BMFA Membership Card

Gary Manuel

I chose to have a plastic card for pure commercial reasons.

I regularly use "Go Outdoors". With the 10% discount offered by the card, I only need to spend £35 to cover the cost of the card. No brainer really.

PS I hope it comes quickly cos' I'm ready for a new pair of waterproof walking shoes - and there's a sale on at the moment wink

Posted by Gary Manuel on 18/02/2020 12:30:48:

I regularly use "Go Outdoors". With the 10% discount offered by the card, I only need to spend £35 to cover the cost of the card. No brainer really.

PS I hope it comes quickly cos' I'm ready for a new pair of waterproof walking shoes - and there's a sale on at the moment wink

Sale on at Sports Direct again, good boots at good prices.

Posted by john stones 1 on 18/02/2020 12:59:41:

Sale on at Sports Direct again, good boots at good prices.

I don't use Sports Direct for ethical reasons. I'll stick to Go Outdoors thanks.

Is that online or in-store?

If it works like other reward schemes do, it's not a matter of flopping your card on counter in the Go Outdoors store. Instead it is likely to use the one or both of the following methods

1) You see something that you want to buy at Go Outdoors for £100. You log into the reward site and buy a £100 voucher for £90. You are provided with one or more vouchers totalling £100. You can then use the vouchers online or in-store.  This is best for one off purchases.

2) You log into the reward site and request a Go Outdoors top up card. You wait and it arrives in the post. You log into reward site and link your Go Outdoors top up card with your account. You can then add funds to the card which you can then spend online or in store.  This is more convenient if you shop there regularly. 

Don't get me wrong, the discount is genuine it's just that it needs some planning, and sometimes you think the £2 I am going to save is not worth the hassle.

The other thing to remember, is that if you decide not to buy the thing from the retailer, or they are out of stock, or you return it because it is faulty or not fit you get vouchers back. So you are committed to spending at that retailer.

Don't forget to also google for discount codes, for example until the end of February you can get 20% off Go Outdoors with the discount code

SPECIAL20

you can combine this with you reward site discount so you will 28% discount in total.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 18/02/2020 15:18:17

Edited By Nigel Heather on 18/02/2020 15:21:05

Edited By Nigel Heather on 18/02/2020 15:21:20

Edited By Nigel Heather on 18/02/2020 15:22:01

Edited By Nigel Heather on 18/02/2020 15:26:18

Go Outdoors doesn't work like that Nigel.

You just need to show your card at the till for an extra 10% on top of the Go Outdoors Discount Card. You do need to ring for a discount code for on-line purchases though.

See HERE for Go Outdoor / Vectis terms.

The SPECIAL20 looks good if it works, but I do prefer to try shoes on before I buy them.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 18/02/2020 16:17:02

Posted by Gary Manuel on 18/02/2020 16:16:20:

Go Outdoors doesn't work like that Nigel.

You just need to show your card at the till for an extra 10% on top of the Go Outdoors Discount Card. You do need to ring for a discount code for on-line purchases though.

See HERE for Go Outdoor / Vectis terms.

The SPECIAL20 looks good if it works, but I do prefer to try shoes on before I buy them.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 18/02/2020 16:17:02

Does that mean that you have got your BMFA card - oh I see, that is how Vectris cards work so the BMFA one should work that way.  Hopefully there are a few more retailer deals like that

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 18/02/2020 18:42:08

Posted by Gary Manuel on 18/02/2020 19:11:10:

No I have not got my card yet Nigel, but I noted from the BMFA GoMembership portal that the BMFA card I was signing up for was a Vectis Card (not Vectris).

If you want to know what Vectis deals are available in your area, click HERE and enter your postcode.

Thank you, that is very helpful. Disappointing list in my postcode to be honest - but I agree that the card is so cheap I only have to use it once or twice to cover the cost.

I'm at work so don't have the BMFA Card flyer with me so I can't say for sure but I seem to remember that it displayed the logos of all sorts of famous name retailers, but these are not coming up in the link that you kindly provided.

