Model shops, SW England

I will be visiting the UK for the first time in nearly two years from next Sunday. I want to visit a LMC.

I will be doing bonding time with my sister, in Brixham, Devon.

Now I know Totem Hobbies, Plymouth. But there is another, in a smaller town. North West? Can't remember. Suggestions?

Advert

Two birds with one stone at least. Stan of Phoenix Model Products and Bekra in Newton Abott are well worth visiting. Bekra covers a range of Hobbies and Stan has a very well priced range of kit you'd be hard placed to beat. I also think there is a new shop opened in that rough area that may have had a mention in a recent mag. Enjoy your visit to Devon.

This coming Sunday or the 13th? I live at Broadsands, about 10 mins from Brixham. There's a very active community down here.

In addition to the shops already mentioned, there's Totem Hobbies in Plymouth, and AK RC Models at Teignmouth - all worth a visit!

12th and 13th is the AHA Helicopter meet at Charmouth (about an hour's drive away), and I'll be there over that week-end. Otherwise, if you fancy meeting up, I'm sure I can arrange something.

--

Pete

I visited AK models in Teignmouth yesterday. A pretty well stocked shop, staffed at the time by a friendly and helpful young lady. There was a problem parking near the shop - it's on a trading estate, and although it's in its own little fenced compound, this was full of cars despite there being no-one else in the shop. The surrounding roads are festooned with cars and double yellow lines, and I saw clamping in evidence. I parked at the local Morrisons, and it's a 2-minute walk between buildings to get to AK. Stupidly, I forgot to ask if there was a better way, but I'm sure they would be very helpful on the phone if you are going to visit.

Anyway, in a fairly frantic week, and bonding time with my sister, having forgotten what a dreadful cook she is, kitchen full of gagets but empty of ingredients, I got to Totem today.

I reckon I entered a model shop for the first time in a decade. Walked out £170 poorer, or invested, depending on how you look at it.

Easy to sneak it home, as beloved, in France, is frantic, having found out I have a new leather jacket, purchased without supervision. Not helped by an email from a nephew stating it's pink, and the large hairy waiter in a restaurant was most taken with it, and me.

Dont know if I dare do another model shop.

For clarity, the jacket is a tan leather bomber jacket. I look like a sex God in it.

Edited By Don Fry on 10/10/2019 15:02:34

Don,

Sorry I missed your call today! You picked the one 30 minute period during the day when there was no-one in!

The weather isn't looking great this week-end, but if you still fancy a trip to the Charmouth heli event, directions are here: **LINK**

The red route is from Newlands Holiday camp, where most participants stay. From Brixham, you would be coming along the A35 from the top left of the picture, and doing an almost-Uturn at the first roundabout at Charmouth.

I'll be leaving early afternoon tomorrow, so still the possibility of a local meet-up if you fancy it.

Cheers,

--

Pete