Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Thanks both for participating, Dave & David.

@ David > but sjeesh... that's not a row anymore as it looks more than half a platoon to me.

I'll need probably a good part of tomorrow's morning to check that out... wink

Cheers & Joyeux Noël à tous

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 25/12/2019 18:03:24

Hello there,

Even being an ‘unofficial’ holiday today here in BE, I had only a short visit at La Grotte, promising myself to avoid to make any disturbing noise.

A few days ago, I decided to start an ‘experiment’ to hopefully become the turbine exit of the Dog.

A few bits of balsa were glued together to form a few sheets - ‘cross grain’ - of 260 x 70mm, weighted down and left to dry. They are somewhere under there, I swear… angel

617_blastduct01_900.jpg

The sheets now received a relaxing massage with ammonia on one side only.

They started curling gently on their own and will later become the base of a 'drum' made of several laminated layers.

634_blastduct02_900.jpg

Cutting paper and sticking it back together with Sellotape is a perfect occupation when one doesn’t want to disturb anybody.

As I’m nearing the start of my fuselage build, I thought it was time to modify the side view plan - sorry, Martin ! - by cutting it behind F7 and enlarging it by 20 mm.

As I wrote before, due to the upgraded GE-17 turbine, the full-size D, K & L Sabres have a fuse that is 20cm longer than their standard ‘cousins’.

623_fuse20mm_longer_900.jpg

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Boxing Day Control

Posted by john stones 1 on 22/12/2019 18:37:12:

A4

B3

C3

D1

E2

Merry Xmas. Iris Chris Gaston. star

Hi John,

I could say I was too busy 'stuffing the turkey' to have noticed the Xmas greetings, but I would be lying. We ate fondue because I don't like being in the kitchen the whole day. And then I was drawing. And then I realized it has been a while since I looked at Chris's blog only to find your very nice greetings. Too late now for Christmas wishes from me, but let me be the first to already wish you all the very best for the year to come!

Warm regards,

Iris

BRU - BE / Party Control cocktail

Thanks for the compliments, John H.R.

But no, I'm not a trained 'artist' although I studied graphical arts & photography in an earlier life and I still like to 'relax' while having some acrylic painting on canvas.

Regarding the 'engineering' side, I was always interested in it but as a pure autodidact. It started with 'transforming' - some might call it 'destroying' - my toys, bikes, motorbikes... Going on later with my cars and race cars for twenty years... to finally build my own two seater UL and Microlights.

Ages ago, my friends started to call me 'McGyver' - hence my nickname here on the forum - and some still do... angel

@ John S > I'll forward your reply to Iris, young man.

Cheers

Chris

Hi to all still out there,

I do realize that Boxing Day is over for this year, but I just got a parcel telling me otherwise…  cool

I duly received the Dog pilot handed over by our favourite postlady and I thought I could share with the community. The pilot that is…  angel

Of course, a lot of modelers do own a 3D printer or have access to one but, unfortunately, I don’t…

561_pilot01_900.jpg

I found him in the Freewing catalogue. For sure he looks a bit ‘toyish’ but he’s cheap at less than €5 and at least he seems the right scale.

I hope that some basic mods and a few strokes of acrylic paint will make him acceptable in the Dog’s office.

565_pilot02_900.jpg

If someone is interested, I got him from motionrc.eu and it’s their ‘pilot-figure-16’.

https://www.motionrc.eu/products/freewing-pilot-figure-16

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Pilot Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 29/12/2019 18:43:56

Hi again,

Finally, the last bits needed for the Dog’s fuse construction are done and ready.

Both halves of F1 just got 'born' at this very end of 2019…

641_stdf1 vs dogf1_900.jpg

Left is Martin’s standard one and at the right is the larger Dog one.

The top part of the former will be planked as standard down to the stringer close to the datum line.

The lower external part of it has been replaced by balsa as F1 will be ‘sandwiched’ between Blue Foam blocks there and the soft wood will be at lot easier to shape ‘between foam’ than the original ply of the former.

For obvious reasons, that balsa part is still way to large and will be adapted later following the TLAR-method…

645_dogf0vsdogf1_900.jpg

The second pic shows the halves of my F0 and the ‘new’ F1.

