BMFA SUBS

CARPERFECT

Posted by Steve J on 21/11/2018 15:45:32:
Posted by Martyn K on 21/11/2018 15:20:18:

BMFA News is almost self funding from Advertising revenue.

Where are you getting that from? All that I can see in the budget is a line for "BMFA News Costs".

Steve

It would be nice if it was self funding, but the £158k is the net cost after less than £20k of advertising revenue. There is a new advertising agent and early indications are that the advertising revenue will increase (but not eightfold!).

Edited By Keith Lomax on 27/11/2018 10:58:46

Posted by john stones 1 on 21/11/2018 15:41:34:

Fellows get 5 votes I believe, not something I agree with, I think it's to equate to the numbers of a small club, recognise people who've contributed a lot is fair enough, but one man/woman one vote for me. Members up and down the country have put a lot into the hobby, many serve on committees, do work at clubs, these people don't get 5 votes a club level, it's a bit daft to me.

Fellows do indeed get 5 votes, but only in the specific case of a card vote at a general meeting (either Annual or Extraordinary GM). I have attended all such meetings since about 1989 (30 AGMs and 2 EGMs) and I can only remember a handful of card votes in that time; usually in relation to the subs. Most decisions are taken by a show of hands at the meetings and card votes are only called if the show of hands is close; we don't have five hands.

For the annual elections to Elected Officer and Technical Committee posts done by postal ballot (if there are enough nominations) we get the same one vote as all members.

There are currently around 40 Fellows, most of whom do not attend the AGMs, so the total combined voting strength (if all voted the same way) is less than a large club.

So, in conclusion, whilst the 5 votes per Fellow is historic and probably wouldn't be created if the Society was set up today, it has minimal (if any) impact in reality..

Posted by Keith Lomax on 27/11/2018 10:58:29:
Posted by Steve J on 21/11/2018 15:45:32:
Posted by Martyn K on 21/11/2018 15:20:18:

BMFA News is almost self funding from Advertising revenue.

Where are you getting that from? All that I can see in the budget is a line for "BMFA News Costs".

Steve

It would be nice if it was self funding, but the £158k is the net cost after less than £20k of advertising revenue. There is a new advertising agent and early indications are that the advertising revenue will increase (but not eightfold!).

Edited By Keith Lomax on 27/11/2018 10:58:46

Works out at about 75p per issue. When you consider the CAA regularly mention what a "very good thing" it is to have a publication pretty much guaranteed to land on every members doormat 6 times a year and without the news there would be a need for some direct mail postings instead (you cant send an A4 sheet of paper for less than £1) it is phenomenal value for money.

Also consider that currently over 4000 members do not have a registered email address with the BMFA and then there are those where their email address isn't current. The BMFA News is currently worth every penny and excellent value for money.

Posted by Steve J on 27/11/2018 13:23:37:

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 27/11/2018 12:31:38:

When you consider the CAA regularly mention what a "very good thing" it is to have a publication pretty much guaranteed to land on every members doormat 6 times a year

If the CAA think that the BMFA News is a "very good thing", how about asking them for some cash to help pay for it?

Steve

I will assume that isn't a serious suggestion.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 27/11/2018 12:31:38:

When you consider the CAA regularly mention what a "very good thing" it is to have a publication pretty much guaranteed to land on every members doormat 6 times a year

If the CAA think that the BMFA News is a "very good thing", how about asking them for some cash to help pay for it?

Steve

Posted by Steve J on 27/11/2018 13:54:41:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 27/11/2018 13:49:41:

It is a serious suggestion. At the moment, having the BMFA News sent out to the membership six times a year costs the CAA nothing so of course they say that it a good thing. Ask them to sponsor and write a column and see if they still think that it is such a good thing.

Steve

The benefit is to us as members of the CAA thinking it's a very good thing. I am somewhat surprised you cannot see that.

"Top of my list stuff that could be looked at is the £63k for International Teams. Some where further down is the £4k that the Free Flight Technical Committee spend (no other Technical committee has a budget of more than £2k)."

I think most national sporting bodies try and make some funds available for competition support?

Free Flight Technical Committee spend does seem rather high. What is it going on?

C'mon boys - surely it's obvious that the CAA would see a magazine being distributed directly to each member as the work of a professionally run organisation? With the capability of reaching a high proportion of model flyers, safety, airspace and other legislation matters can be brought to the attention of model flyers efficiently and within a couple of months. Isn't this all part of ensuring that the BMFA continues to be in a position to defend and enhance the position of model flyers in an increasingly complex environment?

Posted by Guvnor on 27/11/2018 15:40:38:

What worries me more than anything is the numbers of BMFA members who admit to binning the BMFA news as it comes through the door, evidently having failed to look for any urgent safety or technical notices. talk about reponsible flyers.

I think some people think it's "cool" to claim to put it straight in the bin, I suspect many of them do sneak off somewhere private to have a quick read.

Posted by Steve J on 27/11/2018 19:06:43:

having failed to look for any urgent safety or technical notices

I wouldn't expect somebody wishing to promulgate "urgent safety or technical notices" to rely solely on a magazine that is published six times a year.

Steve

Nor would I Steve. If it was really that urgent that it had to go out immediately I am sure there would be many other means of getting the message out. Otherwise for technical notices, once every two months sounds more than adequate even if there were that many notices.

Levanter

Posted by Steve J on 27/11/2018 19:06:43:

having failed to look for any urgent safety or technical notices

I wouldn't expect somebody wishing to promulgate "urgent safety or technical notices" to rely solely on a magazine that is published six times a year.

Steve

But thats partly what it's for. Go and ask the CAA...