M6? Not If I Can Help It......

Former Member

Percy, you were lucky to see a wheelbarrow. I used to do a h##l of a lot of miles on the motorways for my old job, and got sick of the miles of cones with not a sign of any work going on. Over her now it is a pleasure when you see a cone, you know just a few metres further there will be someone doing maintainance on the road or verge followed a few metres along another cone. They dont waste them over here.

Posted by Percy Verance on 23/05/2019 21:01:15:

It seems in a recent poll, the section of M6 which passes through the eastern part of Cumbria was considered one of the best drives around. Strange. I spent quite a bit of time pounding up and down that bit when I drove a company Skoda. I can't recall there being anything special about it, but then I do live here.... At the time I thought I'd avoided having to drive a company car by telling my (then) Area Manager how much I detested driving company cars. What did he do? He went and got a Skoda, all but identical to my own car apart from the colour........

What's your favourite bit of road, and why? M6 just south of Tebay, on the eastern fringes of the Lake District here....

m6 cumbria.jpg

By far one of the worst stretches of road I've ever had the misfortune to drive on was the A1 as it passes near Biggleswade in Bedfordshire. In particular the Black Cat roundabout. That place is just madness. Without doubt, the closest thing to a near death experience. Nobody gives an inch......

Edited By Percy Verance on 23/05/2019 21:19:05

The scenery, particularly past Tebay, is very impressive. J36 to Penrith has to be the most scenic section of motorway in the UK.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 24/05/2019 08:05:10

Love the photo, I think it's looking south from Tebay. A local lass told me that just on the right hand side just out of shot is a heart shaped wooded area, where a pilot of one of the fast jets went in, his wife had the trees planted as a memorial to him. You often get the Typhoons coming through the valley very low, it's quite a sight. If you do get stuck in the traffic there it is a nightmare, the locals will quite happily drive for miles to avoid getting stuck on that bit.

The worst M6 stretch seems to be Warrington to Birmingham either way, always accidents or roadworks.

p.s. my mistake that should read on the left hand side as you look at the photo.

Edited By Flying Flea on 24/05/2019 10:33:21

i know j36 very well as i spent an hour and half there waiting for breakdown truck after i got oil warning light come on in my MH - - turned out it was a warning light telling me it was time for an oil change - - what a plonker I am

edit 

but a relieved plonker !!

Edited By rcaddict on 24/05/2019 13:15:53

Posted by Flying Flea on 24/05/2019 10:31:39:

A local lass told me that just on the right hand side just out of shot is a heart shaped wooded area, where a pilot of one of the fast jets went in, his wife had the trees planted as a memorial to him.

Sadly as it's a nice story, unless fast jets predated the Wright Brothers somewhat, this isn't likely to be the case as the wood dates back to at least 1841...

Posted by Percy Verance on 23/05/2019 21:11:21:

I think it's called a traffic jam Paul....... Very popular in Summer, especially Bank Holidays.

No, not really, its all the time. was driving back at 2am in the morning and got stuck for an hour. Also, it;s worse, as night works have you leaving at Jct 5 to drive though the city to rejoin at jct 6

Posted by Percy Verance on 24/05/2019 18:10:02:

After crashing through the gable end of a thankfully empty cottage, it appears one of the crew attempted an ejection rather late, and both he and his seat were found in a field several hundred meters away from the area of the impact.

A late ejection with a happier ending occurred near Bury St. Edmunds around 1980. I was talking to a farmer whose field I'd arrived on in a glider, having found the ground too close to my backside and not found any lift and he mentioned that his field seemed popular as 2 RAF aircrew had both landed in the same field a few weeks earlier after ejecting from their burning Hunter trainer...so low that the canopy had also landed in the same field!

My favourite bit of road near Shap is the concrete road that climbs up to Shap through Keld from Haweswater. It's not strictly a right of way and was built for the traffic building the reservoir but I've never had a problem cycling up it and it's a lovely quiet ride.

Geoff