Electric setup advice

I really like IC and only recently added electric back into the mix for it its 'lunch-hour' convenience. But unless a total beginner has a natural affinity with engines, then I'd argue that tit-ing about with IC (unless a club has a dedicated IC trainer, or a member is holding your hand, setting up your own model sweetly and solving any further tuning problems for you) is a distraction to learning to fly. Too much sometimes to fuss with before you're airborne, then you won't have enough mental energy left for the actual pilot-load.

Join a club Will, and benefit from a proper training programme with an instructor who knows his onions. I say this as someone who hadn't flown RC man-and-boy before I started about five years ago, and wasted time and money trying to go it alone at first. Worked okay for my gliding (2-chan DLG and then slope), but didn't for the power side of things. Get instruction.

Jon

Advert

Iv'e removed the engine as the throttle was stuck closed, managed to get it moving freely with some carb cleaner that I use on my motorbike. I will try firing up the engine before I make a final decision on whether to go with electric or not.

Thanks to all for your thoughts, they will help me make a more informed choice on how to go forward with this.

Will

Just in case you're not aware of it, model engines run anti-clockwise when viewed from the front (although they can run backwards like any other 2 stroke - my 1932 Scott was prone to it!).

Sorry if it's something you already know but as you may not have had anything to do with them in the past I thought I'd mention it.

A local medel shop a few years ago sold an engine to a beginner and he returned it (twice) because it wouldn't start but they checked it as OK. They asked him to demonstrate the problem. He attached the glow supply and pointed out that the engine didn't run. He wasn't aware that you need to turn the engine over by hand or with a starter

Good luck

Geoff

The cables are red and black and the engine is out of the model so I'll try starting it securely bolted to a piece of hardwood that I'll clamp in a vice in my shed. I have a friend who regularly runs 2 glow powered cars coming to assist.

A wee bit of my background:

I'm a pump engineer, mostly big centrifugal pumps, also work with ventilation and large air handling units. I have a fair bit of electrical knowledge including 3 phase. I understand how a wing generates lift and force action has a reaction. Most of the principles that affect my work are here in this hobby but on a smaller scale.

But I'm still trying to get my head around it. laugh

A glow engine with a prop on the front is a different proposition to a car - much more dangerous I would say. More like an 11 inch circular saw with no guarding.........and putting your fingers only an inch away to twiddle the needle valve. Needs great respect and suitable precautions. Also props can fly off and always forwards so aeromodellers with any sense always stay behind the prop when starting.

I still have items in my shed that are damaged with soaked in oil when I last started an engine there in 1984 ..... when the fumes ( carbon monoxide?) had cleared I saw the mess! never again! That's why we run the engines outdoors and never on our own lawn.......

well said KC,over the years i've seen a fair few shredded carol singers(fingers) and forearms...not a pretty site and not good for fellow modellers trying to apply first aid etc...….. common sense seems to go out the window in some instance's when we are playing with our toy aeroplanes....as you say stay behind the props.....

ken anderson...ne..1...common sense dept.

Nigel is right in a way but of course we start glow motors by standing in front - and we then need to move behind the prop. Quite difficult to do that if the engine is mounted on wood in a vice on a normal bench. Not impossible but needs thought. Some people use a B&D Workmate or clone but that need weighting down and is done outdoors normally. Really it's best to ask an experienced aeromodeller. ( experienced with glow motors -many electric fliers are not! )

Note that electric has somewhat different dangers because they can start instantly if the throttle is touched or even if the transmitter is changed by looking in the memory etc.

A bag of fertiliser weighs a workmate down very effectively. Bolt your motor to a cutout in the end of length of 3/4 ply. Screw the ply to the workmate in a few places. Make sure your access to all sides of the workmate is easy before you try starting it. All common sense stuff but bears repeating, once the motor is going you want to get behind that prop ASAP!

Electric has exactly the same finger removing capabilities, if not more, as electric motors don't stop after the first couple of bites. And props tend to suck things into them from the front.

Lots of people seem to think electric is safer and treat it with correspondingly less respect.

Pros and cons with both routes.

Posted by Will Anderson on 06/02/2019 17:44:54:

I got an electric starter along with the model. I was kind of hoping it would know the correct direction....

nerd hehehe

I replaced the cables on one of my starters and inadvertently fitted them to the motor backwards. I couldn't be bothered to strip the starter to correct it and, as the electrons are (unlike some humans), colour blind I just remember to connect the black wire to the battery red terminal

If the weather is inclement I do run engines in the garage but with the door open and the exhaust facing out without making a mess of anything. I'm 90% electric now and have the luxury of running my 'engines' indoors but even then it's as well to move paper out of the prop blast.

Geoff

Both electric & IC power have pluses & minuses Will, it really depends on you & what you enjoy. It's your hobby after all...you're supposed to enjoy it.

Personally I like engines & get great satisfaction from running them. I find electric power a bit soul-less but will readily acknowledge that it's clean efficient & convenient. But that's just me.....

Choose whichever power source appeals to you....both will power your model well & one is not "better" than the other.... wink 2

I think one overlooked point of comparison is flying habits, proximity to your site, and available time.

I fly both I.C. and electric. If I'm spending the whole day at the club, I'll take I.C. If I am stopping on the way home from work for a quick flight, I'll take electric.

I personally think the causes of prop accidents from I.C. versus electric are so different you can't really say one is safer than the other. The precautions you take are specific to either discipline...