Motor stutters near full throttle

Ahh But, the sticks may not be calibrated well

Or there may be some latent end point setting or sub trim left in

Basically, your Throttle stick may be going too far down and not enough up.

If you have a Servo Monitor on your Tx, with the Rx switched off, move the Stick fully up and down

And watch the cursor move steadily fully left and fully right.

Go into sub trim and dial out any trim to zero

Check there is zero expo

Check end points are not over 100% and for now set those 95%

While you have been testing recently, you didn't mention if the model was tethered, And with prop on or off

But usually from now, proceed with the prop off as the next step may involve the prop bursting into life.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 13/03/2020 17:02:36

Surely the easiest way to check whether the problem is in the Tx (or Rx) is to drive the ESC from a servo tester instead. If the motor throttles smoothly with the tester, it’s a radio problem. If the problem’s still there, my bet would be excess current causing the ESC to complain. Although I have to agree that when I’ve seen this behaviour in the past, it’s usually been down to motor/ESC wiring defects.

Trevor

Posted by Richard Hayward 6 on 13/03/2020 16:39:31:

Thanks Dennis - I don't know any other way to set the range other than:

Turn Tx on, Throttle to max, turn Rx on, wait for beeps, throttle to min. ????

Not sure if this is what you meant, but my version would be:-

Start with Lipo disconnected - (but Rx turned on if you have a separate switch?)

Turn on Tx, throttle to max, connect Lipo to ESC, wait for beeps, throttle to min.

Dick

Just a thought, as I'm not that familiar with Futaba systems. Have you got high frame rate enabled?

Standard frame rate is around 18mS (give or take) but many 2.4 GHz sets allow a higher frame rate (9mS or so) in order to reduce latency. Usually its only servos that object to high frame rate (should only be used with "digital" servos), ESCs are usually tolerant. But if you have selected high frame rate, it might be worth trying it at the normal frame rate.

You never know....

--

Pete

Richard, have gone back to page 1 of your gear, so I will quote that others may help

These are notes from Mcgregor

Aimed at none-hall, direct current brushless motors, several parameters can be set through a programming card or key on the ESC and are convenient to use.

• Easily configured using a programming card.
  • System can automatically detect throttle neutral point.
  • 3 timing modes can match different motors.
  • 3 modes of start force adjustment.
  • Governor mode for heli
  • Reverse motor direction

Lads, a question

Does Governor mode prevent overspeed?

Edited By Denis Watkins on 14/03/2020 15:45:02

Posted by Denis Watkins on 14/03/2020 15:42:38:

Richard, have gone back to page 1 of your gear, so I will quote that others may help

These are notes from Mcgregor

Aimed at none-hall, direct current brushless motors, several parameters can be set through a programming card or key on the ESC and are convenient to use.

• Easily configured using a programming card.
  • System can automatically detect throttle neutral point.
  • 3 timing modes can match different motors.
  • 3 modes of start force adjustment.
  • Governor mode for heli
  • Reverse motor direction

Lads, a question

Does Governor mode prevent overspeed?

Edited By Denis Watkins on 14/03/2020 15:45:02

Richard,

Does a clue now lie in the fact you have 1350 watts versus 860 watts? It did strike me in the beginning that 25 amps at three quarter throttle on the 13 x 8 prop seemed a bit unusual. Plus the fact that the prop seemed to be the only common link during all your trials and tribulations. I always clock the prop speed with a tacho first anyway, that’s a fairly sure way of seeing what’s going on; for me anyway. And my idle thoughts about a warbird of around 9lbs in weight would be that it would surely appreciate at least 1200 watts of power (or just a little bit more, perhaos...) to fly in that nicely spirited manner that warbird should be flown. Flat out! But that’s only my idea, every one has his own personal choices and ideas. Agreeing with Colin it certainly sounds like the Quantum is a potential contender as a replacement. How would you consider your Spit compares physically with your Acrowot? If more or less the same then a likewise power plant might not be far of the button… I’d have thought that the flying characteristics are perhaps not that much too dissimilar, either…

Good luck with what ever you try.

PB

Edited By Peter Beeney on 14/03/2020 19:58:17

Edited By Peter Beeney on 14/03/2020 19:59:16

Thanks Peter. The spit has much the same span as an Acro, but about 2lbs heavier. Wing section not too dissimilar. Waiting to hear back from the supplier re alternative motors, but the Quantum defo a contender. Colin - the first two motors were included with the Macgregor Boost 50 pack. The latest one is an Overlander Thumper. But, they have identical specs and look identical, so I suspect they are badged versions of the same motor .

Following this thread with interest.

I recently bought a set of four 20A ESCs. when tried, the first had an odd "misfire" at anything over half throttle, but only on load. Off load it sounded fine. After a little messing around, I found that all four ESCs had this "feature". I did wonder if I had bought seconds, sold as perfect.