Motor stutters near full throttle

Hope you guys can help me again. I've recently bought the new VQ Spitfire. From the UK importers (Macgregor) I also bought the recommended motor / ESC combination (720KV, 860w motor and an 80A ESC). Transmitter is Futaba 10J (which I am using quite happily with an Acrowot and Phase 5e). Battery is a fully charged 5s. Prop APC 13x8E.

I set up the Tx throttle range as per instructions. Motor powered up OK, but passing around three quarters throttle, it started juddering and rpm tailed off. Amps at this point around 25 - dropped as the stuttering started.

Returned both items for refund. New ones exactly the same! Tried changing the timing from Med to Low and High. No significant change. Returned both for a refund and bought another similar combo from different supplier (different badge, but pretty sure same manufacturer). Same result!!

So, I'm thinking it can only be a Tx problem? I'm at a loss - any suggestions gratefully received!!

Don't the car boys call that cogging ? I've had it on two planes ! Both times it was dodgy motor/esc connectors . Took a lot of investigation on bench but eventually plug lead parted ! Saw it on a club mates plane and he got it down and leads parted with just a gentle tug ! You can bring down the top end of the throttle curve as well if testing doesn't show up soldering . Did this by 8% on new bipe till got it on bench. Hope this helps ! Colin

Posted by Richard Hayward 6 on 12/03/2020 11:13:26:

Thanks ED. It does seem to be pointing to the motor connections, but does seem odd that same prob on three motors from different sources. Still out shopping, so will continue later.......

Timing Maybe?

For a brushless motor, the number of poles (magnets) determines the optimum timing. Less timing advance is more efficient and higher timing advance is more powerful but uses more juice, within the range that a particular motor can use.

Low Timing Advance
Timing Degrees – 5 & 10
Motor Poles – 2 to 4
Expected Performance – Good balance of power and efficiency
Motor Poles – 6 or more
Expected Performance – Best efficiency and run time (lowest power)

Standard Timing Advance
Timing Degrees – 15 & 20
Motor Poles – 6 to 12
Motor Poles – 14 or more
Expected Performance – Best efficiency and run time (lowest power)

High Timing Advance
Timing Degrees – 25
Motor Poles – 12
Expected Performance – Highest power, less efficiency
Motor Poles – 14 or more

Several of us in the club had the same problem with the Durafly Vampire.

After changing fan units / esc's etc. it turned out to be one of the bullet connectors to the motor.

Several fan units had the same fault.

It was fine at low to medium rpm, but at high rpm the vibration caused one of the connectors to make and break quickly.

Hope that helps.

Had this a good few times, from my experience, it is either 1. Timing or 2. Re-solder connectors on both ESC to motor and motor to ESC.. do one at a time if you want to find out which one it was... if these fail, it tends to be wire in the motor windings.. but rare for me.

Posted by Richard Hayward 6 on 13/03/2020 15:26:19:

Right. Have redone all connectors with new items and leaded solder. Have tried a known good receiver from Acrowot. Still the same. Think it must be something in the Tx settings, but really have no idea what as I set the throttle range in the ESC in the usual way.

You have a handle on it now Richard

3 motors throttling exactly the same way as the Tx range was set

Go back and check and reset the throttle range as per instructions in the usual way, but not as you did before

Edited By Denis Watkins on 13/03/2020 16:33:17