Broken Rudder

David Soper

Advert

It bonds well, make sure surfaces are clean as per usual. I have a Tundra but not used the tape on it. I have used it on a foamy called Critical Mass. After a bad landing one of the ailerons had parted company, a strip of Blenderm either side of the hinge line and no problems since, as in the plane is ok.......... my flying !! thats debatable!

If you don’t like “sticky tape “ one repair I have used on foam Models is fine fibreglass covering cloth. I always save off cuts from balsa model builds. Tissue paper also works well . The cloth /tissue can be bonded and brushed down to the surface using wood glue, Epoxy , or even foam safe cyano. It provides a very strong and rigid fix and can be was laminated as per requirements 😊...oops I think he is talking about re hinging the rudder ? On a foamy I would cut the rudder off and use new Mylar hinges

Edited By Tim Flyer on 14/02/2019 09:47:58

Edited By Tim Flyer on 14/02/2019 09:48:30

I've rehinged with cyano hinges if the existing hinge is too far gone. Used canopy glue, seems to still be working.

Paper or tissue + PVA works pretty well, for thin surface repairs. Costs next to nothing, too. And can be used to stiffen controls up quite nicely, if needed.

I have had a couple of hinges tear out small lumps of foam as well, when a surface detached itself after some encouragement from the turf, with the hinge still in it, and a small lump of the wing attached to the hinge. The tissue/paper + PVA type repair holds the torn out lump of foam back in place quite nicely.