Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Thanks for commenting, gents.

I'm afraid I have some other priorities at the moment, John.

Besides the X-mas stuff belongs to Iris and I wouldn't like her to notify me some copyright infringements. frown

I suppose it was some kind of 'laziness', Phil. I projected to have them OK scale wise... without having to cut my own ones. blush

You must be slightly joking, Dirk. I'm a lot "easier on myself" compared to you and your projected 'speed brakes'... wink

Cheers

Chris

... on special request from John S...

... here are some X-mas deco pics...

xmas_tree2019.jpg

Iris is the proud owner of this 'X-mas set' exception made of the tiny 'greenish' tree at the left.

It died after a few days when powered by a couple of CR2030 batteries but I decided - with the help of a resistor - to convert it to 5V USB... and it's still alive as an RGB tree, changing it's colour constantly... must be the 'magic' that we enjoy since a few years now.

xmas_tree02_2019.jpg

Cheers

Chris

Hello again,

After the ‘pre-X-mas’ intermezzo, I’m taking care of the last bits I have to prepare before - finally - starting my first fuse half construction.

615_bits left _900.jpg

I will saw the twins of F12 & F13 once the first pair is proven to be conform (?)...

I also thought it was the right moment to prepare F15 for the elevator movement as it will be more difficult when everything is glued together. The first F15 is already done.

The bit under F15 is a clone of it that will serve as a ‘test bed’ for an attempt to make an operational rudder with internal linkages - as Chris B did – but the Dog’s vertical tailplane is quite different in dimensions, especially regarding the rudder.

… and, finally the ply ‘shark mouth’. This is already version V2 as the first one broke when I tried to sand the ‘lip’ down… maybe not the best ply (or modeller?) around but with that mortise, there is only 4mm of wood left…

616_bits left _900.jpg

This time, I reinforced the wood by laminating a thin sheet of acetate - an old overhead projector sheet, remember them? - with Superphatic after I got rid of the shine with wet Scotch Brite. Let’s hope now it works…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR V2 Control

Chris, have a look how Martyn K tackled the rudder issue. I think he solved the problem by moving the hinge line for the rudder forwards (or backwards) to eliminate the conflict. You could do the same by making the rudder bigger of smaller.

A much simpler solution to the problem if your conscience will allow it (and the scale police don't spot it) yeslaugh

Still following by the way. Must soon be time to start sticking big bits together? yes

Thank you for your comment and advices, Chris.

I saw Martyn's different solution but I'll have a better look at it.

The design and measures of the Dog's fin are quite different to the standard F-86. The rudder is narrower but taller so it might allow to avoid the 'conflict' with Martyn's method. I'll have to check that out.

But if it doesn't, my 'conscience' will very surely allow me some alterations... wink

Thanks again, young man.

Cheers

Chris

I moved the rudder hinge line forward by about 2 or 3mm and the elevator horn sideways about 6mm. Nothing binds

Too late to do any more photos, but what is important is the lower bearing block for the torque rod, the angled soldered horn and the ball link push rod as the horn will twist as it turns.

It worked very well in my Foka 4.

Martyn

Edit: Nice Christmas Tree

Edited By Martyn K on 17/12/2019 16:11:29

Thank you, Martyn.

Your explanations and measures will be very useful in a very soon future.

My rudder dimensions - less deep but taller - are very different compared to the standard Sabre, so I guess I'll have to 'bodge' this one. wink

One question though > does the angled part of your wire at the rudder goes straight into the bare rudder balsa or can one use a bit of plastic tube to protect the wood but without gluing the plastic tube to the wire?

Thanks & cheers

Chris

EDIT > regarding the X-mas tree, I'll transfer your compliments to Iris...  yes

Edited By McG 6969 on 18/12/2019 09:25:43

Mine has gone straight into the rudder (or will do when I get round to gluing it). It does make sense to increase the contact area between torque rod assembly and rudder so fitting into a short length of nylon tubing would be a good idea. I may just do that myself now..

I extended my rudder by 3mm (a spruce strip) at the TE. This adds a little extra strength and offer a bit of ding proof. Something my models tend to need.

Martyn

Hello gents,

I did cut the ‘shark mouth’ out with the scroll saw and it went a lot easier as it is also a lot stronger, except that the acetate kept melting even at low cutting speed. Sometimes it even ‘welded’ back together. frown

It made me remember cutting Lexan with a jigsaw to make some full-size race cars or Microlight windows.

I also decided to make some start with the sub-assemblies of the fuselage.

