BMFA SUBS

CARPERFECT

Posted by CARPERFECT on 29/11/2018 07:55:59:

So doing it online, you have to print your own bmfa membership off, no plastic protection on it, I got a reply back from the bmfa, well when it gets torn or grubby print another. If i renew through the club or on the phone, will i get the proper one, plastic covered ? And for all who are going to moan, DO NOT BOTHER. I just want something to put in my wallet, and when i need to produce it it can, without it falling to bits

You won't get a plastic covered membership slip any more. I called the BMFA and enquired if the forms were/would be available  so I could print them for club member. Answer NO . They are discontinued so either get some laminating pouches or clear film to do your own. We were sold this "New improved system" being told it will make life quicker and simpler for club secretary's ? So far it's just left us confused and probably with a lot more work ie; providing plastic pouches for BMFA certificates for one. 

That's progress I guess , or am I just being a sceptic ? I live in hope that the haze will clear and doing bulk renewals will become a clear and simple process .

I won't have to do so much work on renewals . Just off to find some laminating pouches and a laminating machine to do the cards angry 

Ps We had our AGM last night .our longstanding treasurer has resigned as the new system relies on the internet and he has a poor service  . None of this was taken into account it appears . Everyone has excellent broadband ? I don't think so.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 29/11/2018 09:12:37

Posted by Steve J on 29/11/2018 09:17:25:

Posted by Engine Doctor on 29/11/2018 08:59:02:

That's progress I guess , or am I just being a sceptic ?

When the new system was announced I naively assumed that I would be able to make one payment through it to pay my BMFA and my various club memberships. This is not the case. This year I am going to be doing one online payment, posting two checks and doing one bank transfer much the same as I did last year.

I assume that one of the main drivers for moving to the new system is to reduce the BMFA's admin costs. Would we be looking at another £1 on the fees with the old system?

Steve

The old system was no longer supported by the developers, wasn't GDPR compliant and had a number of other issues. There was simply no option but to replace it.

Posted by Peter Christy on 29/11/2018 09:24:35:

ED: Excellent point! Our club secretary doesn't have a computer at all! Particularly for those who live "out in the sticks", this could be a real problem.

I had assumed that the new system would work in parallel with the old one. Is this not the case?

--

Pete

He will get the paper pack the same. Its not a problem at all.

Hi

I guess I’m lucky having excellent broadband so can only speak of my experience.

The process was very fast, surprised me how quick it was. At last a system that did most of what I expected. I was however slightly surprised to find that I am apparently now affiliated through one of the clubs I belong to when in fact I had stayed a Country member to not give preference to one club. Did I do something wrong? For info, I taped my “membership card” inside my old one this time but suspect that next year I”ll laminate it. BTW you can get ‘cold seal’ laminate pouches which may be an option, both routes at a cost though, albeit not great.

I would like to know about the affiliation though so I can correct matters. Or is the BMFA not allowing me to stay a country member? Confused!

S

Andy, what's the procedure for ratifying club examiners/ instructors for the coming year?

Thanks.

I don't understand the worry about not getting a laminated membership card. I bet 90% of them were getting  thrown into a drawer and forgotten about. If you go to fly-ins or comps and need to show proof of membership, how difficult can it be to come up with a solution for yourself?

Edited By Cuban8 on 29/11/2018 10:31:36

Posted by Cuban8 on 29/11/2018 10:24:33:

Andy, what's the procedure for ratifying club examiners/ instructors for the coming year?

Thanks?

Same procedure as last for club examiners,approved/qualified instructors.

Registered club instructors are a club role that you assign on the portal witha facility to create a certificate for them if you wish on the portal. Club instructor status as it is not assessed and is only specific to an ndividual club no longer appears on the membership card.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 29/11/2018 10:27:28:

Thanks?

Registered club instructors are a club role that you assign on the portal witha facility to create a certificate for them if you wish on the portal. Club instructor status as it is not assessed and is only specific to an ndividual club no longer appears on the membership card.

OK, so looking at the 'Achievements' and 'qualifications'tabs in a members profile, there's a 'pending approval' button.....that will be used to renew the examiner for the club?

Edited By Cuban8 on 29/11/2018 10:41:55

Posted by Cuban8 on 29/11/2018 10:38:10:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 29/11/2018 10:27:28:

Thanks?

OK, so looking at the 'Achievements' tab in a members profile, there's a 'pending approval' button.....that will be used to renew the examiner for the club?

No. Due to the ratification process at the moment its still a paper form to tick and return.

Posted by Cuban8 on 29/11/2018 11:12:29:

Thanks for the info, Andy. I assumed that the old paperwork was fully defunct. Shame it can't be done by email to save postage either way.

No reason why you cannot email scanned forms back. We are already looking at electronic forms for next year. Some of the necessary tasks simply couldn't be integrated on to the new portal. Which is why for this year all clubs are receiving a hard copy pack. By 2020 renewals these will be hugely reduced if not eliminated.

Posted by Martyn K on 29/11/2018 11:19:02:

New link from the BMFA. Nice detailed instructions

BMFA Bulletin

Regards

Martyn

Martyn

Thanks for this, it appears to make clear that I am not permitted to remain a Country member if I belong also to any club. Not sure why this should be, but it appears that is what BMFA are making happen. Not heard from BMFA but it does seem to be the case.

S

Posted by Stuart Z on 29/11/2018 13:17:36:
Posted by Martyn K on 29/11/2018 11:19:02:

New link from the BMFA. Nice detailed instructions

BMFA Bulletin

Regards

Martyn

Martyn

Thanks for this, it appears to make clear that I am not permitted to remain a Country member if I belong also to any club. Not sure why this should be, but it appears that is what BMFA are making happen. Not heard from BMFA but it does seem to be the case.

S

technically speaking if you were in an affiliaited club you were not a country member anyway. It is just the old system couldn't cope with anyone who wanted to manage their own BMFA membership and be in a club so the number of those termed as a country member rocketed as many wanted to join online. About 2/3rds of those previously listed as a country member were actually in a club but simply wanted to renew directly.

You can however select "Country Member" as your primary club if you wish though. Country member is now pretty much meaningless though.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 29/11/2018 16:35:12:
Posted by Cuban8 on 29/11/2018 16:18:01:

Just another thing that's come to mind - the annual members' stickers. I'm bound to be asked, will they still be available?

Current plan is to enclose them in the 2nd BMFA news of the year.

Now that is worth a 'like'

Martyn

It has probably been mentioned already but "GO" Membership has taken a lot of time / effort / expense to set up. We went to the Southern Area presentation last night which was outstanding!. Behind the scenes the BMFA put in an inordinate amount of work for us. Long may they prosper.....and a huge well done!