credit card statements and loan payments to ensure that the amounts tallied so unless interest payments included a hidden percentage towards PPI I really can't see how I could have incurred it.

Forgive me if this upsets anyone but it feels like those who willingly entered into agreements to give them peace of mind against losing their jobs or changing circumstances are now taking advantage of the companies and claiming back payments for cover that wasn't needed in retrospect - I wish I could do that for my car, home and pet insurances over the years!

Out of interest and to see if there was any subterfuge, I contacted one of the companies who claim to be able to tell you if you have been a victim of mis-selling but they simply sent forms asking me to supply details of loans and credit cards that I'd had and I'm sure were free from PPI due to the simple checks I made at the time.

If I'd been a victim of fraud I would be all for gaining recompense but I would feel like a fraud myself if I were to claim simply because I had failed to consider the options carefully.

Posted by Martin Harris on 01/08/2018 13:41:34:

Forgive me if this upsets anyone but it feels like those who willingly entered into agreements to give them peace of mind against losing their jobs or changing circumstances are now taking advantage of the companies and claiming back payments for cover that wasn't needed in retrospect - I wish I could do that for my car, home and pet insurances over the years!

I agree. However the original 'scandal' was that people in precarious financial circumstances who knowingly opted for the cover did not realise that making a claim was nigh-on impossible. It was in this sense that it was mis-sold. It was later discovered that PPI was being applied to all sorts of other financial products.

Like others, I never knowingly signed up for it, but have no idea how I'd go about searching out my past borrowing history without recourse to some organisation that has access to the various records. As far as I can see the DIY templates are just a standard letter? The problem for me would be where to address it!

Posted by john stones 1 on 01/08/2018 14:24:25:

Ah but....

I went to buy a car on credit, the salesman told me I couldn't have finance unless I took PPI out, car was £3500 ish, by the time they totted it all up the car was close to £7000 ish, I said I'd sleep on it and never went back. Did he behave within the law ? If not, suck it up for lying.

In this instance John you did took the correct action. Exactly as I would have. You reviewed what was being offered and rejected it.

I feel if you had been provided this information and knowingly accepted the offer then more fool you.

Are we to expect all the people that knowingly take out these glossy loans being offered at 4000% interest to have their poor judgement recompensed in future? If so sign me up for a Jeti with a 50% Wildcat and a Moki.

Martin H has expanded quite succinctly my reasons for not claiming back on the PPI purchased.

Regarding Martin T point. It is quite often people in precarious financial positions that do not consider the options carefully (to pinch Martin H words) and is usually why they are in a precarious financial position. I expect they are also the most likely to take the 4000% loan. I know somebody who was squarely in that category for the first 40 years of his life. Luckily for him it was only 30% credit cards available at the time.

Whilst I have some sympathy with the "I knew I was buying it" position, were you also aware that it would only pay out under the most obscure conditions?

This was the big problem with PPI, and the reason for the scandal! Many - if not most - of the policies were drafted in such a way that it was almost impossible to actually make a claim on one!

--

Pete

Short of reading and investigating all the small print it was all too easy to get drawn in. Perhaps I should have done more checks, mea culpa. However, in my view the banks made enough out of me over the years and then my taxes went towards bailing them out so why should I not treat them in the same way they treated me? Capitalism cuts both ways.