619_port_f14_900.jpg

I don’t have those fancy engineer squares that I contemplate regularly with envy when reading build blogs… but my trusty Duplos do the job as well when combined with a few clamps. The advantage of Lego’s ‘big brothers’ is that they can easily be modified or adapted to quite specific tasks like making a ‘housing’ for silicone moulds. yes

No probs… ironic smiles or even grins are allowed during this approaching Festive Season… surprise

620_port_f15_900.jpg

I did the same with the tail assembly around F15 but removed the helping bits before taking the pic. wink

I’m close to feel like I just started my Sabre fuselage build with a delay of just over six weeks…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Duplos Control

Hi all,

Well it seems that my Duplos didn’t receive a flood of comments from the modelling purists… surprise

Anyhow, I’ll try to make them as ‘discrete’ as possible in future posts. cool

Before going on with the fuse build, I wanted to ‘duplicate’ the F14 and F15 sub-assemblies for the starboard side.

628_starboard_f14_01_900.jpg

I pinched the idea earlier from Martyn K and… Harry T, IIRC, but I can’t find it back right now.

They used the port hand side as a jig to make sure the parts would align when the two sub-assemblies were matched up… In my case, just ‘hopefully align’…

631_starboard_f14_02_900.jpg

Please note > I didn’t write a word about those disgraceful deep-freezer bags filled with that ‘Rhine’s Finest’ white sand… and certainly not about Iris’ (empty, but thankfully offered to the building community) ‘de-make-up’ pads containers filled with the same mighty sand… angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Sand Bag Control

Thank you for visiting and certainly commenting, John. yes

I didn't know about your Yorkshire emblem being a white rose, but together with Iris that makes, at least, the three of us liking them.

I would really like to visit the Great Orme & to meet the PSSA gents, so I will certainly try to get the Dog finished even for a 'static' presence.

But one thing is for sure, I won't be able to fly the bird myself, as I don't have the needed skills... blush

Cheers

Chris

Hello to all,

This is the last weekend before Christmas, so I thought it was about time for our well known (almost) yearly build contest. This year obviously named the Official Sabre Dog Build Contest.

Of course, the contest is free and open to all, builders or non-builders and ends on 30/12/2019 at midnight.

Every participant is entitled to propose up to 3 answers posted here but don’t forget that your answer is possibly giving a clue to someone else… The winner is chronologically the first participant who finds them all or the first with the highest number of correct answers when the contest ends.

The contest question is simple enough >

How many icicles or ice stalactites can you find on the picture of Iris’ Christmas tree posted here a few days ago… ???

xmas_tree_contest_900.jpg

To make it easier, here is the pic together with a position grid for your answers. For example, A1 & E5 if you found two of them. But to be valid the grid number must contain the largest part of the icicle.

Winning prize will be a set of delicious festive Belgian chocolates - aka ‘pralines’ - sent to the winner as far as he lives in Europe.

The first ever winner (remember, Lev?) was a resident of Mallorca and Gaston found the postage expensive enough already…

On your marks, gentlemen and laddies & good luck to all.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Icicles Control

Hi to the forumites,

It’s just over 24 hours since I posted this year’s Build Contest…

But you all remained very ‘silent’.

Is it simply ‘treshold fear’? indecision

An overdose of Christmas shopping? gift

Or do the Belgian chocolate and pralines have such a bad reputation in your neighborhood? surprise

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Pralines Control

WOW, John...

Five in a row from Yorkshire… surprise

Let’s find out what the competition does, but at least the ‘treshold fear’ must be vanished now.

Our best X-mas wishes from Iris and me for you and your relatives as well, John.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Treshold Control

A3, A4, B3, C3, D1, D2, E2 laughyes

I have noticed the build blogs seem to have slowed down a little over the last week too Chris. Probably the run up to Christmas or maybe other blogs have run into a time consuming part?

No problem though, still plenty of time yet as long as builds don't stall and loose momentum, gathering dust in the corner of the workshop. I think everybody has suffered that at some point!

Keep going Chris and get an airframe together then you'll have plenty of time to add detail and trinkets! yes

... now seven in a row, Chris...

But remember, only the grid number showing the largest part of an icicle is valid. But, you're right, you can never be 'sure' enough. wink

You're also right regarding the blogs, they seemed to slow down quite a bit these days.

I had some kind of 'dippy' a while ago as those Dog modifications take a lot more time than I had foreseen. In fact there are just 'tóó' many of them.

But I'm close to start my fuse build very soon now and that rises up my 'mojo' again... smiley

Thanks for participating to the contest & cheers

Chris