DLE or NGH petrol engines

tigerman

Thinking of installing a petrol engine in a Acro Wot XL.Having never use a petrol engine ,always had glow but must move with the times and it seems petrol is the future of ic models I can not decide on going for the slight more expensive 35cc DLE engine or the cheaper NGH engine from Just Engines ..Some times it is cheaper to buy the dearer engine over the cheaper engine but what is the quality of these NGH engine like .Because it will be my first petrol engine I am a bit lost in all the jargon just need to be put in the right direction

Advert

Tigerman, if you fly from a noise sensitive site then make sure you budget for a decent exhaust system, I've got a DLA 32 which runs great but I can't fly that model at our club site as it's above our 82 dba @ 7m noise limit, rather than spend a large sum on a larger ugly exhaust it's being re-engined with a Laser 150 glow.

I have used both NGH and DLE engines but for the Acro Wot XL it is a DLE35RA all day long. It is an awesome combination,and has given me 3 years of exhilarating performance. It also balances perfectly without additional lead.

The NGH engines (17cc and 25cc) are better suited to smaller airframes.

But, then, you might prefer a 4-stroke, which DLE don't make.

Third for Ron, my DLE 20 RA has been fine and docile since the jets were returned to factory settings then re-set, economical, clean but TOO LOUD MAN so make sure you can source, afford and fit in the plane an exhaust which will really get you below your site limits without stifling the thing. I understand that this has many more options in the larger sizes than mine.

With the benefit of hindsight I ought to have read between the lines when on point of purchase I asked about noise and the answer was, try it, might be a tad sharp, try the plug in inserts etc. The correct answer was , not a great deal you can do.

Let us know what you choose and how it goes, I might stop buying Wot 4s and get a Wot 8 next time.

BTC

Regarding DLE silencing;

Buddy and I have recently used a DLE 30 in a Ultra Stik type build and noise was a problem registering 89db. We solved it quite cheaply. Bought a Pitts type exhaust from HK at £30 and had a local welder cut and rotate the outlet pipes through 90 degrees so they were facing back along the bottom of the fuselage.

We then bought 2 of these s/steel mufflers;

**LINK**

These are essentially flow through mufflers.

Connected them with 16mm ID silicone tubing. Noise now 75db side and 78db front. It sounds really nice and it looks good too.

Rob

Edited By TigerOC on 06/11/2018 21:59:14

Hi Don yes you are right I do have a Laser 180 in my Wots Wot XL and yes it is a perfect combination and I love my 180 .It just I that I keep being told at our club field not to be a dinosaur a move with the times , now you mentioned it a Laser 180 would be a better bet ,I just love the sound of the Laser engine . I think the answer is simple really .It is obvious it is starring me in the face .I love Laser engines ,I am not that keen on 2 stokes ,I prefer 4 stokes so I have answer my own question .Wait until Jon brings out that long awaited 4 stoke petrol engine !!!!!!!!!!!! Problem resolved yes

Been using DLE singles and twins for myself, and fitted many for club mates for last 10 years. Never had a problem apart from the noisy original silencers that came with the engine.

I fit good quality silencers, and cans on mine. Makes a noticeable difference.

Edited By Ronaldo on 06/11/2018 22:45:23

Edited By Ronaldo on 06/11/2018 22:46:54

I would recommend DLE over NGH. I have been using both.

The NGH 35 muffler will not last and you will have to get an aftermarket one. For DLE too you would need to get one in case you need to better muffle the sound.

Additionally, NGH seems to be no longer being produced so long run support is questionable. he DLE is still being made and there are plenty of them flying around the world so parts should not be an issue for a long time