Gas soldering Torch

Stearman65

Advert

I have a Bernzomatic gas soldering torch which I use quite a bit. A word of warning though - they work by directing very hot gas onto the soldering bit. This gas has to go somewhere and there is a vent on the side so the hot gas comes out at right angles. Don't forget about it - a scorched bench and melted Depron is the result if you do!!

Posted by Dave Hess on 16/11/2018 23:50:13:

.Why not just get a normal 60w mains one?

I have one, had it years. Had a Weller gun type before that, acquired that in the 70's. Pain in the butt having to loosen the tip nuts then tighten them, I see the have screw headed tip tightening screws now. Just looked at a few on YouTube, a guy demonstrated a conventional mains powered iron. a gas iron & a cordless battery iron which came out best in the test. Interesting.

Edited By Stearman65 on 17/11/2018 00:02:11

Some lads have no hesitation getting the iron out and soldering up a Lipo connector

They have a method and procedure that they follow and sensibly, some form of holding device.

2 bare ends on a Lipo pack could be catastrophic we know

My advice to colleagues is buy the pack with the correct connectors fitted.

Very Last Resort, to solder a pack connector.

I know, I am soft

Stearman65

Might be worth asking what soldering jobs you want to do?

I have gas for some jobs, mains for others and could not really get on with battery powered underpowered and the battery didn't last that long only a couple of (years).

PS I use EC3 and EC5 connectors, no issues with heat transfer to the plug body and nice connection with the gas and then mains electric for all other wiring (Weller given as a present 45 years ago!).

Stearman65

Might be worth asking what soldering jobs you want to do?

I have gas for some jobs, mains for others and could not really get on with battery powered underpowered and the battery didn't last that long only a couple of (years).

PS I use EC3 and EC5 connectors, no issues with heat transfer to the plug body and nice connection with the gas and then mains electric for all other wiring (Weller given as a present 45 years ago!).

Have a Dremel gas torch, quite good quality, spills heat out of the side exactly as Colin says. Not particularly good on LiPos and Deans. An electronically enabled clubmate asserts that it’s about the size of the tip which really counts, as a bulkier tip retains more heat and effects a hotter, cleaner joint. Struggled to find one at hobby prices though.

Size does matter!

BTC

Gents, I agree with Bruce, it's about the amount of heat you can transfer to the area to be soldered and the ability to work quickly to reduce the danger of collateral damage. gas or electric source makes no difference. on some occasions I've used 2 smaller irons and achieved a better results

Good but not cheap, I have 2 one for work one for modelling, also have a good selection of other tips

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003H6NN2Q/ref=asc_df_B003H6NN2Q56926032/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B003H6NN2Q&linkCode=df0&hvadid=271967412945&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13679328175665735150&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007064&hvtargid=pla-420455844133

Personally I wouldn't use anything other than an electric soldering iron for LiPo connectors. I have a small but powerful temperature controlled iron I use for 4mm bullet connectors and XT60s. It makes up for it's it lack of thermal capacity (ie heat retention) by being able to maintain its temperature because of the power (it's 60 watts IIRC).

For bigger soldering jobs I use a 120 watt Henley Solon. It's massive and gets its thermal capacity from its sheer size (ie a big lump of copper). I've had it for over 60 years and used it to repair vintage motor cycle fuel tanks in the past (they were soft soldered) so it's well up to the job if you don't need dainty

Geoff