Poor Solartex Application

Andy J

Advert

If that's silver Solartex, then a hot iron with sock (to prevent bruising) will seal the worst of those open edges on the wing tapes and probably most of the wrinkles. A hot air gun will pull out the rest, with a soft cloth (or the iron sock) in your other hand to smooth down and ensure adhesion.

(I don't like the silver 'tex tbh. If I'm doing 'silver' fabric now, I'll use natural or white 'tex and paint it.)

You probably only have your iron's word that it's at 145 degrees, You can adjust the temperature with some scrap covering to achieve the best shrinking temperature.

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with Ken on this occasion though - it's very easy to overheat covering with a heat gun and while I do use one on occasions, an iron gives much more control.

Martin Harris...lu..2...sorry ken dept.

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/02/2020 17:52:39

Don't use a paintbstipper gun. It does way more than the melt temperature of Solartex.

I see a huge amount of work in the wing.

But I can't see that covering shrinking onto it,

A suggestion, given you plan to use tape over the stitching, do the main panels, and then the tips. The join can be under a tape. Easier.

If you look at the literature, no one suggests a heat gun. No control of temperature ( shrink)

Edit, the main panels are expensive, but (relatively) easy. The tip is cheap, but ( relatively ) difficult. Hide the join under the tape.

2nd edit, read the instructions, when it goes on the wing, it looks like a fit that need a bit of a shrink, with a few cross grain wrinkles.

Edited By Don Fry on 03/02/2020 19:20:56

Edited By Don Fry on 03/02/2020 19:25:59

I agree with Andrew, strip it and start again. I've just covered a model with polyester silk ( from hobby craft) it's as cheap as chips, £2.50 buys you a metre length, 90cm wide. I applied it using covergrip, goes round double curvetures wonderfully, shrinks with a little heat and three coats of thinned dope seals it.

You could make life much easier by deleting the tapes over the riblets - there weren't any to the best of my knowledge. They look rather over-wide to me as well although this could be an optical illusion due to the additional riblet tapes - I don't know the scale but on full size they are likely to be around 2 inches wide, which would translate to around a third of an inch [or @ 8 of those euro mm things] at 1/6 scale. Their function is to cover and reinforce the stitching round the ribs below.

When you do the main covering, you need to get the Solartex as tight as possible at the adhesion stage - there are limits to how much it shrinks.

If you do decide to start from scratch again, do be sure that you have sufficient Solartex - it's no longer made so conserve it as much as possible.

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/02/2020 22:52:47

Semi fixed the issue using a combination of a heat gun and iron, so thanks to those who recommended this approach. Used a temperature of 150C which shrank the solartex back even in those areas where the covering had stuck to subsurface structure, so well pleased.

LOL.. Sorry Andy but that is the worst covering job I've ever seen! emotion

I can't understand how you managed to get it like that, I suspect either the surface was uneven or the first layer was not stuck down properly and subsequent layers added to the problem.

Glad you have managed to put it right. Show us some pics.

Ps. I have little patience with covering jobs and end up doing it multiple times.