RX8R Pro Signal Swamping??

Kim Taylor

I've recently been swapping my planes over to FrSky, using an X9D+SE 2019 with mainly Rx6R's and a single RX8R Pro receivers, all bound in D16 mode.

Up to this point, all has been going well, with no unexpected issues.

Yesterday I put the RX8R Pro in to my WOT4XL which has a petrol motor, which is why I used the Pro rx. Whilst doing the setup, I noticed a number of unexpected signal losses and upon investigating I found that if I get the tx too close (say within 1 metre) of the rx aerials, the rx immediately lost signal, the red l.e.d. flashing, until I moved the tx away when the link was re-established.

I have not been able to do a proper range test due to lack of space, but will obviously do one when I next go to the flying field.

Is this a 'normal' thing to be seeing, bearing in mind that the test conditions are, of course, abnormal regarding the distance between the rx and tx? Or should I be thinking about returning the rx for testing?

I'm a bit jumpy because the reason I have changed to FrSky is that I was getting unexplained control losses on my previous system, resulting in the loss of three models, and I don't want to be repeating that, obviously.

Thanks for looking

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 15/11/2019 11:09:44

Advert

Normal for me too with all my FrSky receivers - mostly X or D types. It happened with my Taranis as well as the Horus. It's nothing to worry about - unless you fly very,very close to yourself that is It can be a bit irritating in the workshop with the constant 'telemetry lost' voice followed almost immediately with 'telemetry regained' but it's not a serious worry.

Geoff

Kim,

i have a Horus 10 and several RX8R rx. With the Tx within 1m I nearly always get A Telemetry lost message but I am not aware of actually losing signal as the failsafe has never kicked in and I do a fair bit of bench testing within that range. Range test in reduced RF mode has always been as it should be and certainly no range issues in flight in the 2 years I have had the Horus. I only use the internal aerial btw.

Tim

Posted by Andy Meade on 15/11/2019 11:12:33:

Pretty much the same with all of my FRSky receivers and my Horus, especially when running both aerials at the same time. Are you seeing the same on the RX6R's?

Thanks to all for the reassurance - I thought it may be normal, but needed to check.

Hi Andy - the answer to your question is no, I haven't noticed any similar issues with the RX6R's. I'll have a go at making it happen this afternoon when I'm in the workshop (or back bedroom, as my missus insists on calling it!!) and I'll report back if it happens.

Thanks again

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 15/11/2019 13:11:03

Posted by Kim Taylor on 15/11/2019 13:10:05:
Posted by Andy Meade on 15/11/2019 11:12:33:

Pretty much the same with all of my FRSky receivers and my Horus, especially when running both aerials at the same time. Are you seeing the same on the RX6R's?

Thanks to all for the reassurance - I thought it may be normal, but needed to check.

Hi Andy - the answer to your question is no, I haven't noticed any similar issues with the RX6R's. I'll have a go at making it happen this afternoon when I'm in the workshop (or back bedroom, as my missus insists on calling it!!) and I'll report back if it happens.

Thanks again

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 15/11/2019 13:11:03

As promised, had a play with it this afternoon with the result that I could not get the RX6R's to swamp or drop out despite severe provocation - obviously the design must be different.

Kim

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 15/11/2019 19:13:48:

Do the RX8Rs have the paddle aerials and the RX6Rs plain coax? That could account for the extra sensitivity of the 8R. I've never quite understood the need for the paddle-blade aerials when most flyers are flying line of sight only.

Hi Bob,

The '8 has a kind of moulded sausage at the tip of the aerial, not the paddle type that I've seen pictures of.

The '6's have standard coax cable aerials. And yes, that may be the reason for the difference.

Kim

Posted by Kim Taylor on 15/11/2019 23:09:32:
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 15/11/2019 19:13:48:

Do the RX8Rs have the paddle aerials and the RX6Rs plain coax? That could account for the extra sensitivity of the 8R. I've never quite understood the need for the paddle-blade aerials when most flyers are flying line of sight only.

Hi Bob,

The '8 has a kind of moulded sausage at the tip of the aerial, not the paddle type that I've seen pictures of.

The '6's have standard coax cable aerials. And yes, that may be the reason for the difference.

Kim

Those sausages are described as high sensitivity, some form of dipole maybe? That certainly explains the difference in sensitivity leading to more pronounced swamping at close range.