NGH 17cc Petrol Engine.

No gag honest.

It just our phones have taken over John, and the lens is never that clean, and the camera is just too small.

In the olden days I helped students organise folders and you could clearly see a decent camera was used with a clean lens.

Your pics are just clear and easy to see the detail.

That silencer looks the business and don't forget it sounds worse on the ground near the house.

Judge it in the air. You know that.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 06/04/2020 17:52:33:

20%, did you mean 20:1 petrol/oil ratio?

Be interesting to know your noise readings once you've got it ready to fly, thanks.

Yep 20% for break in, follow the manual, then 30% - 33% for flying, another run and I'll fly it next, revs not going up n down, pick up is crisp, not touched needles, If it continues to perform like this I'll be very happy.

Posted by john stones 1 on 06/04/2020 17:57:31:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 06/04/2020 17:52:33:

20%, did you mean 20:1 petrol/oil ratio?

Be interesting to know your noise readings once you've got it ready to fly, thanks.

Yep 20% for break in, follow the manual, then 30% - 33% for flying, another run and I'll fly it next, revs not going up n down, pick up is crisp, not touched needles, If it continues to perform like this I'll be very happy.

20% is not the same as 20:1 fuel ratio which works out to 5% oil content as per the instructions and when run in you can reduce the oil to 4%which is 25:1 so please be carfull

Hi John.May I ask what the model is that you are fitting your NGH17 engine into. I have an unused 17 that I have fitted a venturi on to. It apparently improves the running of the engine and stops fuel being sucked out of the carby,especially when fitted inverted. I have been trying to find a suitable model for my engine,and I like the look of yours.

Many thanks. Anthony.

Hi again John Stones 1. I received my Funky Cub on Saturday last from SMC Models. As I said,only £219 free post.

The manual that came with the engine quotes a propeller size of 13x8---15x8 that is for a 2 bladed prob. I would like a bit more ground clearance, so I was going to go for a 3 bladed prop. Any advice what size and pitch of prop would suit the NGH 17 engine.

Hope you don't mind me asking. Anthony.

It gives a range Anthony, the prop used depends on the model and what you want from the Engine, I honestly couldn't tell you if a 3 bladed prop suits, It's suck it n see I would think. I can tell you even with a 15 inch prop on, there's plenty of clearance. I will be going with a 15x6 most likely 15x8 if it noisy, ask away if I can help, I will. Gave it a few more runs, starts very easy.

• 1 month later...

I'd be very cautious if you decide to omit it. I can see it in the picture under the polythene bag but can't make out all of the writing.

If the plug cap comes off in use, it's quite possible that the ignition unit will be damaged irreparably - many are encapsulated in epoxy resin, so no chance of faultfinding.

Edited By Martin Harris on 24/05/2020 19:43:11

Well, both fopr JBA and NGH engines there are reports of misfiring and engines quitting due to plug cap bad contact and/or disconnecting from vibration (they are quarter of a turn fixing type).

The spring just add a bit of tension and reduces the risk of the cap turning while flying.