Pete's Cavallino Rampante Italian Aerobatic Team Sabre

As I am waiting for my pilot to arrive, I thought I would make some internal cockpit furniture and fit the canopy. Had to use ammonia to bend the 3mm square to shape, then sand off the edges. Cockpit fits fine. Needs painting now. Got some mouldie repairs to do but will be able to do some covering in readiness.

20200315_160422.jpg

Have also found an instrument panel

cockpitfront.jpg

1584288471595-766079274.jpg

Edited By Peter Garsden on 15/03/2020 16:40:09

Well, I had a little weigh of the fuselage which is finished apart from covering. I then weighed the wing so between them they came out at just over 2.5lbs which is good. I can't see the covering adding a pound so all good I reckon. I did add in the battery for the weigh and receiver. No closed loop system or control rods for flaps and ailerons, nor, indeed did I add the control surfaces. Still good though. I was a bit worried about weight because I should really have remade the formers out of balsa - at least some like F9 and F10 at the tail as I had the strength in the fibreglass and didn't need to double up with the formers, unlike the balsa version. Hey ho!

I am whiling away the time adding detail to the cockpit. I was looking at photos and realised that pipes come from the various pieces of machinery to each other and the cockpit.

I had some copper wire (one of those things that will come in handy one day), so I used it as the basis and threaded on black shrink tubing as pipe outers

1584476142680-1898016741.jpg

Isolation and Corona = Good building time - time stolen to do "those jobs you never get round to"

Algebra has never been my strong point.

Still the build goes on despite postponement. I can always test fly the Sabre, get it set up, then store it ready for the event. I know this is against the rules but I am a maverick at hear.

Have covered the wings with a mixture of Solarfilm and Glosstex. The issue is that this version is covered in cream, and I much prefer film to paint, so I hunted for something suitable. Solarfilm have sold out of Cream. Oracover cream is a dirty brown. I sent it back. Glosstex is is a bit heavy but is like plain Solartex with a paint layer already applied. Strange stuff. We will see how much weight it adds on top of the previous 2.5lbs already logged above.15848011392741777769606.jpg

I was planning silicone hinges. I made top hinges for the ailerons and bottom hinges for the flaps. I sanded down the covering, applied Prymol, and syringed in the silicone. I let it go off. Sadly, when the tape came off, it didn't stick, so I pulled it off and went for Blenderm Tape, which I have never used before. It works anyway. A layer top, then fold it over and apply a layer underneath.

I have nearly finished covering the fuselage. the fin and tail are done, but right in the middle, the postman arrived and ..........

Edited By Peter Garsden on 21/03/2020 16:12:38

15848009627561912017730.jpg

LOL Mr Meade - and well done for having a go at my correct title. I am, however, an Honourable Member of Leek and Moorland Gliding Association - note to self for the future.

This little man fell out of the box, superb finish, very smooth, and a choice of 2 heads (he must be in two minds?), You can't say fairer than that. I only need head and shoulders, but he is going to be so nice, and virus free too. Made sure I washed my hands after touching him of course, and did not even pick my nose afterwards.....absolute bargain and highly recommended.....

15848010433681347091833.jpg

Edited By Peter Garsden on 21/03/2020 16:18:20

Your covered wing looks superb Pete - very smart and great to see a Sabre with some colours now applied!

Yes, the event has been put back today in an attempt to enable us to run our Mass Build Fly-In at full strength. So put 5th / 6th September in your diaries!

Sabres are being built all over the world and we were due to have participation of flyers from a variety of nations - I just hope by September all this is contained and we are free to enjoy our sport again to the full!

In the meantime, we have a few more weeks to finesse our models and lift the bar that bit further on scale smile d

Covering looking great Pete, yes I think we're all getting some excellent workshop time in at the moment. I'm also glad the pilot and seat arrived safe and sound, and that I used the correct honorific angel   I'm sure you've noticed the heads have balls in the neck - this should allow you to get whichever angle you deem appropriate - just sand the plastic back to the required angle.  Cyano is fine for gluing these parts.

