Always goes left

Matthew smith 9

Advert

Matthew, you didn't ever reply to your other thread where I wondered, due to you posting in the beginners' category and the type of questions you asked whether you have previous flight experience. Please don't expect to be able to fly a model like this as a first attempt at RC flying. If you simply thought answering was below you as an expert pilot then you can ignore the following but please don't bury your head in the sand if you haven't got reasonable RC flying experience.

While there may be examples of people teaching themselves, I've done a reasonable amount of instructing and I can honestly tell you that every one of my pupils' first (and often subsequent) flights would have ended in disaster without some intervention - and that includes those claiming to have taught themselves the basics on computer simulators. And these were with trainer type models!

Where are you attempting to fly? A remote field is unlikely to have a suitable ground surface for your undercarriage to survive and a park or playing field isn't the place to fly a model like this - especially if you have yet to have your first crash!

In your best interests, I'd recommend making contact with a local club where you can try flying on a buddy lead when you will appreciate that it may be a little harder than you imagine...

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/06/2019 10:26:19

Posted by Percy Verance on 02/06/2019 09:51:43:

Jeez, I can barely remember being 51. I've slept since then......

I never thought about that Paul. Matthew is probably wondering what the hell glasshopper has to do with anything.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 02/06/2019 09:57:08

Good Grief! I can remember "Muffin the Mule"!

And for the benefit of the mods (before you ban me for that!), it was a kids TV programme!

cheeky

--

Pete

Posted by Matthew smith 9 on 02/06/2019 12:24:29:

Thanks for all the help guys it's much appreciated. I will take all your advise into account, I will be joining my local club and will also get a trainer to practice with, any advise on what trainer to get?

Just seen this. I assume you are a new pilot. Do not attempt to fly that lancaster if you are!

Thanks for all the help guys it's much appreciated. I will take all your advise into account, I will be joining my local club and will also get a trainer to practice with, any advise on what trainer to get?

yes

The Riot is popular and works well as a trainer but see what the club(s) you visit recommend as direct experience/familiarity is useful.  There will probably be lots of different recommendations but you're looking for something with reasonable weight and size to equip you to fly your Lancaster later - the drawback of many lightweight trainers is that they can be a little too forgiving of poorly planned approaches.

I would avoid buying a stabilised model as it won't give you the experience to be able to deal with your follow-on models although they can help with under confident or slow learners.  Age (or lack of) is an important factor and generally, younger students can expect to progress faster.

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/06/2019 13:08:52

Well done for checking out the local club. In the first instance, ask the main active club members or the instructor who'll be training you about a suitable trainer. They might have their trainers available for initial instruction at least (which could be electric or IC)?

Otherwise, there are several established training models out there and you'll likely gets lots of different suggestions.

Assuming electric and tricycle undercarriage rather than tail-dragger, some will suggest a lighter foamie RTF (almost everything pre-installed) like the ST Discovery (58" span, 2.8lbs, wing-loading 11oz/sq ft); others a heavier balsa ARTF (plus install your own servos, motor, ESC, etc) like the Seagull E-Pioneer (61" span, 4.5lbs, loading of 17oz/sq ft).

The E-Pioneer option will cost more overall and take longer to get ready than the foamie (but in both cases get a club member to thoroughly check everything for you first, including your radio installation and settings!).

My personal view is that heavier models are better suited to a range of flying conditions (the UK is frequently just too windy a place for lighter models), but also they use more sky and in my personal opinion (having learnt on a foamie but then moved to heavier sports models which have more penetration) teach better skills from the outset.

Whichever type of option you go for, you'll need a minimum of 4 LiPo batteries for each training/practice session. This will give you a total of about 40 minutes of flying time, which is more than enough when you're learning. Obviously the bigger batteries cost more than the smaller ones - the 3 cell 2200mAh specified for the foamie above are the most common and least expensive.

Jon

Posted by Matthew smith 9 on 02/06/2019 12:24:29:

Several points Matthew. I'm pleased you have decided to learn to fly using a conventional trainer before trying to fly the Lancaster. The real Lancaster pilots learned to fly on something smaller, slower, easier to fly and less expensive! You would do well to emulate them.

1. Your club may well have it's own trainer. If it does it would be as well to use it and the same type of radio which the club uses before buying your own trainer.
  2. Ask ten different aeromodellers to recommend a trainer and you'll get eleven different answers. You'll have to decide whether you want to use an internal combustion engine or electric power, whether to go for a foam trainer or one made from balsa and ply, and whether you want to build your own model or buy an ARTF Almost Ready To Fly model. A foam model will fly more slowly but it tends to get blown about more in a wind. You pays your money...
  3. You wanted recommendations so hear goes. ARTF Foamy Electric-Powered Trainer: Ripmax ST Discovery or any similar sized high wing monoplane. ARTF Balsa and Ply: Seagull Boomerang. The Boomerang can take either an electric motor or an i/c engine, can be built either with a tricycle or conventional undercarriage and its semi symmetrical wing section means that it is easier to fly in a wind. Build Your Own From A Kit: the velnerable Keil Kraft Super 60 from Ben Buckle kits. This model may be built as a three or four channel model, i.e, with or without ailerons and is easily converted to electric power if that's your interest. **LINK** Us greybeards with thirty or more years r/c flying experience had to build our own models when we were beginners, I learned on a Junior 60 which is a delightful model to fly but the Super 60 is a more versatile model.

Best of luck with your new venture but flying a radio controlled model aircraft is not as easy as it looks and at 51 it may take you some time to get the hang of things. The kids learn in no time! wink

Posted by David Davis on 02/06/2019 13:18:12:

... but flying a radio controlled model aircraft is not as easy as it looks and at 51 it may take you some time to get the hang of things. The kids learn in no time! wink

Just a minor point, and it doesn't detract from your well-made observation, but it was Paul Coleman who told us he's 51. Matthew hasn't given any indication of his age.

Edited By Jonathan M on 02/06/2019 13:28:51

Posted by Jonathan M on 02/06/2019 13:28:33:
Posted by David Davis on 02/06/2019 13:18:12:
... but flying a radio controlled model aircraft is not as easy as it looks and at 51 it may take you some time to get the hang of things. The kids learn in no time! wink

Just a minor point, and it doesn't detract from your well-made observation, but it was Paul Coleman who told us he's 51. Matthew hasn't given any indication of his age.

Edited By Jonathan M on 02/06/2019 13:28:51

I stand corrected then I'm going flying!