BMFA Membership Card

Gary Manuel

Posted by Michael Adams 4 on 20/02/2020 11:29:12:

Hi, can any one please explain while this is all going on if we do get a beak in the weather and can fly

are we

INSURED I have paid my dues to the BMFA also to the CAA but nothing about INSURANCE.

All so what proof have we got that we are in fact INSURED, is this what this card is all

about??

Mike.

Yes you are insured from the moment your renew, you should have received your membership documents by email immediately on renewal and they can also be downloaded from the membership portal whenever you choose. The plastic membership card is an optional extra if you chose to have one. They are landing on doormats as I type too.

I wonder how small and what they will weigh ..... the *black box*- (radio data link back to the CAA 'police' , that we will all have to fit next as proof we never flew, in the 'wrong' place, near any buildings, people, animals, how high we flew, how fast we flew, (sure to be speed limits introduced next).

Will planes have to have annual MOT type checks at registered CAA test centres ?, will pilots also have to have health certificates to prove they are fit to operate a transmitter ?

Yet I believe there are over half a million car/van/truck drivers that don't hold a driving licence or insurance, or even undergo a sight test.

I remember when it was a hobby, and we had fun, ....... sad

Ray.

Edited By eflightray on 20/02/2020 13:27:38

Posted by eflightray on 20/02/2020 13:27:09:

I wonder how small and what they will weigh ..... the *black box*- (radio data link back to the CAA 'police' , that we will all have to fit next as proof we never flew, in the 'wrong' place, near any buildings, people, animals, how high we flew, how fast we flew, (sure to be speed limits introduced next).

Will planes have to have annual MOT type checks at registered CAA test centres ?, will pilots also have to have health certificates to prove they are fit to operate a transmitter ?

Yet I believe there are over half a million car/van/truck drivers that don't hold a driving licence or insurance, or even undergo a sight test.

I remember when it was a hobby, and we had fun, ....... sad

Ray.

Edited By eflightray on 20/02/2020 13:27:38

It's still a hobby and we still have fun, just a matter of not getting carried away about things that are either not relevant, minor inconveniences or unrealistic. Get on with your model aircraft flying , enjoy it and have fun, there is absolutely nothing stopping you.

Posted by Michael Adams 4 on 20/02/2020 11:29:12:

Hi, can any one please explain while this is all going on if we do get a beak in the weather and can fly

are we

INSURED I have paid my dues to the BMFA also to the CAA but nothing about INSURANCE.

All so what proof have we got that we are in fact INSURED, is this what this card is all

about??

Mike.

If you log onto the BMFA portal you can print out your paper membership card. This is an A4 piece of paper, the bottom 25% is the card that you can stick together and pop in your wallet and the top 75% is your insurance certificate.

Cheers,

Nigel

The "black box" won't be much bigger than a receiver, and it's to identify your "drone" so a commercial device can take avoiding action. Read the link:- **LINK**

Expect a hear a lot about BVLOS in the future. Sorry this is going off topic.

Membership card arrived in the post this morning by the way.

Edited By Tony Packe on 20/02/2020 17:49:43

Posted by SR 71 on 20/02/2020 19:15:43:

i joined the BMFA paid my dues and also the £9 CAA tax two three weeks ago, not heard anything at ALL yet from them

Did you get a confirmation email? They are sent automatically the moment you pay and has your documents attached, you will also have got a confirmation about CAA registration too. If neither have arrived message me your membership number/email address and I can investigate.

Posted by SR 71 on 20/02/2020 23:57:09:

I dont know my membership number, as i say i have heard nothing, been checking my emails including the spam every day,

Did you pay online in the BMFA Portal. If so, as Andy siad, you should have got email confirmations pretty instantly. If you didn’t get these emails then easy to check - just log in to the portal and check the membership status - it should show both the BMFA and CAA as active.

Pretty sure there has been a magazine this year too, did you get that?

Cheers,

Nigel

I dont know my membership number, as i say i have heard nothing, been checking my emails including the spam every day,

How did you join the BMFA - online, phone, or through your club?

As others have said, if you did it on-line the response is immediate, so if you got nothing are you sure your email address was correct?

I suggest you give Andy as much information as you can (including time/date address etc.) and hope he can sort it out.

Dick

Posted by Dickw on 21/02/2020 10:06:07:

How did you join the BMFA - online, phone, or through your club?