Edited By Andy Meade on 21/03/2020 20:23:01

I have had words with the pilot who screamed when I cut through his upper body with a hot knife. I went for the head with the visor up, and have been busy painting today. Ideal flying conditions but the wind was ESE which is not a good direction for our slopes. Tomorrow will be SE which is better.

So have assembled and painted Wayne and his seat and glued them in. Also some bits of canopy furniture.

1584891734974-331383621.jpg

1584891704221-511180242.jpg

Does anyone know what the orange dome thing is? Looks like clear perspex with a gauge inside on the photographs?

Yours is coming on nicely. Glad to hear your not the only one with pilot problems, mine keeps moaning that I'm going to throw the plane off a cliff and he doesn't have a parachute!

The ADF antenna system used on the F-86 was used on the early FJ-2. The early FJ-2 had the clear dome mounted aft of the armor plate and a sense antenna on the inner surface of the sliding canopy, straight from the F-86; the dome was replaced by a wire loop on the FJ-3 with no sense antenna on the canopy (I seem to remember reading that this was applied to later F-86's but I may be mistaken). The area behind the ejector seat was simplified - not quite so satisfying from the modelling front but a lot easier.

ADF = Automatic Direction Finder which is like an old Sat Nav and works off beacons stationed in different locations. Anything else you need to know about rear cockpit machinery in the F86 Sabre,..... just ask David Sack....

Having self isolated in the shed, I was not looking forward to making the red circular trim for front of the fuselage. I measured up the drawing and used french curves to make a cardboard template. The curves not only sweep to the tail but also under the fuselage into a point to the rear underneath. Not easy.

1585136850190-1015359381.jpg

.Solartrim does not stick to bare balsa so I had to use a mixture of Solarfilm and Trim, but mainly trim because the cream Glosstex was underneath. Fiddly.

1585136873340-1992247377.jpg

The canopy went on with some RC Modeller's Glue.

Well, have put in the closed loop connections for the rudder. It is quite small and doesn't move an enormous amount, and is a lot of work, so I hope I can generate enough energy to use it in stall turns?

All fuselage decals on, receiver in, battery in with extension lead, magnetic switch hot glued into the side of the fuselage and a hole drilled for the blue light indicator, so I think, apart from balancing, the fuselage is finished.

Oh No. I need to create some wing fairings due to me making a boo boo and sanding a curve to the over wing fuselage in view of the shape of F6 - what I didn't realise was that the bottom part of F6 gets cut off. I think it will be alright - a mixture of 1/64" ply and balsa supports. Made them before.

1585324634155-1463477505.jpg

Do I think you should add panel lines? - definitely! - certainly the main panels anyway.  Use an ultra fine permanent marker and you'll be fine it will look great and break up those big areas nicely!

Yes, you've finished first once again Pete - impressive - plenty of time to have this all detailed and trimmed out before our event now!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 27/03/2020 20:30:22

Time to link up the flaps and ailerons. Ages ago I bought a supply of 2mm studding which is ideal for connecting rods, as, unlike bicycle spokes, you can put a clevis on each end.

Space was limited so I filed down the edges of the metal clevis.

I was worried that I wouldn't have enough movement on the flaps. Martin on the plan recommends 25mm down on crow and I only have 15mm but it should be fine. It isn't a mouldie and won't fly that fast, so it is questionable whether it needs flaps. As I have them I will use them.

I cut out some control horns out of circuit board. I used the upper hole for the flaps and the lower one for the ailerons

1585485265626900724709.jpg

1585673084739-1486945391.jpg

1585673121091-684796081.jpg

Yes indeed it is Steve. Took pictures of an assembled nearly complete model yesterday so here we are

1585753110292-630763913.jpg

If you look carefully you can see the incorrect curvature of the fuselage over the wing which, unless corrected will be a terrible wind turbulence creator, hence the need to create fairings. I have done panel lines on the wing but not the fuselage yet until the fairings are done.

Edited By Peter Garsden on 02/04/2020 18:02:46