80” Mick Reeves Hurricane

bert baker

Advert

I've still got my instructions from 1989 ish or there about. Mick states it was comfortable in flight at half throttle on a HP61F . (It was a long time ago) Mine was well powered with a super tigre 90 2st.

C of G 115 mm (41/2 inches) back from leading edge next to fuselage(Tank empty) fuselage level when balanced.

Control throws

Ailerons 16 mm up/19 mm down

Elevator 13 mm up & down

Rudder 32 mm each way

Even with the 90 up front still needed lead to balance, but he does say most models will need it.

I used to have one of these. Flew with a laser 120 and was about 14lbs i think. I sold it in the end as it wasnt scale enough for my taste and i was going to use the cash to finish the DB Hurricane i had. Didnt quite pan out though as i must have sold the model 10 years ago and still havent finished the DB!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by alan p on 17/09/2019 22:38:19:

I've still got my instructions from 1989 ish or there about. Mick states it was comfortable in flight at half throttle on a HP61F . (It was a long time ago) Mine was well powered with a super tigre 90 2st.

C of G 115 mm (41/2 inches) back from leading edge next to fuselage(Tank empty) fuselage level when balanced.

Control throws

Ailerons 16 mm up/19 mm down

Elevator 13 mm up & down

Rudder 32 mm each way

Even with the 90 up front still needed lead to balance, but he does say most models will need it.

Before I comment I'll just say I know nothing about the Mick Reeves Hurri as such. What does puzzle me slightly is that the aileron throws suggest more down than up. On my models I usually set aileron differential with about half as much down as up - eg in this case 16mm up and 8mm down. Is there any reason why this particular model has what I would think of as reverse differential?

Geoff

Hi Bert

Have rechecked the instructions would post a photo but printer/scanner has had a episode, so quoting the written.

Ailerons 5/8" up (16mm)

Elevator 1/2" up and down ( 13mm)

Rudder 11/4"each way (32mm)

C of G 41/2" (115mm) back from leading edge next to fusalage.

Wishing you a good flight

Alan

Oh boy what fun.

carried out the first flight to find that using fingers to check the C-G was a bit ambitious, result was tail heavy

was a fairly short flight as the engine decided to muck about then quit.

fast arrival with complementary nose over,,, wow these things can take a fair bit of punishment.

having dug out the c-g stand and added a bit of church roof it was ready for another go

Second fight was better more controlled take off and more manageable flight,

started to experiment neither a few Aeros, sonthen thought best do some line ups with the runway,

Hmm turned in and dropped in on finals to find the throttle had stuck at wide open,,,,,, hmm

now the dilemma of how much fuel to how much Recivers battery life....

so climb to good safe height and test it’s 3D capability,,, was fun and bemused a few in the Pitts

multiple loops gave engine a good work out and it seemed that after a few the engine would pack up, nope as soon as level flight was started the engine would pick up again,,,

eventualy it quit and it was back on the ground again .

this is the second Reeves plane of this size I have had recently and both have ended up with full right aileron trim just to maintain level flight ....

are they all like this or is it just me

Posted by bert baker on 06/10/2019 19:10:52:

this is the second Reeves plane of this size I have had recently and both have ended up with full right aileron trim just to maintain level flight ....

are they all like this or is it just me

Have you checked your building board!

Edited By Martin Harris on 06/10/2019 20:46:26

Just to add my two pennyworth,regarding aileron travel. The correct amount of travel as I have always understood is that the upgoing aileron should travel further than the downgoing one. This is to prevent any adverse yaw, so in a nutshell,you have less movement going down and more going up. There are various ways to achieve differential travel on ailerons. Mechanically and electronically. Google the problem,there are usually some good pointers to be had on YouTube..

Hope this makes sense?