Servo rotation

Peter Russell 3

Advert

How is your soldering? You are unlikely to be able to increase the throw at the Tx end sufficiently to get 180 degrees from a standard servo.

It is theoretically possible to modify the servo amps to achieve 180 degree travel, but it is not a job for the faint hearted or inexperienced! There are many pitfalls.awaiting the unwary. It might be easier just to try and get some 180 degree servos - if anyone sells them any more....!

--

Pete

If you use a programmable servo and a compatible programmer, you can extend the "out of the box" end-points.

As an example, the Hitec HS-5245MG can be extended from the default 118 degrees to 199.5 degrees.

Servo spec databases you can find online don't always show the full details. I have found that Servo City show more data than most. Here is their data for the HS-5245MG as an example.

Here is a suitable programmer.

Peter.

I am using a servo to open a steam valve in a model locomotive.

Ive used a toothed belt and two pulleys of equal teeth with one pulley on the steam valve the other I have mounted on the servo.

If I can get a half turn of the servo giving me a half turn on the steam valve using the throttle channel on my Tx with the stick going from full down to full up I will have achieved my object only mini servos will fit ie 12 x 23 x 21 mm.

Hope this helps

Pete Russell 3

Posted by Peter Russell 3 on 07/12/2018 13:35:23:

Peter.

I am using a servo to open a steam valve in a model locomotive.

Ive used a toothed belt and two pulleys of equal teeth with one pulley on the steam valve the other I have mounted on the servo.

Pete Russell 3

Is it possible to get different sized pulleys, i.e if the pulley on the servo is twice the dia of the one on the valve, you'll get the same effect as twice the angular throw.

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 07/12/2018 14:14:00

Please see my post on `Don`t just stand there, get one up!`

If the servo has wiring to the potentiometer , `pot`, and to the motor as opposed to ones which are directly soldered to the PCB then you can add resistors to each end of the pot. Try values from 1K0 to 2K7 (1000 to 2700 Ohms) which will extend the travel. For flaps I have used TGY 180D`s to great effect.

Couple of thoughts. The proportional servos with 180° rotation are used by the flying cameras people, and the robot builders. They have their own websites.

One which has the dimensions you need is on the HobbyKing site, is a analogue servo, cheap. SKU is 9399000001. If you want to up its power a bit, run it on a 2s LiFe battery, 6.6 volts. But you may need a charger for this battery. I did see they were selling a B6 charger for a small price on special offer the other day. But that's about the end of the knowledge tree for me.

• 4 months later...

HI all,sorry if this is the wrong place for this post, but I have couple of the black DX6s that I use for buddy box training,I fetched the master tranny out tonight to charge up battery and to check all controls. I appear to have a problem with my Aileron potentiometer, which I confirmed by using the monitor function.

Where do I get my Spektrum gear repaired these days, Can anyone point me in the right direction,please.

Anthony.

Edited By Handyman on 14/04/2019 19:50:40

Posted by Doc Marten on 14/04/2019 21:29:40:

Don't the boat guys use 180 servos for winches?

Sail winches rotate more like 720 degrees. I can't remember exactly and I can't easily check the one in my incomplete Thames barge hull but that's some where near.

Geoff