RC Hotel

Ian Jones

Advert

• 1 year later...

I spoke with my friend Spiros Tsellas - the owner of the RC Hotel in Corfu last night just to catch up on the situation there.

The hotel is closed for now but the Greek Government has proposed the possibility of seasonal hotels such as his opening at the end of June as part of a phased exit from their lockdown - Greece has apparently suffered relatively fewer corona virus infections and fatalities than a lot of other European countries. Of course the situation remains fluid.... and when charter flights will be resumed between Corfu and the UK is anyone's guess!

As many hotel regulars will know, Spiros has invested in quite a few 3D printers and he advised me that he is presently working 'flat out' using them to print PPE for the local hospital which I thought was something that was worth sharing here.

• 2 months later...

For those who are interested - the RC hotel is open now and there is availability - the weather here in Corfu is warm and ideal for flying for the rest of the season.

For those who are prepared to travel I can only say that whilst being at an airport and flying when wearing a mask is odd I found it nevertheless easy to do...as ever the hotel is very welcoming and the facilities superb.

All of Greece has suffered from the lockdown but plenty of the local tourist bars/restaurants/ haunts have opened with a warm greeting for those who make the journey from the UK.

Posted by Andy Stephenson on 28/07/2020 17:31:20:

What is necessary to get R/C pilot registration with the aviation authorities in Greece as a visitor. If you were planning to fly there I'm guessing you would have to go through a process similar to the CAA one here in the UK.

A.

Andy - as a paying guest at the RC HOTEL you don’t require registration. Just fly and enjoy. If you’re not capable of flying solo safely, excellent tuition From the proprietor and other (usually BMFA endorsed) instructors is available . All new guests are asked to either confirm their Flying capability through a test flight or immediately request tuition.

Jon

• 8 months later...

I found the article by Jon Laughton in the latest issue quite interesting as to how Spiros has been weathering the storm and keeping busy with improvements. When I stayed there a couple of years ago I had a cracking time at the hotel and exploring the local landscape and Corfu town.

Having met Jon while I was out there I can confirm the article is spot-on... But I must admit a case of mild disappointment that the mag has not printed a picture of the massive pile of destroyed models that are tucked behind the hanger/workshop! ? Maybe the reduction in guests means fewer terminal crashes...?

• Like 1

No doubt things have moved on since I visited about 6 - 7 years ago but to be honest most models were a bit past their best and due to fire damage part of the main building lounge are was not available. But the camaraderie and general willingness to help and have a good time was super - better than most clubs. - watch out for the snakes in the outfield.?

I read Jon article at the first opportunity, it was good to see how Spiros & his team have been getting alone. My wife & I had our first stay in 2019 & were all set to go back in 2020, but it was not to be. We had a wonderful time & thoroughly enjoyed the food & our time in Corfu.

I will admit in 19 some models, the popular ones were a looking a little worn, but they were all kept very flyable. For me if I'm flying someone else's model I don't want it to be perfect just out the box, as I don't want to be the first to put a dent in it, that's too much  pressure.

When thing return to homeware near normal the wife & I will be booking up again that's for sure.