Any idea what the model is?

Andy Palmer

A club-mate has been gifted a part built model but has no idea what it is and is wondering if anyone can help. He says it's 62" span and has been beautifully built, presumably for around a 60 size I/C engine. It's mostly there but he has no idea of the fin shape or size, or canopy style.

Any help appreciated.

img_0943.jpgimg_0940.jpgimg_0939.jpgimg_0933.jpgimg_0932.jpgimg_0931.jpg

Edited By Andy Palmer on 26/09/2018 16:44:37

Advert

Hi all. My name is Olav(Nick)Sivertsen and I would like to thank Andy for all his help in getting the photos to be shown,after me being unable to work out how to do it myself.

I would like to thank you guys who have come up with the answer.Its a very well built model

and would be tragic not to complete.Looking forward to getting the plans and finish the build.

Once again,thank you all and I appreciate all you help

Nick😃🇳🇴🇳🇴👍

Welcome to the forum Olav. If you order the plan from Sarik, there is also the canopy (CANRM356) and an ABS cowl (COWRM356) available from them too.

You have done such a nice job on this Kevin it is a shame it is a 'hanger queen', has it flown yet and if so how was it? I remember admiring this model when I got the free plan and reading Michael Parry's build article in RCM&E but I felt that the build was probably beyond my meagre skills at the time. He fitted a Thunder Tiger 91FS, what did you fit? I note from the (free) plan that only the root rib (W1) and tip rib (W11), are shown, the idea being that you use them as templates for shaping ribs sandwich fashion (not my favourite method!). The free plan was also said to have errors on it relating to the ribs, which was a bit off putting too.

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 27/09/2018 07:59:21:

You have done such a nice job on this Kevin it is a shame it is a 'hanger queen', has it flown yet and if so how was it? I remember admiring this model when I got the free plan and reading Michael Parry's build article in RCM&E but I felt that the build was probably beyond my meagre skills at the time. He fitted a Thunder Tiger 91FS, what did you fit? I note from the (free) plan that only the root rib (W1) and tip rib (W11), are shown, the idea being that you use them as templates for shaping ribs sandwich fashion (not my favourite method!). The free plan was also said to have errors on it relating to the ribs, which was a bit off putting too.

I guess I just have my favourites. Powered by an OS91FS.

I used the full size plan for my build and cheated on the wings and had a set of foam ones made.

You may just have shamed me into flying her this weekend.

Kev

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 28/09/2018 06:26:09:

Let us know how the maiden goes Kevin if you get a chance to fly her, a picture would be even better. smiley Do you recall if the full size plan showed all the ribs or did you have to make the ribs sandwich fashion before you went for the foam wing option? I wonder if a Laser 80 would suit this model?

Will try for picture's, although the only one who can drive a camera at my club is me!!

I did build one wing as per the plan using the sandwich method. I just felt like a foam wing. The plan only shows root and tip ribs.

Originally I was going to use a Laser 80!!

port wing construction (18).jpg

The rest of the picture's are HERE.

Kev

Took the Gull to the patch yesterday.

As is required by club rules a sound test was required.

Failed big time.

OSFS-90 the older pre surpass type.

On a Master Airscrew 14x6 it is loud at over 85db!

So now on the search for a prop that will reduce the noise to <82db. APC and probably an inch up in size. I will keep you updated.

Kev

Posted by Denis Watkins on 01/10/2018 08:55:36:

2 things Kevin

The older type silencer was a bit small, and Just engines do a larger 4 stroke quiet type that works

And the 15 x 6 prop you suggest, can even be a 16 x 6 for the test

Engine is fitted with a larger OS type silencer. That is how I got it!

Do you think it will take a 16x6, as I have one of them somewhere. Will it not be to much prop?

Kev

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 01/10/2018 09:59:25:

Why did you decide to fit the OS91FS Kevin, instead of the Laser 80, perhaps you needed the Laser for another model?

Very tidy build by the way. yes

The laser is a very old tired engine now. I was worried it would not be up to the job. I got the OS90 BNIB old stock for a steal. had it checked over by the club guru who confirmed it has had hardly any use.

Still have it in a cupboard somewhere.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 01/10/2018 18:00:54

I'd have tried going down in diameter and up in pitch to load the engine and reduce the tip speeds, which generates the majority of the noise. My starting point for a 90 FS is 14 x 7 which has got several of the clones through our 82dB noise test but a 14 x 8 might be worth trying.

The Just Engines silencer has a simple baffle added to the standard sized silencer mid-way through the expansion chamber.

Could try another club, shame that having a model and unable to get the most of it.

If over-propping it to get the noise down and decreasing performance. isnt good. 82db is very stringent, really and cannot think of many airframes - even electric of going below that, unless its a hand-launch glider!