New lipo battery swollen. Is this normal?

Advert

Posted by Andrew Calcutt on 15/12/2019 16:18:26:

I don't think Royal Mail will carry lipos.You will need a carrier,unless they are paying the postage forget it,and get some from over lander which are in England and are very good batteries.

Ouch!, just seen the price of Overlanders. Will have to go with Turnigy or Zippy on my budget.

Got a 6s one off Bangood, came from China, took 6 weeks to arrive and when it did the cell readings were all over the shop. Tried charge / balance which took several hours (i kept a good eye on it in case of problems) it eventually got all readings roughly the same. I left it for a week or so and checked it and once again it was horrendously out of balance - 90%, 5%, 23%, 11%, 88%, 88% i contacted the supplier who asked for proof of a problem so i sent them pictures of the cell readings. Eventually they agreed to replace it `a replacement will be put in the post for you`, another six week wait for the replacement which of course never came. Batteries from China..............not for me angry 2

Christopher

I think you may have to accept that Bangood know full well the difficulty of returning a faulty LiPo. I expect they will replace them if you can get them back to them. wink 2

I fear you may find the cost of returning them may be more than they are worth.

Find out what it would cost to do as they ask and with that information send them pictures of the swelling and insist you want either new replacements or a full refund.

You have been unlucky.

I have had some Lipo sent from China that have been better and longer lasting than others but never a swollen one from new.

This is a good reason to buy from a retailer if possible. I realise these are now becoming scarce but you can take things back and discuss problems face to face. My nearest is 20 miles away (Al's Hobbies) but any excuse to browse the shelves is always rewarding. I can easily get there and back on 1 gallon of diesel so can be cost effective compared to postage and packaging.

Posted by Christopher Morris 2 on 15/12/2019 16:09:01:

I contacted them & they sent a return slip & postage.. The odd thing is that the royal mail postage slip they sent says that lithium battery's should be posted according to guide lines. What's the guide.
Maybe this is why Hermes deliver them. "No rules"

I have had Lipos from HK with Lithium on the package and a few from Europe, someone needs a hand slap surprise