As others have said, if you did it on-line the response is immediate, so if you got nothing are you sure your email address was correct?

I suggest you give Andy as much information as you can (including time/date address etc.) and hope he can sort it out.

Dick

Can definitely sort it, but do need some details, name, postcode and email address should suffice. Email to [email protected]

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 21/02/2020 10:09:31:

On the card and getting discounts, so far for me its working well, saved £7.00 at Argos and another £5 at B&Q so far. Not bad for £3.50.

I'm decorating the house at the moment so scope for more savings too.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 21/02/2020 10:10:08

Rubbing it in that you have your card devil

Cheers,

Nigel

On the card and getting discounts, so far for me its working well, saved £7.00 at Argos and another £5 at B&Q so far. Not bad for £3.50.

That's great to hear Andy. Interesting that neither B&Q or Argos show up on the Vectis search App though. How did you know that they accept the card?

Gary there seems to be a lot more retailers listed now I have my card and am logged in.

Andy - Do you just present the card at the checkout? It's not actually clear. When I'm in the rewards website and go to a specific retailer theres a bit of a description of the retailer and the option to buy their branded reloadable cards at a discount. I'm hoping that is just another option, rather than being the only (tortuous) way to use the discount?

Posted by Gary Manuel on 21/02/2020 10:17:24:

That's great to hear Andy. Interesting that neither B&Q or Argos show up on the Vectis search App though. How did you know that they accept the card?

Through the www.bmfa-rewards.co.uk website. I suspect because quite a few of the discounts are via e-card that you purchase beforehand they don't show as a location on the app.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 21/02/2020 10:31:22:

Gary there seems to be a lot more retailers listed now I have my card and am logged in.

Andy - Do you just present the card at the checkout? It's not actually clear. When I'm in the rewards website and go to a specific retailer theres a bit of a description of the retailer and the option to buy their branded reloadable cards at a discount. I'm hoping that is just another option, rather than being the only (tortuous) way to use the discount?

Some places you do, Go-Outdoors, Thorntons chocolates to name 2.

B&Q and Argos I bought a gift card in advance at the discounted rate, both orders were done click and collect though so I filled the cart, so I knew the total, popped on to bmfa-rewards, bought the cards and redeemed them immediat;ly online, took no time at all and not what I would call tortuous.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 21/02/2020 10:43:01

Posted by Nigel Heather on 21/02/2020 10:15:05:

Rubbing it in that you have your card devil

Cheers,

Nigel

Me??? Never!!! (Sent you a message )

Ahhhhh - I see!!!!

I've now received my card and it comes with an explanation and a bit of a surprise.

In addition to the card being a Vectis Card, you also get access to "the BMFA Reward scheme". This does give discount at LOTS of different outlets. The list is very impressive! The discounts offered by the BMFA Reward Scheme are either via digital discount cards or via Reloadable discount cards. Not as convenient as the Vectis Card, but still worth knowing about.

Interestingly, the covering letter states ".... as a member of the BMFA, you have exclusive access to our reward scheme .....". It does not say that this is tied to the plastic membership card, so maybe this is available to all members? It's certainly worth looking into, but for now, I'll just make use of it as best I can.

Posted by Gary Manuel on 21/02/2020 10:45:38:

Ahhhhh - I see!!!!

I've now received my card and it comes with an explanation and a bit of a surprise.

In addition to the card being a Vectis Card, you also get access to "the BMFA Reward scheme". This does give discount at LOTS of different outlets. The list is very impressive! The discounts offered by the BMFA Reward Scheme are either via digital discount cards or via Reloadable discount cards. Not as convenient as the Vectis Card, but still worth knowing about.

Interestingly, the covering letter states ".... as a member of the BMFA, you have exclusive access to our reward scheme .....". It does not say that this is tied to the plastic membership card, so maybe this is available to all members? It's certainly worth looking into, but for now, I'll just make use of it as best I can.

It's tied to having the card.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 21/02/2020 10:47:50:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 21/02/2020 10:45:38:

Ahhhhh - I see!!!!

It's tied to having the card.

Thanks Andy, Worth asking the question though.

The primary purpose of the card is to act as a physical membership card, while in our research 65% of members were happy with the paperless documentation some wanted a physical card and after looking around this seemed a good way of providing it as an option but while giving the opportunity to easily recover the costs of the card. However I fully expect to recover at least my cost of BMFA membership, CAA registration and the card.