Need new Dehumidifier

Dove from above

I was wary of Dehumidifiers but tried a small one a few years back and was surprised the amount of water it removed.

This was a single room size,so I did a search online and Ebac was recommended on some sites ,so got a 4 room size machine,

When it worked it worked very well BUT just after warranty the performance dropped badly.

After taking the case off I was surprised how shoddy the machine was put together so will not go with Ebac again. I think I paid in the region of £300 ,do not want to have this happen again,

Anyone using something they can comment or recommend?

I know the best thing to do is open windows but its not always possible.

Advert

Hi, if you have a Lidl's store near you,they are selling Humidifiers and De-Humidifiers at £39.99 each. Lidls stuff is usually of a good quality. Worth a punt. To be honest I tend to buy a box of de-humidifiers,the small ones and they seem to work quite well and last up to six months before they are full and have to be disposed of in the recycling bin!

How about reducing the source of condensation? It's surprising how much water vapour is generated by normal cooking or just making several cups of tea throughout the day. Having a bath or taking a shower is also a massive source of airborne dampness that finds its way to the rest of the house.

An aquarium pumps loads of water into the air as my son in law is finding out now. People are a surprisingly large source of water vapour via exhaled breath, hence why bedroom windows suffer from mould on the frames etc. Not too much to be done about that unless you're a fresh air fiend and can sleep with the windows open (not me).

We began to have a problem with condensation a while back when I went to town fixing draughty windows and doors, but by having an extractor fan running (vented to outside) when the kitchen and bathroom are in use and also on timer has reduced the problem to next to nothing now.

Not convinced by domestic dehumidifiers they need to be run continuously to have a worthwhile effect and at around 250W for even a small unit or around 400/500W for a 20L model your leccy bill will soar.

We have a Comet (gives you some idea of how old) DH10, 10l per day that's just come out of retirement after re-plastering several rooms - works brilliantly still. Downside 250w per hour running. As Cuban mentioned sort source if possible.

Not quite the same (newer model) but on sale at Machine Mart. Clarke DH10 sale