Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed

Advert

Posted by Marc Osbourne on 04/01/2019 18:13:54:

Hi guys, we have got one of the 5kw heaters coming for our own workshop, what is everyone using as a 12v power supply other than a 12v battery of course, any ideas for a 240v to 12v transformer etc that could be used instead?

I'm using one of THESE. It works perfectly.

My heater is under a bench with the inlet and exhaust going straight through the wall behind the bench. This made filling it with diesel pretty tricky. What I've done is to fit a 10 litre fuel tank to the side of the bench, making it much easier to see the fuel level and fill it as well as having a larger tank. The power supply is now fitted inside the case where the original 5 litre tank used to be.

Posted by Engine Doctor on 29/12/2018 17:33:35:
Posted by Martin Harris on 29/12/2018 17:16:49:

I've taken the plunge too. I have a Royal Mail tracking number from a seller in Liverpool...fingers crossed for the ETA of Monday week but the Royal Mail tracking site isn't giving me any info yet - although I've been using things for days before getting any updates from them in the past!

I have just just ordered one from a firm in Liverpool as well, priced at £159.99 . Expected delivery is 8th to 10th of Jan . I wont be holding my breath though. I ordered one from a Manchester based firm early in December at £142.99 and noticed that all others on e-bay were then costing £150 plus .I had a refund just before Christmas probably as they didn't want to sell for the lower price . Excuse was that new stock was faulty ?

P.S If its not here by mid January then no hope as its Chinese new year and everything closes down for a week or so

Edited By Engine Doctor on 29/12/2018 17:40:32

Well, I suspect that mine might be in the dodgy trader boat (literally as well as figuratively...)

After several days, nothing had changed on the tracking page so I checked with Royal Mail and the tracking number was unrecognised. I raised the matter with the seller, who stated he'd check with the courier and update me within 48 hours. I did get an update, telling me nothing but asking me to be patient but not to worry as they would resolve any problems...hmmm...

I took a firmer line and told them that I suspected that the stock in Liverpool didn't exist and that I would be reporting the matter to Ebay unless they could supply me with a valid tracking number or refund my money immediately. The reply was that they had sent it by Yodel.

As the expected delivery was shown as early next week, I told them I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and hold off raising a dispute until the window has expired. I fully expected to be doing so on Wednesday evening.

Except that I idly clicked on the Royal Mail tracking site this evening (left it in an open tab) and the tracking number is now active as of 2 pm today and showing as "item in preparation" for 48 hour tracked delivery! I know I'm not out of the woods but I do wonder if they have sourced one in the UK to get to me in time to head off a dispute case?

...and to cap it all, the silencer arrived from a different seller today and despite the picture, it's the central straight through tube type one. It might be that it's designed to damp the exhaust vibrations (it feels like there could be some packing) but as far as I can see there's no holes to allow expansion. Sooting up shouldn't be a problem though! Has anyone used this type or are we assuming that they are ineffective?

Martin McI or ED - any sign of yours yet?

ADVICE. I know a number have ordered the heaters and once you have them up and running please don’t try to alter the settings of fuel to air mixture with the LCD. It’s a lot more complicated than you know and usually results in a non starting sooted up unit or at least fault codes coming up on the controller which aren’t easy to cure. In short no working unit.

So leave well alone and if it gets too hot in your shed either turn the heater off or open a door and let some of the heat out but don’t think you can reduce the heat output of your heater by playing with the settings... It does NOT work. Regards Peter

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 06/01/2019 09:51:47

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 06/01/2019 09:52:34

Hi Martin .No sign yet ! Supposedly it's been dispatched and a tracking number issued but nothing on there yet !! Possibly a fake tracking number ? Delivery date is 10 the to 12 the Jan so to issue a tracking no nearly a fortnight before is odd . We will see in the next few days .

E.D.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 06/01/2019 10:44:01

Having big problems with the seller. Messaged him to report the damage and asked for a replacement or refund. Would you believe he denies selling it to me, and wanted a screenshot of the transaction, something I have never been successful with.

