Hitec 81

Advert

I think the HS81 has a plain bearing and plastic gears and it is a budget servo. You could try stripping it down and see if any gear teeth are missing. If so, you can probably get spare gear sets from eBay if you can be bothered. You could try spraying the potentiometer inside with electrical cleaner but the cleaner may cost more than a new servo - and not make any difference!

I have bought quite a few Corona DS-929MG servos from HobbyKing, if you think of getting a replacement servo.yes

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 09/01/2020 17:14:58

Sadly I echo what has already been said, and I have confined HS81's to the throttle if at all, and agree that the corona are far better. There will be plenty of people with good HS81's, but especially over the last few years, I have had issues with HS82MG's (poor centering) and HS5245MG's (also poor centering)... and only the HS85MG's seems to be of the expected standard in the midi hitec range, especially bad when the so called budget brands have upped their game. I personally wouldnt try and repair it for what it would cost for a decent corona.

HS 81 servos don't play well Futaba receivers at switch-on. I find they jitter until I move the sticks, then they are perfectly OK. It's something in the way the servo perceives the power-up and control pulse at the same time. I have noticed this going back to 35MHz PCM receivers but never had a problem flying those servos.

A.

Posted by Maurice Dyer on 13/01/2020 07:45:33:

No, it settles down and works ok ??

Maurice

If I'm honest, I'd probably just live with it, if it is really only something that happens at power on and goes away after a quick waggle of the sticks.

HS-85MG are all round much better than the 81.

If you're looking at corona 929 then the HS-65MG is a far closer comparison in terms of size / weight / torque, I think.

The 81 are good enough in low load (throttles, small surfaces / slow flyers) type use, although the 82MG version has obviously more resilience to knocks and bumps.

Try disconnecting the other servos and see what happens, some are not compatible with 6V and although they seem to work fine can affect the others.

Does this only happen after a fresh charge? If so ignore it.

The problem is often due to a dirty or worn pot. Also, Hitec use a sprung connection to the pot. centre, not a wire to a wiper. This can get dirty or corroded and can be checked by applying a very small dab of WD40.

To be quite honest, for all these cost, you may as well just replace it.

I had made up my mind to live with it and not make a mountain out of etc.I

I was trialling the aileron installation and movements before covering and painting, but the servos were just laying loose on the bench. So, I installed them properly and guess what ?. Not a twitch.

Dipstick or what. Thanks for all the answers, and advice. Forty years a radio flyer, and still a dipstick.

No hope I'm afraid..........

Maurice