Cheers,

Nigel

Posted by Gary Manuel on 19/02/2020 11:48:53:

Yes Nigel, I agree.

When I saw the PowerPoint presentation, I thought I saw the likes of Screwfix, B@Q, Argos, Asda?

I guess companies who accept Vectis come and go as their needs to attract more customers changes.

Yes, I saw Amazon at one point which is what convinced me to go for it. I like the idea of the plastic card but on the other hand let me count the number of times I have had to show my membership card in the last 35 years, bear with me it's a lot of years ..................................... and the results are in - NEVER.

Cheers,

Nigel

I too looked at some gear from Go Outdoors but the devil is in the detail -

Go Outdoors T & C's for Vectis card use.- Not to be used in conjunction with price guarantee, sale, clearance, WOW deals, multi-buys, bundles or any other offers. crying 2crying 2crying 2

I joined the BMFA for insurance for my drone but decided I would have a go at fixed wing flying. I think I can fly as good as most but because I have no A certificate I had a load of hassle.
And now I am really peed off about this £3.50 membership card. If I do not attain my A certificate this year I will not be renewing my BMFA membership next year. I have found a cheaper insurer and will go with them and will fly at a non BMFA affiliated club.

Posted by Neil Hobbs on 19/02/2020 19:05:10:

I joined the BMFA for insurance for my drone but decided I would have a go at fixed wing flying. I think I can fly as good as most but because I have no A certificate I had a load of hassle.
And now I am really peed off about this £3.50 membership card. If I do not attain my A certificate this year I will not be renewing my BMFA membership next year. I have found a cheaper insurer and will go with them and will fly at a non BMFA affiliated club.

I have got to ask, why do you get hassle for not having an A certificate?

Posted by Neil Hobbs on 19/02/2020 19:05:10:

Card aside, what hassle have you been having with BMFA clubs.

I've been a member for about 35 years although there have been periods of non-flying during that time.

I don't have a 'A' Certificate either - nothing against it, simply that none of the clubs I have been a member of have required it. The only time it has been an inconvenience is having to waste a few minutes doing the idiot test so I'll probably get round to finally doing it this year.

As for membership card, again I have never been asked to present it, so the piece of card in my wallet has always been sufficient.

Now I have recently enquired at two clubs that have a rule that you can't fly solo without an 'A' Certificate, maybe that is what you encountered. I haven't joined those, but I guess if those are the rules then they have plenty of guidance and help on tap and examiners galore to help you comply.

The card - because I have never had to use mine in 35 years my initial thought was not to bother. I do like the idea of a plastic card but really, does it matter if it will never get used. I know it is only £3.50 but once I had put the £38 membership and the £9 registration in the basket and then the card pushed it over the £50 mark I did wince a bit. The thing that pushed it into the shopping basket was promotional material that showed Amazon as one of the participating retailers (I use them a lot so that seemed a no brainer).

If Amazon really is included then I will be renewing next year and the next and so on. If not it will depend on whether I get any use out of the card, if not, even though it is only £3.50, I probably wouldn't bother again.

Cheers,

Nigel

Here's a thought.

If it takes until late February for the cards to be ordered and sent out, let's hope that they are valid until the end of February at least, so that we don't have a break in their validity as discount cards next year.

Edit - of course they will be dated as end of December as that's when the BMFA membership expires.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 20/02/2020 10:38:16

Posted by Michael Adams 4 on 20/02/2020 11:29:12:

Hi, can any one please explain while this is all going on if we do get a beak in the weather and can fly

are we

INSURED I have paid my dues to the BMFA also to the CAA but nothing about INSURANCE.

All so what proof have we got that we are in fact INSURED, is this what this card is all

about??

Mike.

Yes you are insured from the moment your renew, you should have received your membership documents by email immediately on renewal and they can also be downloaded from the membership portal whenever you choose. The plastic membership card is an optional extra if you chose to have one. They are landing on doormats as I type too.