Let’s hope that the end of the year will also mean the end of the Dogs ‘tunnel’…

By the way, this also means that our Official Dog Contest is ending this evening at midnight. Last chance for the ‘last minute’ participants…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Tunnel Control

Hello everybody,

Our Official Dog Contest ended last night at midnight, so here is the solution.

xmas_tree_contest_solution.jpg

There were 6 icicles to find on Iris’ X-mas tree and the corresponding correct grid numbers are A4, B3, C3, D1, D5 and E2.

If you allow me, I’ll be back with a full report on the Contest’s participants and Official winner later but at least he now can start preparing his French sparkling gold with a double motif later this evening… cocktail cocktail hot gift

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Dog Contest Control

Hi again,

We do hope everybody had a bubbly New Years’ Eve to start 2020 properly…

Let’s have a look at those Dog Contest proposals and results.

John S removed that Contest threshold fear by posting the first 5 grid numbers with… 5 correct answers!

Chris B was next with 7 proposals but also 5 correct answers.

Gary M got 6 correct answers out of his 6 grid numbers.

Dave C had exactly the same 6 out of 6.

David S proposed 10 (!) answers but only 5 were correct.

And finally, John (Onetenor) was our final candidate to participate and got 3 correct answers.

So, it seems we had 2 competitors with the 6 correct answers - Gary M and Dave C - but being chronologically the first one…

Gary Manuel is our Official Dog Contest Winner.

Congratulations, Gary.

Could you please PM me your full address details at your earliest convenience. That would be quite practical to reward you with those tasty Belgian chocolates…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Contest Results Control

Wooohooo! I've won something. I never win things.

Thanks for running the competition Chris. It was fun to take part and even better to win, but to be honest I feel like I've eaten my lifetimes quota of chocs this Christmas. If you don't mind, would you please give the chocolates to the next homeless person you meet, who I'm sure would appreciate them more than I. Wish them a Bonne année from me.

All the best to you and Iris, Gary.

Hi Gary,

To be honest, we were a little surprised when reading your post.

But then, your wish to protect your liver is fully understandable... wink

Now, we don't really have 'homeless' people here in the community.

Being part of the local Council, Iris suggested the local 'Refugee Center' as an alternative.

So, if it is OK with you, we'll stick to that solution and wish them a 'Bonne Année' from you.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Refugee Center Control

Hi again, Gary.

We are a rather small and well organized community, but there are some homeless people in BE unfortunately, mostly concentrated in major cities.

Fine that you like the idea of the Refugee Center. Iris will provide the contact details of that Fedasil agency asap.

Tomorrow is our shopping day and I thought to convert the postage 'budget' that I had foreseen for the contest into additional pralines/chocolates. There are a lot of kids over there...

I'll keep you informed, Gary.

Cheers

Chris

Hi to all,

We have a brandnew year, we have a new decade, the Dog Contest got to its end, the reindeers are back home, even Rudolf’s hangover… is over.

So, let’s have a start on that Dog fuselage build.

As the dorsal spine is straight, I thought about keeping it that way with a hardwood strip pinned to the board and building ‘against’ it.

647_port_halffuse01_900.jpg

Followed by the F14 and F15 subassemblies and F8 in between.

649_port_halffuse02_900.jpg

651_port_halffuse03_900.jpg

… and at front end, the fuse was a bit more ‘tricky’, as the parts have been drawn, cut, filed and sanded by… me.

652_port_halffuse04_900.jpg

Luckily enough, it was before the Festive Season…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Rudolf’s Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 03/01/2020 20:06:10

Thanks for your nice comment, John H.R.

How is your build progressing by the way?

I had just a short session preparing some bits for the next hopefully longer one...

I installed the stringers, gluing them with SuperPhatic and thus allowing me after a short while to sand them flush with the Dog's formers.

In the meanwhile, I cut 2 sheets of 48" long balsa into 7mm strips allowing my first ever 'planking operation' to become reality during the next session... surprise

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Planking #1 Control

Hello again,

I had my ‘world première’ planking session this morning with the placement and gluing of the first 5 planks starting up at the datum line and progressing one plank down and one up at the time.

I really felt nervous like a maiden, but managed to go back to La Grotte to have another session this afternoon for another 4 strips…

I made my planks 1mm wider than Martin but also bevelled one side of each for around 0,5mm. This seems to work OK so far but it might need a bit more (up to 1mm) when I get to tighter curves.

Did I mention “nervous”? I‘ll try to remember to take some pics when the forest of pins are removed…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Planking #2 Control