BMFA SUBS

CARPERFECT

Posted by Cuban8 on 28/11/2018 08:09:10:

Kevin, presumably you still had to pay your club's membership fee directly to them via cash, cheque, bank transfer etc. What did your club say about paying BMFA? No axe to grind, just curious.

Cuban I still have to pay the club fees as you suggest. I always paid the BMFA as I was a Country member- I have now affiliated to my club.

The Club Membership Secretary is actively encouraging all members to pay the BMFA direct as it reduces his work. .

Posted by Keith Lomax on 27/11/2018 11:17:32:

Posted by john stones 1 on 21/11/2018 15:41:34:

Fellows get 5 votes I believe, not something I agree with, I think it's to equate to the numbers of a small club, recognise people who've contributed a lot is fair enough, but one man/woman one vote for me. Members up and down the country have put a lot into the hobby, many serve on committees, do work at clubs, these people don't get 5 votes a club level, it's a bit daft to me.

Fellows do indeed get 5 votes, but only in the specific case of a card vote at a general meeting (either Annual or Extraordinary GM). I have attended all such meetings since about 1989 (30 AGMs and 2 EGMs) and I can only remember a handful of card votes in that time; usually in relation to the subs. Most decisions are taken by a show of hands at the meetings and card votes are only called if the show of hands is close; we don't have five hands.

For the annual elections to Elected Officer and Technical Committee posts done by postal ballot (if there are enough nominations) we get the same one vote as all members.

There are currently around 40 Fellows, most of whom do not attend the AGMs, so the total combined voting strength (if all voted the same way) is less than a large club.

So, in conclusion, whilst the 5 votes per Fellow is historic and probably wouldn't be created if the Society was set up today, it has minimal (if any) impact in reality..

Keith thanks for that info - useful to know. Would be great though to change the 5 vote rule to reflect reality and demonstrate that the BMFA is more in tune with modern times and is a truly democratic organisation ... on the other hand it could leave it as it is and ...

Posted by Keith Lomax on 27/11/2018 11:17:32:

Posted by john stones 1 on 21/11/2018 15:41:34:

Fellows get 5 votes I believe, not something I agree with, I think it's to equate to the numbers of a small club, recognise people who've contributed a lot is fair enough, but one man/woman one vote for me. Members up and down the country have put a lot into the hobby, many serve on committees, do work at clubs, these people don't get 5 votes a club level, it's a bit daft to me.

Fellows do indeed get 5 votes, but only in the specific case of a card vote at a general meeting (either Annual or Extraordinary GM). I have attended all such meetings since about 1989 (30 AGMs and 2 EGMs) and I can only remember a handful of card votes in that time; usually in relation to the subs. Most decisions are taken by a show of hands at the meetings and card votes are only called if the show of hands is close; we don't have five hands.

For the annual elections to Elected Officer and Technical Committee posts done by postal ballot (if there are enough nominations) we get the same one vote as all members.

There are currently around 40 Fellows, most of whom do not attend the AGMs, so the total combined voting strength (if all voted the same way) is less than a large club.

So, in conclusion, whilst the 5 votes per Fellow is historic and probably wouldn't be created if the Society was set up today, it has minimal (if any) impact in reality..

Cheers Keith.

Posted by conrad taggart on 28/11/2018 12:41:31:
Posted by Steve J on 27/11/2018 13:23:37:

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 27/11/2018 12:31:38:

When you consider the CAA regularly mention what a "very good thing" it is to have a publication pretty much guaranteed to land on every members doormat 6 times a year

If the CAA think that the BMFA News is a "very good thing", how about asking them for some cash to help pay for it?

Steve

Exactly !

Weird as Austin, Texas!!

Edited By Levanter on 28/11/2018 14:15:02

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 28/11/2018 09:00:35:
Posted by Steve J on 28/11/2018 08:26:40:
Posted by Keith Sharples on 27/11/2018 21:59:03:
Posted by Steve J on 27/11/2018 21:48:24:
Posted by Keith Sharples on 27/11/2018 20:58:23:

find other insurance for probably more money without benefits

FPVUK £19.99.

If members migrate to the FPVUK insurance all of a sudden no affilation and loose the benifits and backup and clout of the BMFA.

Not everybody flies in a club environment and not all clubs are affiliated to the BMFA. You said the other insurance would probably be for more money. Actually the alternatives (FPVUK and LMA) are cheaper.

I really do think that the BMFA needs to have a good look at what it spends money on because if they lose more members they are going to end up in a nasty spiral.

Steve

I can assure it always does and is looking at what money is spent on.

Andy so what does its plan look like for the next 5 years in terms of what it going to differently to attract new members or even next year to increase efficiency ?

Is it going to do a branch and root review of all activity to find out how many members directly benefit from the various activities and how much they value it(*) ? Then reallocate budgets accordingly in the both the short and longer term (to help manage/ re-balance things) and invest more in attracting and appealing to new members to address the decline in membership?

For example why not consider charging members for the magazine if they want a hard copy of it. If the members truly value it surely they will pay for it? Any savings could then be used elsewhere either to appeal to new members or ploughed into more on-line / sustainable future activity ?

Conrad

(*) I would be willing to help with the latter has I have a lot of direct relevant experience

Thanks for the info Kevin. Not sure about your Secretary having less work to do by having members pay BMFA direct though. I deal with my club's membership and will be taking BMFA payments as before. Having members pay their own BMFA might be a snag for the club, as you'll inevitably get people delaying their payment until after Christmas or until much later in the year when the weather gets better. This will take time to keep a check on. I prefer to keep control of the payments, and everybody in the club will be insured by January 1st, except for one or two late joiners. What ever suits, I suppose.

Posted by nigel newby on 28/11/2018 11:28:04:

I have just had my renewal notice through the door today.

Hi Andy, just checked back on the BMFA website and it does still say not till Dec 1st.

But after digging around I found I could renew as of today. So I have, but very confusing. Especilly for an old fool like me.

Nigel N

Posted by nigel newby on 28/11/2018 15:15:49:
Posted by nigel newby on 28/11/2018 11:28:04:

I have just had my renewal notice through the door today.

Hi Andy, just checked back on the BMFA website and it does still say not till Dec 1st.

But after digging around I found I could renew as of today. So I have, but very confusing. Especilly for an old fool like me.

Nigel N

Thanks Nigel, I have just changed the website which is now hopefully much clearer. The renewal cards weren't supposed to land on doormats until 1st December but the printer sent them a bit early so we opened up the renewals early.

I'm slightly confused by the picture of the gent in the boiler suit wearing a beanie hat about to put his transmitter in his pocket whilst his mate falls sideways into a large scale nine ack.

Neither of them are me.

On a serious note, the website could use "some" debugging.

So doing it online, you have to print your own bmfa membership off, no plastic protection on it, I got a reply back from the bmfa, well when it gets torn or grubby print another. If i renew through the club or on the phone, will i get the proper one, plastic covered ? And for all who are going to moan, DO NOT BOTHER. I just want something to put in my wallet, and when i need to produce it it can, without it falling to bits

Posted by CARPERFECT on 29/11/2018 07:55:59:

So doing it online, you have to print your own bmfa membership off, no plastic protection on it, I got a reply back from the bmfa, well when it gets torn or grubby print another. If i renew through the club or on the phone, will i get the proper one, plastic covered ? And for all who are going to moan, DO NOT BOTHER. I just want something to put in my wallet, and when i need to produce it it can, without it falling to bits

Or, you can keep an image of it on your phone (if you have a suitable device) then you always have it with you. The number of times that people turn up to other clubs and fly-ins etc. without the card should be reduced.