CAA height restriction and BMFA exemption question

Tim Donald

Hi, just getting back into flying after a long lay off. Can somebody please clarify the current height restriction rules?

I know about the CAA 400ft limit and see that the BMFA have an exemption for aircraft (not drones) under 7Kgs but is there still a maximum height restriction (assuming not in controlled airspace)? What I'm really interested in is how high I can legally thermal a glider from a flat field in uncontrolled airspace (or is there not a limit)?

Thanks !

Advert

Tim and Simon,

Here is the information you need (the exemptions don't just concern registration if you are a member one of 4 organisations - of which the BMFA is one). Easy to find if you go to the home page of the BMFA and click on the very obvious link!

**LINK**

All you need to do is download and save to your phone or print and carry with you along with the other exemptions.

I do wish people would check before replying in forums airing their ignorance and spreading confusion.

Thanks Christopher, but please don't get sarcastic. This is after all posted in the beginners section. It was a genuine question that I couldn't find the answer to. Here is the article I was reading with the broken full wording link :

**LINK**

For what it's worth, the reason I asked was because I heard experienced people at a local club saying they were breaking the 400ft rule if they flew above 400ft and I wanted to check as I thought this was not the case so it's maybe not as widely know about as you might think.

Anyway, thanks - all understood now.

I haven't looked but I doubt that they would be. The site mentions that exemptions can be granted for numerous activities, both full size and model and I wouldn't expect to see them listed individually.  I suspect that's why we are required to carry a copy of the exemption while using it.

If you wish to check its validity, I expect you could email [email protected] or phone the relevant department on 0330 022 1908 for confirmation.

Edited By Martin Harris on 07/03/2020 00:21:17

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 06/03/2020 23:58:06:

I am not inferring anything but can anyone point out where the height restriction exemptions are mentioned on the CAA web site?

See CAA Website Model Aircraft Section.

"The CAA recognises that a 400ft height limitation can be difficult to achieve for some aspects of model flying and we also acknowledge the good historical safety record that model aircraft flying has when operated under the ‘best practice’ offered through established model flying associations. In recognition of this, permission to operate above 400ft, under certain defined circumstances, has been issued to a number of UK Model Aircraft Associations for use by their members. Please contact your association for further details of the conditions within this permission."

Edited By John Lee on 07/03/2020 09:56:25

It is the complexity, or is that exemptions that most of us welcome, that have been negotiated for us that muddies the waters.

This has made a simple understanding and clarity in application of the regulations contentious, in that a simple concept is surrounded by caveats, to trap the unwary.

All the result of those with little if any respect for any regulations, and apparently a government department who are trying to create an operational environment for something that is nebulous, in future usage, even to themselves.