Wing trailing edge

Should a TE on a "funfly" be knife edge sharp?

This will sound worse than it is BUT my build which is not flat bottomed sort of undulates along the wing. I think its a slight variation in ribs .I did not see it when I glued the top TE strip on. when I glued the very rear "wedge" that's sandwich between the strips I se it then.

Its straight ,no banana bends JUST wavy!!!!

Advert

Bill You are going to get all sorts of answers on this one. My opinion is yes I know it should be straight but hey get out there and fly it. You will also get profound theory’s why it’s wrong from a range of people from good modellers with a good knowledge of theory to those armchair theorists who always seem to be the ones who have trouble flying their models but believe they know why. My Gangster lite has warped in many ways still flys well but is getting a shade embarrassing to fly in day light. The trailing edge has gone wavy like yours in the space of the last 6 yesrs

Right you have it from the master. Now this is what you do. Think of a non existent aerodynamic problem and attribute The theory to a fictional German scientist Now make up an equally fictional aircraft that just did not make it into production as ww1 ended. Or.... someone may we’ll be on here before the day is out with details of a real plane with a wobbly te

A friend built a main plane that was more akin to a propeller than a wing for his DH71. After discussing the merits of rebuilding the wing, we wound on a significant aileron deflection to counteract it before I test flew it for him. It rolled with the twist immediately after take off and after winding in all the available trim, it still needed to be held level. We put in even more deflection for the next flight and I managed to trim it out OK. It's a scale/sport model, not a competition aerobat and to be quite honest, there's no reminders of the ridiculous aileron "neutral" positions once its in the air.

When you think of some of the ridiculous contraptions that we manage to fly e.g. lawnmowers, flying saucers, Supermen, the finer points of aerodynamics at our Renold Numbers are far less significant than for the latest airliner or fighter!

Posted by gangster on 30/09/2019 15:51:57:

Right you have it from the master. Now this is what you do. Think of a non existent aerodynamic problem and attribute The theory to a fictional German scientist Now make up an equally fictional aircraft that just did not make it into production as ww1 ended. Or.... someone may we’ll be on here before the day is out with details of a real plane with a wobbly te

Thank you very much. What payment is required.

If you want to see wavy, take a look at the trailing edges on a Schleicher ASK-13 glider (commonly known as a K13); most gliding clubs have at least one, and the trailing edges on the majority of them look like a contour profile for rollercoaster. Even so, K13s fly very nicely!

Bill, provided the waviness balances out it should be fine.