Commons Science and Technology Committee Enquiry on Drones

You can rewind the broadcast if you want to catch your missing minutes.

I think Dave Phipps put up a strong case for model flyers - I'd like to see more thought about the de-clutter argument which is very compelling on first sight but does it stand up to examination?

In a scenario where a visiting head of state decides to visit the village cricket club 1/4 of a mile from our site, we can already be compelled to cease flying activities by existing legislative powers and should they be arriving at the airport 5 miles away, then our activities would be within a known (or predictable) area. A model breaking away from the normal flight pattern and heading to the airport would be very obvious. Far more likely would be for a terrorist to launch his AI attack aircraft from a field half a mile from the airport, depart rapidly and let the weapon do its work with less than a minute to be detected, targeted and disabled.

At least the committee now knows that model flyers are clued up, careful and compliant!

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/07/2019 12:30:56

I watched the whole thing this morning and was pleased to note that the Committee were, for the most part, surprisingly sympathetic towards recreational model flyers.

Dave Phipps made some good points but I am inclined to think that to the average, poorly-informed, non-flying viewer, David Dunn will have come across as being more compelling because of the frightening picture he painted of swarms of hacked drones making attacks etc. I fear that most people will simply accept his speculations as 'fact'. His solution is to regulate/register/control everything and yet none of his 'solutions' would have any impact whatsoever on the malicious/criminal drone users who would simply sidestep all the requirements.

It was also irritating to hear him effectively liken drones to guns in the USA which simply feeds the media hysteria. I really hoped that someone would have challenged him for some stats about the number of injuries & deaths caused by firearms compared to those caused by drones.

The second session with Baroness Vere makes it abundantly clear to me that registration, testing and the fee are all now utterly unavoidable. Personally I found her at times to be smug & condescending in her delivery (warm words but withering tone when it came to model flyers) and there were a surprising number of topics of which she was 'unaware' or 'unable to respond' or vague. But none of that matters because the wheels are in motion and come November we will all be faced with a three way choice...…….give up, register or fly illegally.

Link

The Baroness came across as arrogant to me.

I think something was missed by not mentioning that we are recognised as a sport and the benefits of participation to people with not the best physical ability to undertake more energetic activity. The registration scheme as currently proposed presents a barrier to participation, especially to those who already only fly occasionally.

Irrespective of what the EU regulations might say the Baroness was absolutely unambiguous when she said that all unmanned flying objects above 250 grams will be required to have a transponder fitted within the next 3 years. Their plan is to have some kind of super all-seeing air traffic control system that will be able to identify every aircraft, manned & unmanned. The only exception mentioned was the sub 250 grams class although she also left the door open for even that modest cut-off figure to be reduced should further research indicate that tiny drones represent a risk.

Edited By John Roberts 9 on 09/07/2019 19:05:25

I just watched it and when it came to the baroness and her " OH the model aircraft flyers " I found myself uttering a rude word that can be translated as a female dog. We are going to " fly " the online test she laughed. She poo pooed all the recent letters/emails saying we should have done more sooner when her department had not even responded to the BMFA for months.

Transponders for every model aircraft and a system that can read them in the next three years, what is the cost of that and who will pay for all that ? Aha, I think I know.angry