BMFA SUBS

CARPERFECT

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 19/11/2018 10:25:30:

Yes, odd that. My car insurance keeps going up too.

Try shopping around, I haven't had a rise in my car insurance for several years. Make sure that you're not buying additional cover that you don't need, but that the insurance companies tend to slip in under the wire.

BMFA, still cheap agreed. Not the last rise in that though, I suspect.

Posted by Cuban8 on 19/11/2018 13:49:04:

I think I read somewhere that claims were being made against damaged models, i.e if I've understood it correctly, models wrecked in the pits by a club mate's model crashing into it. Or have I got that wrong?

Yep, it was in the last BMFA news, models either crashing into other members cars or into expensive models in the pits, means that this year the BMFA will not get a rebate from our insurer.

Posted by Martyn K on 19/11/2018 11:49:57:

If every club recruited one extra member every year, the subscription level would stay fairly static.

Fair comment but I was membership secretary of a club with about 140 members, every year we typically lost 30 Members.

These were replaced by new members. I think the majority of new members joining clubs these days are newly retired people looking for company and a new hobby. But the trend for sure is downwards, some people are members of more than one club. But of course only one BMFA sub is paid.

Posted by Andy Meade on 19/11/2018 19:10:27:
Insurance and a national body that lobbies to ensure your hobby isn't legislated out of existence.

Oh, and an achievement scheme, legal help with flying fields, running national competitions etc etc.

Quote I thought we got all that last year ! So what is the extra 8% + we are getting this year ?

If the biggest thing to worry about in your life is ?4 then you have a pretty good life.

This has been done to death already. Insurance is expensive, so was the purchase of the national flying site and I can't imagine the mag printing costs have gone down year on year.

I spend that every morning on a coffee. The BMFA does a lot for us. Be grateful and move on.

Were not all those benefits included at the old sub rate?

The question was what benefits is the 8% over the rate of inflation bringing.

I suppose this year there has been extra making our case with the authorities however if a significant part of the extra is due to rising insurance claims it does question the hobbies real level of safety and just when it doesn't need it.

Posted by Cuban8 on 19/11/2018 13:49:04:

I think I read somewhere that claims were being made against damaged models, i.e if I've understood it correctly, models wrecked in the pits by a club mate's model crashing into it. Or have I got that wrong?

Does that mean I can claim for my 7/8 Spitfire that was hit by a foamie and burst into flames, and ended up as a pile of ash that a sudden gust of wind blew awa, along with all my receipts.

Whinge, whinge, whinge.

Whine, whine, whine.

£38.00 per year = 73p per week. Less than the price of a large packet of crisps, or one of several chocolate bars (or a packet of Ginger Nuts).

I am more concerned about the increase in claim numbers, considering that there are less people paying for the insurance. If (as is argued) young people are not entering our hobby, then these claims must be being made against model flyers who are getting older. Either that, or the skill / competence of model fliers is deteriorating. How many clubs actively monitor their members ability ? I ask this because these claims affect all of us, in every club. Irrespective of where we are, or how big the club is. How many of us know of people flying models, who really shouldn't be ?

Edited By kevin b on 19/11/2018 20:22:56

Perhaps I read the article on insurance claims wrong, but it seemed to me to be a veiled indication that there could be a trend of claims for expensive model damage emerging that might be above and beyond what would be expected normally. If this is the case then it needs to be addressed urgently as inflated or fraudulent claims will do the majority of modellers no good at all!

It would be interesting to know if a number of these claims were received from a single club or geographical area?  Perhaps Andy S. could enlighten us (without any identifying details of course).

Edited By Martin Harris on 19/11/2018 22:01:21