Keil Kraft Outlaw

After studying the US plan last night I decided to order a set of the Ebay ribs, the thought of transferring the plan to balsa then cutting them out led me to thinking £13 for a set of laser cut ribs was a good buy. So I ordered a set. I more or less decided to cover it in transparent coloured film, which I haven't used before, but wondered if it stuck to the structure the same as opaque film. Tried HK, but they list it but don't have any in stock, has anyone used it & found any snags with it.?

Advert

Posted by Stearman65 on 04/03/2019 11:52:23:

I more or less decided to cover it in transparent coloured film, which I haven't used before, but wondered if it stuck to the structure the same as opaque film. Tried HK, but they list it but don't have any in stock, has anyone used it & found any snags with it.?

The stuff I used stuck well but be careful when shrinking as the shrink is VERY powerful and can distort the balsa structure .

Posted by Engine Doctor on 04/03/2019 15:58:42:
Posted by Stearman65 on 04/03/2019 11:52:23:

I more or less decided to cover it in transparent coloured film, which I haven't used before, but wondered if it stuck to the structure the same as opaque film. Tried HK, but they list it but don't have any in stock, has anyone used it & found any snags with it.?

The stuff I used stuck well but be careful when shrinking as the shrink is VERY powerful and can distort the balsa structure .

Hi Engine Doctor

Was the film you used the film from Hobby King?

Postman delivered the Ebay Outlaw laser cut rib set this morning. Arrived within 3 days of ordering, in a hard cardboard box packed in tissue. Examined them, the balsa & cutting is flawless, only snag I could see was they weren't marked, then I turned them over, dong! of course they are marked. excellent service & value for money.

Wish I could say the same for Mr Buckle, ordered & paid by PP for the plan on the first, supposedly coming by RM 1st class, not a peep, come on my Buckle, make my day & respond.

laser rib set.jpg

Well the Ben Buckle plans dropped through the letterbox this morning. Disappointing though, the print is very faded apart from the supplement with the ribs & formers, which was much clearer. On the plus side it has the full wing & building instructions, which the US version didn't. As the rib set I got from Ebay was so good, I decided to cancel the kit as there isn't much more to cut out & it was a printed kit not Laser cut. The BB sticker with the plan raised a smile.

bb outlaw plan.jpg

p398.jpg

• 2 months later...
Posted by Stearman65 on 06/03/2019 15:49:28:

Postman delivered the Ebay Outlaw laser cut rib set this morning. Arrived within 3 days of ordering, in a hard cardboard box packed in tissue. Examined them, the balsa & cutting is flawless, only snag I could see was they weren't marked, then I turned them over, dong! of course they are marked. excellent service & value for money.

Wish I could say the same for Mr Buckle, ordered & paid by PP for the plan on the first, supposedly coming by RM 1st class, not a peep, come on my Buckle, make my day & respond.

laser rib set.jpg

used this guy to cut ribs for a KK invader , and a KK topper also he does excellent ply control horns in two sizes... he may be an "Ebay outlaw" , but he does cut exceedingly good ribs

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 26/05/2019 20:44:58:

Mention was made of Outlaw picture one wing tip being warped or less dihedral.

It was the done thing in those days of FF models to have less dihedral on one tip, then the plane naturally flew in a circle due to slightly less lift on the higher cranked wing tip.

Never heard of anyone using less dihedral on one wingtip. However it was common to tilt the tailplane off horizontal or slight warp of one wing tip in order to induce a safe circular flight pattern.

It certainly wasn't a "black art" to anyone who understood what they were doing',the purpose behind the action & took the time to trim models properly. Those who didn't had problems with poor performing models. Which is exactly the same today with a lot of RC flyers.

Posted by PatMc on 26/05/2019 22:28:32:
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 26/05/2019 20:44:58:

Mention was made of Outlaw picture one wing tip being warped or less dihedral.

It was the done thing in those days of FF models to have less dihedral on one tip, then the plane naturally flew in a circle due to slightly less lift on the higher cranked wing tip.

Never heard of anyone using less dihedral on one wingtip. However it was common to tilt the tailplane off horizontal or slight warp of one wing tip in order to induce a safe circular flight pattern.

Pat, I think he means wash-out... or the wash-in used on the RH inner panel for the flight pattern. Either way, it's true that slight wing warps were and still are used for FF trimming but, apart from slight wash-out on both tips, they are totally unrelated to RC flying, unless you want a plane that only flies in circles and in one direction only.

Edited By brokenenglish on 27/05/2019 06:26:15

Tom, I flew FF competitions for 20 years, a long time ago. One of my designs won at the Nationals (for someone else!), and I've never heard of different polyhedral angles between the two wings. If anyone can quote one example of a successful FF flier doing that, I'd be extremely surprised.

To suggest that it may be a good idea on a KK Outlaw is (pardon me) ridiculous.

Apologies Tom, but I think there's a mix-up somewhere...

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old post but I have just been given an original Keil Kraft the “Outlaw” kit. It’s vintage for sure but fully intact. Even has the original tissue paste!

Let me know if anyone wants to buy it - it’s 50” - too big for me.