Gatwick drone incident

Peter Miller

I used to do crime scene investigation. If I, in times past, was tasked with sorting a drone out,

I would prefer undameaged, battery flat. Not touched.

But shot down with a shotgun would be preferred (assuming it didn't come down into a sewerage plant, etc) to caught in a net. A net is going to lose and contaminate a lot of evidence. But £40,000 spent looking closely would leave someone with a worry.

Advert

Posted by Nigel R on 21/12/2018 12:59:22:

"So why all the continued ranting in this thread"

At a guess, because here are "drones" very publicly making the headlines for all the wrong reasons, and like it or not, we as a hobby closely related to them, are looking at incurring collateral damage should anything come to pass of this unfortunate episode. Maybe we won't. Maybe nothing at all will happen that affects us. But that, that would be the very best outcome we can hope for.

I have noticed that when I meet friends and family a very frequent question is whether I've got a drone yet...I'm afraid the public assume there's a very close relationship between model flying and drones. The BMFA have made efforts to be inclusive, for not unreasonable justifications, but in retrospect perhaps some of the reservations I felt at the time might have some substance.

However, the BMFA have a good track record in sensible interaction and negotiation with the CAA and I'm fairly confident that between them, the worst excesses of any knee jerk reaction from politicians will be tempered.

I would hope that no one on this forum would see the persons who have caused the chaos and consequent upheaval to every day citizens in anything but most disparaging terms.

Yet some object to a very fair description of them.

The acts have been criminal, certainly not worthy of any admiration,

Although I have been told in the past, I lack any sentimentality, being far more fact orientated, I truly feel for those that this short period, presents an emotional and practical opportunity to meet with those who for various reasons they are unable to normally visit. For some, these selfish acts at best will have delayed the event, at worst, they will not meet.

Then there is the aftermath as far as us modelers are concerned. Personally I would accept that for owners and users of drones  are subjected tosome additional major constraints. To that end I would expect that the BMFA can see that any call for the imposition of additional controls is justified, Also that the operation of both fixed wing and helicopter modeling activities is very different, in the technical capability of control as undertaken by the majority, in the locations, manner in which they are flown and above all, the significant differences in alleged breeches of the CAA regulations.

As has been suggested most sporting organisations limit there ambitions as to whom they represent, the FA is quite distinct from the RFU, as is LTA, all ball sports

Edited By Erfolg on 21/12/2018 16:46:32

I do hope the person or persons responsible for this do get caught as if they get away then there will be an aftermath.

If the drone or drones were preset in waypoints and GPS and not by radio control as it has been suggested, then what good will additional control be imposed on radio control use and the future drones won't broadcast user id or transponder over the wavelengths when queried by relevant authorities as User ID and/or transponder technology could be removed or switched off in the drone by that person.

To have and continue our hobby, I would welcome such technology as I don't have anything to hide.

Thank you.

Posted by Cuban8 on 21/12/2018 12:07:37:

My club doesn't encourage them and doesn't accept new members that wish to fly drones exclusively. We wouldn't want them seen by the public or local residents, operating from our field other than in a very limited manner close to the patch. The interest among members for filming the same bit of ground over and over again has since worn off. We do have a small drone racing group but this is hardly the same thing and they tend to go elsewhere anyway, where there are more obstacles and trees. This decision was made by the club in consultation with our members a couple of years ago BTW. Not on message, but convince me that we're wrong.

I'm not sure that helicopters have that much more in common with fixed wing models than MR's do. Many clubs were very reluctant to accept helicopters when they first began to appear but now most see them as part of the furniture. MR's now have a definite following in one of my clubs & TBH don't raise any objection so long as they are being operated legaly.

Personaly I have no interest in either helis or drones & frankly at times find them both a bit of a nuisance but I also realise that my gliders are probably a nuisance to rotor wing pilots.

What I do not understand is how the place(s) where the drones are landing have not been discovered, plus drones and possibly the culprits. The drone(s) must be landing regularly because of their battery limitations. A large contingent of police and army have been in the vicinity of the drones and watching them now for more than a day.

The suggestion of a reward be it £10, 000 will probably have the idiots behind bars, faster than you can say Moron.

Patmac both fixed wing and helicopters both operate from a specific location with quite a small spatial volume of viable operation. My objection to quads is that the owners of the devices numerically break UK laws far to frequently. It reminds me of the CB days of yore.

Just my thoughts but whatever we choose to call the person/persons responsible, It seems fairly obvious it's being done for some twisted political reasoning.. Some protest or point they feel justified in making.

It certainly needs stopping but I for one just hope that the Government don't legislate with some knee-jerk reaction. Banning drones won't work, just as banning guns hasn't stopped gun crime.

Like PatMc, I have zero interest in either drones or helicopters but I don't want to see a ban on them. Flying them properly and sensibly is harmless and provides enjoyment to many.

In all fairness, money talks, and if a reward of seven figures were offered, a quick whip-round by the business stakeholders would not take long to raise.

I don't entirely believe it has happened, but I see no evidence to deny, that the terrorists, enemy agents, pond-life, tree-huggers, and single issue psychopaths have found a cheap, safe (for them), way to shut down the world's air traffic.

Edited By Don Fry on 21/12/2018 18:59:08

Without doubt it is a politically necessity to act and be seen to act, irrespective of the party in power.

In reality it is impractical to ban drones, they are to useful. Although it is quite possible to create a regulatory regime where it is impractical for the casual user to own or operate one. The very real danger is that we would be caught up in that regime. Commercial drones are here to stay.

It is easy to be critical of knee jerk regulations, yet if similar escapades are allowed to proliferate, will we be critising the government for not doing enough. It is in this present environment, that disassociation from drones, may be our only way of surviving, in any form as we are today. Sometimes tough decisions have to be taken.

Posted by Erfolg on 21/12/2018 18:29:41:

Patmac both fixed wing and helicopters both operate from a specific location with quite a small spatial volume of viable operation.

Not sure I agree with the emboldend statement & I don't know what point you're making either, Erf.

Posted by SONNY MONKS on 21/12/2018 20:16:21:

okay patmc,What would your opinion be,if you had of been waiting to board a plane that day! im quite sure all those people at the airport would be agreeing with me pal!!!!

Why are you asking me silly questions ? Pal ?

If you see a fixed wing or helicopter model, you will have a very good idea from where they are operating. The volume of airspace that they operate within, is generally quite well defined. The types of models that us modelist use do not have a control system that allows predefined flight paths to be flown. Nor are they conceived with the ability to operate autonomously.

Although this and many other incidents involving quads has been noted and reported, there are many others which have not. Generally it would be assumed that only 10% are noted.