New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat

Advert

Tim

Thanks for that. I’m covering my hunter in oracover but not sure of the shade of red. Think it might be bright red. Has anyone started on the hunter yet. I’ve got the fuz and wing built. I’ve also modified the wing to give more room for battery access. I was lucky to have the plan pack bought as a christmas present.

dave

Dave,

Seamless is a trick of the light. After covering I just add a small strip of covering a couple of cm wide to span the gap between model and canopy. Then just use the iron on the lowest temp that causes the film to stick properly.Do not show it a hot air gun unless you are very very brave and don't mind a mess! You can add the strip before covering if you want. Not sure the result is any different.

Tim

Hi all,

I'm brand new to plan building and (perhaps a little foolhardy) was tempted by the TN Gnat plan so have purchased all the wood and a few tools to get started with. I have some building skills from old Guillows style kits and model rocketry, but would appreciate any tips regarding the Gnat - especially with regard to which glues to use in order to keep weight to a minimum.

Wish me luck!

Also - that RAE Gnat looks absolutely stunning. What a great scheme.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow what a thrill. Finally got a flying day again so had the Gnat maiden flight. No wind , blue sky bright sun, so apart from probably not being able to see it, why not. Absolutely brilliant, no problem pulling away from the hand launch, oodles of power. Never flow anything so fast, I’ll be buzzing for days!

Thanks Tony.

Difficult to capture on an iPhone but here are 2 short videos . 1st and 1st landing.

https://youtu.be/FSzPqvK18Hc

https://youtu.be/wP-DKu7dRQE

Need to work on getting the links to work.... tomorrow!
Tim

Edited By Tim Ballinger on 06/02/2020 18:10:33

Edited By Tim Ballinger on 06/02/2020 18:11:51

And finally 1 still which was worth pulling out of the video. Got a lot of video of a very small dot travelling very quickly!

Most of the first flight was 1/2 throttle while my brain adjusted, 2nd flight let it go a bit more. I had to add a fair amount of up trim so I think I may pull the cg back a notch for the next flights.

2215273a-c1f9-4446-945f-e2875657456c.jpeg

Barry,

The launch shown above was in zero wind conditions. I know its nice to have a surfeit of thrust to fly away from a hand launch but believe me after that 1/2 to 3/4 throttle is pretty dam quick and full throttle is blindingly fast ! That is on the 3S setup. If you managed to release the full potential of your 4S setup Im not sure you would ever see it again !

Could be I'm just slow an old pilot though wink

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my Provost.

img_4704.jpg

Here's something weird and rather annoying.

Before I installed the EDF unit I ran it up to make sure it was working, but not up to full power, and all seemed OK.

Now that it is all finished, it's time to test the thrust that I am getting. So I put the model nose down on my scales and ran up the motor. I got to about 300g of thrust at just over half throttle and then the motor stopped. Tried again and anything over about half throttle and it stops. For the third attempt I wired in my power meter to see what was going on.

I found that it was getting up to 58amps at about 700watts and then cutting out, accompanied by a faint smell of hot electrics. The fan seems to be turning freely and I am using a 3s 2200mah battery and 40amp ESC.

I need to do some more investigating but does anyone have any ideas.

What sort of amp draw are you guys getting at full throttle?

It is the 50mm FMS (3s) edf unit.

Hi Geoff,

Sorry nope, I have 3 models with 3s fans and all run fine and cool on 2200 3s and 40 amp esc..

Only issue I had was the first broke free from the fus former and shed a blade - once glued in better all ok so far.

Stating the obvious, (sorry if you have already tried ) have you swapped out the esc in case its a problem and overheating/faulty.. had a couple over the years in other models..

If not could be the motor and you have a bad one.. I had to cut open my fus to repair but at least its underneath so you dont see the joins after..

good luck

Steve