Smart tv

John  Tee

Any help would be appreciated. I have a Sharp "smart tv", probably smarter than me! A few years ago a friends friend showed me his photos on his smart tv and I thought it was a good idea. I Googled how to do it wirelessly and keep getting "use an HDMI cable" which I don't want to do with cables all over the place. I did find reference to a wireless gadget at nearly £200.

The tv is showing in my network along with my wireless printer and the laptop says bluetooth is on but they won't talk to each other.

Am I missing something obvious or do I need some other gadget to get them to communicate? Thabnks in advance.

John

Advert

I think your friend used Chromecast - see here.

It's quite likely that you have to manually enable this feature on your TV. I don't have a Sharp tv so can't be sure exactly how you would do this, but it'll be somewhere in the settings, perhaps either the network settings or wireless settings. It could be called "Renderer".

Hope this helps.

Alistair

Posted by John Tee on 11/03/2019 13:21:48:

Any help would be appreciated. I have a Sharp "smart tv", probably smarter than me! A few years ago a friends friend showed me his photos on his smart tv and I thought it was a good idea. I Googled how to do it wirelessly and keep getting "use an HDMI cable" which I don't want to do with cables all over the place. I did find reference to a wireless gadget at nearly £200.

The tv is showing in my network along with my wireless printer and the laptop says bluetooth is on but they won't talk to each other.

Am I missing something obvious or do I need some other gadget to get them to communicate? Thabnks in advance.

John

You are there John

Where your Laptop is in the List of devices to be acquired

It should have a box around it or be highlighted, to be the selected wireless device

Click on

The name of the TV and The Laptop need to be selected by you

Well I have had a partial success thanks. The tv has Miracast built in so didn't need the Chromecast. Kept getting a message that the tv was ready to connect but wouldn't. Checked the laptop and everything appeared ok. Tried to send a photo to the tv but nothing happened. I right clicked on the photo and found an option to cast to device and the picture appeared on screen and then disappeared after a few seconds. tried again and looking at the picture on the laptop there was a video type control of play/pause which kept the picture there when "paused". Tried again with an open folder and all photos selected and it worked. Just need to tweak a few bits and I think I am there.

Adrian, I have the same trouble with my Samsung sound bar and after trying all the settings in the instruction leaflet gave up and it it sitting there unplugged waiting for me to try again.

Thanks for your suggestions which helped point me in the right direction (unclear menus)

John

For what it's worth, John both my TV and sound bar are Samsung. The service department at JL pointed out that the sound bar, aside of the power lead, has to two other connections. One is Digital Audio IN (optical) which goes to the TV digital audio out (optical), while the other is HDMI OUT (TV -ARC) from the sound bar which goes to the TV HDMI IN (ARC). He says that the TV is getting confused by the two separate connections. It is best just either to rely on the HDMI connection and unplug the optical connections completely. this is because HDMI produces the best sound quality compared to the optical and takes away the technical confusion apparently! crook

If you use HDMI then it probably has to be connected, as Adrian alluded to, to an HDMI socket that has ARC. It's likely that only one of the HDMIs on the TV has this so you may have to try them all and/or you may have to enable ARC.

(ARC means Audio Return Channel. Intended for sending audio from a TV "back" to say a Blue Ray player / surround sound system which would usually be "sending" signals to a TV).

If you're really lucky this link might even turn your soundbar on and off automatically too.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 12/03/2019 23:23:32:

If you're really lucky this link might even turn your soundbar on and off automatically too.

Just try this Chris

Most sound bars can be connected to the TV by stereo jack socket, or are already so, as well as HMDI

On the TV Menu, go to sound and set this to Headphone volume.

This should Auto on/off the sound bar with the TV now.

I don't believe my luck. I asked for help with my smart tv which you all kindly gave and got me working. I picked up a copy of ComputerActive today and there is an article on that very subject.

Just got to try setting up the soundbar again. It doesn't have an HDMI socket. It has the optical connection and bluetooth.

John