I contacted paypal just to confirm that payment had indeed been made to him. We agreed that sending him the item and pp transaction No. should suffice. He now refuses to reply to my messages so I gave him until yesterday to respond otherwise I would have no option other than to open a dispute, which I shall do tomorrow.

So don`t buy from Magicangels/Huangzifeng.

I'm not sure where the 2kW minimum setting has come from.

The specs I've read for the 5kW heater show the HEAT OUTPUT as 4kW maximum down to 900W minimum.

If 900W is too much then you need a different type of heater. I can't agree with the concept of leaving the heater on but opening the door / window to let the heat escape.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 06/01/2019 13:32:00

I really do hope that I am protected by Paypal. I once had to open a dispute when I bought a used 12V TV. The few bits of cardboard it had been wrapped in did not stop the rain and water poured out. Unfortunately some idiot on goods in signed for it. Paypal told me to send it back at my expense. They then deemed it case closed leaving me with no TV and £40 lighter. Hope things have changed since then.

By the way, this one states that it is adjustable between 5 and 1kW. They had better be since I am heating a 5x3m shed not a hangar.

Posted by PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 06/01/2019 12:53:11:

Hi Martin. Hope is was not Million Billion as I understand he is not selling them now - perhaps he has had his wings clipped by eBay / PayPal... either way your protected by eBay but you could do without the agro.

No - mine goes by the name "aokaifushi" and has sold some of these heaters with good feedback about fast delivery - although not perfect with some negatives. I'm hoping he wants to stay in with Ebay as he's approaching 23000 sales...there was certainly a change in status of the Royal Mail tracking number shortly after I gave him a deadline for opening a dispute - it remains to be seen whether this will be followed up by the heater actually being dispatched!

On the positive side, message responses have been fairly quick.

I know Ebay/Paypal have attracted some negative comments (particularly from sellers regarding their charges and conditions) but they do have a good track record when it comes to dealing with buyers' problems.

Hi Gary. Advertised at all different ratings but at the end of the day they are a furnace and the fuel / air mixture controls the heat output and for the same unit if you put in more fuel and air youget more heat output but you don’t have an infinite control as the operating window for correct combustion is relatively narrow. I use the advertised 5 kw heaters for both my wife’s craft cabin and my shed and as such I have the advantage that I can warm up both quickly with a lot of heat the heater then cuts back after the set temperature is reached but this time factor depends on the outside temperature and how hot you set the temperature inside. The comment I made was to either switch the heater off a while or open a door or window which is not an issue. If you had an electric heater you have a choice of altering a stat or turning it off so little difference between the two systems except the diesel system is considerably less cost to run. At the end of the day the choice is yours as of course you don’t have to buy one... The idea of this post was to inform people of a good simple cost effective system but it won’t be to everyone’s liking. Regards Peter

Thanks Peter, I should know later today - tracking indicates arrival within 4 hours of now.

A word of warning for others interested - the silencer I ordered (carefully selecting one with offset pipes indicating a baffled type) came as a central pipe straight through version. The good news is that the seller has refunded my Paypal so I now have to try to locate a baffled one. At least I can do a comparative test when I get the right type!

Any recommendation where I can get the baffled one from?

The rivnut was one of the heater unit mounting base fixings - one other was slightly loose but otherwise all was well. The unit gave me a moment of concern while demonstrating it to 'er indoors last night - I got a glow plug error code but realised that the battery I was testing with was too low...a different battery cured that. I do have a 26A power supply (sitting by my 3D printer anticipating the failure of the supplied PU!) which I may use eventually - possibly using it as a float charger across a battery in case of power failure/meltdown problems on a sudden shut down - the internal heat exchanger shows up to 200 degrees C although there's a reasonable air gap to the casing around it.

The straight through silencer does make a small difference but I've ordered the Banggood one as linked by Gary - the air intake filter makes a large one! It reminds me how much noise I used to get from my velocity stacks on my Bonneville - which drowned the sound of the exhausts when opening the throttle hard!

First impressions are very favourable with fast warm up of the air in my only semi-insulated concrete double garage/workshop. Time will tell regarding economy and reliability but thanks for putting me onto these heaters Peter.