Well, I never thought that would never happen !

cymaz

Just back from a beautiful days’ flying but had a lucky escape....I will explain.

I fellow flying mate asked me to have a go with his Extra. During the preflight I was pulling on the elevator hinges checking that they were secure. His Tx was around my neck on my neck strap.

As I was bending down the Tx just gently, no , brushed against the elevator.............THE BACK OF THE TX FELL RIGHT OUT WITH THE BATTERYsurprise. There were no screws holding in the back at all. He had bought the Futaba 7c second hand......please beware!!

• Confused 1

1 in 10000 odds aren't very good when it comes to the plethora of RC activities.laugh

I was spotting for a friend one day at our club. He was using a JR 3810 radio which has the battery compartment hatch secured by a plastic catch. The battery used is a "button" type that has terminals like you get on small 9v batteries. The connection is just maintained by a slight bending of the terminals inside the battery bay when the battery is inserted. When the TX is held horizontally the battery compartment hatch forms a trap door and the battery hangs precariously above it, held in place by friction.

So, he was flying along calmly, when all of a sudden there was a nasty "click", the battery hatch pops open and the battery drops out on to the ground at our feet. The model went into failsafe, which had been set up as a gentle circular turn and I made a grab for the battery. My friend held out the transmitter and I inserted the battery back in the bay and held it in place while he made a very hurried landing.

He now secures the hatch with electrical tape!

pic_0328.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 05/08/2018 03:59:13

• Sad 1

• 5 years later...