Benefits of the lockdown

Former Member

Advert

• 3 weeks later...

Although I've been involved with electronics both professionally and as a hobby, I've never actually built a crystal radio set! To remedy this oversight and to take a break from model aeroplanes, I've spent a few quid on components and the rest I've constructed myself from household items and stuff from my spares box - a tuning capacitor from a kitchen roll tube and aluminium foil as an example. The aerial from an old hank of cable  and an earth rod from a length of spare copper tube from a plumbing project. I've put together several different types, each a little more complex each time and I'm amazed at how well they work!

So much information on the internet, in fact I came across a PDF of a book written by aeromodeller Ron Warring in the 50s that covers the subject in great detail with many improved designs and background info. The basic simplicity of the crystal set makes it that much more fascinating and has given me a great deal of fun over the last couple of weeks - music and speech literally out of thin air! I'd never heard of the 'trench or foxhole radio' until now which used (among other things) a Gillette razor blade and pencil lead as a detector. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxhole_radio Will have to give that a go.

My dad was a prisoner of the Japanese in Thailand from 1942-45 and he said that it was suspected that the British officers had access to radio news from a hidden set, so I suppose it's quite feasible they might have cobbled together a simple receiver from odds and ends if a proper set didn't exist. They were in the middle of the jungle (no barbed wire, search lights, tunnels or motorbike jumps wink etc) so no source of anything very sophisticated technically would be available to buy, extort, or steal and obviously a power supply for even a small valve set would be impossible I should think, but who knows?

There was never any news disseminated to the ordinary prisoners, I suppose for fear of alerting the Japanese to the existence of incoming news and a hidden radio - but obviously, rumours and snippets of info must have leaked out. At the end, I recall my dad saying that one morning  the Japanese and Korean guards had simply vanished without warning and the prisoners were left on their own for several days until allied soldiers wandered into the camp!

Anyway, apologies, I digress......... but don't just get bogged down with models, now's the chance to explore another subject that interests you but haven't had the time to get around to in the past.

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/05/2020 10:46:17

I'm sure ingenuity of PoW knew few bounds and they made use of anything they could find. Our moaning about a few weeks lockdown pales into insignificance compared to what your father and his fellow prisoners had to tolerate for years rather than weeks.

Interesting that you've never made a crystal set. My first efforts at electronics was building single valve TRF receivers with reaction feedback which could quickly turn a receiver into a transmitter . I actually own an brand new unsold stock crystal set from I suppose the 1920s and I have actually used a crystal complete with cat's whisker. I had a huge aerial suspended along the roof from my bedroom window for the ex WD s/w receivers I acquired. I suspect my commercial crystal set is a left over from Dad's early days when he added radios to the clocks and watches his father sold at the shop where I spent my early years.

One of the benefits of the lockdown is that I'm losing weight because my wife and I go for a walk every morning. I'd already started to cut down my food intake as I was getting a bit porky and was hoping to consolidate the weight loss through a few more cycling miles but that isn't to be for now. I've had to put the braces I usually use for cycling on my trousers because they were in danger of falling down! We're doing about 3 or 4 miles across the field paths near our house. Watching nature come to life through the beautiful Spring weather has been a small compensation for not being free to live our lives as before.

Geoff

... I love both Cuban 8 and Geoff S educational background stories.

... and to the moaning, grumpy and egocentric forumites without any considerations except their own - I guess they will easily recognize themselves - here's an old Chinese proverb:

"I was complaining having no shoes until I met someone without feet" (freely translated)...

Cheers and stay safe

Chris

Posted by McG 6969 on 01/05/2020 18:02:28:

... I love both Cuban 8 and Geoff S educational background stories.

... and to the moaning, grumpy and egocentric forumites without any considerations except their own - I guess they will easily recognize themselves - here's an old Chinese proverb:

"I was complaining having no shoes until I met someone without feet" (freely translated)...

Cheers and stay safe

Chris

Surely you do not think that we have people like that on our forum ? wink 2

... beware, John.

... in BE, it seems that this confinement is giving people some 'overweight'.

... too much food - and probably beers - during the lazy daytime are the culprit.

... I suggest you only have to move some ladders around all day long... yes

Cheers

Chris