I need a photo editing programme

Erfolg

For windows 98 I used Mircrosoft Picture it. This no longer worked when I went to windows 7.

I then used a free package called Serif PhotoPlus SE Pro, the title was at least great. This was not reinstalled (by the PC repair shop) when my PC went AWOL after a windows update.

I need a reasonable Photo Editor, as I use them to manipulate images for printing Decals and also imprting some photos.

What is out there, any advice and ideas?

Advert

Of course, Photoshop is the very best, but only really practical fot a professional user. However, you can pick up an older version on the web for not very much. It seems complicated, and it is, but you can pick up the basics quite easily. lt really is superb, and you will pick up something new every day. I certainly do, and I taught it from version 1

Elements is much cheaper, I picked one up last year at a sale for around a fiver

ernie

It does rather depend on what sort of photo editing you want to do.

As Ernie suggests if you want to do the most complex stuff then Photoshop is the ideal tool but if it is just a case to cropping, resizing, cut and paste with simple contrast and colour adjustment then a free product like Paint.net (which I use) is perfectly adequate.

You can't buy Photoshop as hard copy any longer you have to go the hire route if you want it. But Gimp is very close to it and free to download

P.S. be prepared for a fairly steep learning curve, but there are numerous online tutorials !!

Edited By Ultymate on 11/10/2018 22:09:24

I have down loaded Gimp, as is usual for me, I thought absolutely useless, as what I wanted to do did not happen.

I then went onto YouTube and watched a couple of tutorials, where a lot became clear. Still a long way from incompetent, although I reckon a few more days or weeks i will have scaled to the hight, ready to clamber onward towards OK.

Grimp does have some features that were part of "PictureIt", so those aspects have been rekindled, almost.

I had a very old copy of Photoshop, obtained when my employer went form individual PCs to a networked system, As with powerful tools, you often have to either learn it, having some idea of the design concept or go the Microsoft/Apple/etc to intuitive systems.

I have tried the Paint box route and got nowhere. I think mainly because I ignored the idea of having a canvas, and layering. Plus scaling down did not maintain the detail, as i guess the engine is pretty basic without a lot of the interpolation algorithms.

I will be back I guess asking for help.

\There are two issues at present I am struggling with, the first is scaling an image, as it is not as yet happening, the other is finding the right font style and then altering the thickness of the text. For the moment I will struggle on with these aspects.