Quad ESC for 4 engined plane.

Advert

Posted by Denis Watkins on 28/04/2020 21:15:26:

My 2d worth, is if you burn out one ESC, which does happen

A quad ESC board is then a throw away, where 4 individual ESCs, you just replace one.

also one toasted esc only looses you one engine and not all 4. It will fly fine on 3 but might not glide well

The BEC in a quad ESC won't be able to handle the current for servos therefore a separate Rx battery or discrete BEC would be necessary.
Whether a quad ESC or 4 single (Opto preferably) ESCs are used all 4 red wires of the ESC to Rx leads would need be disconnected to allow this, also either 1 or 2 Rx channels with double Y leads or 2 single Y leads or 4 individual Rx channels would be required.

Depending on your Tx capability, another option might be to use a quad ESC with a dedicated Rx for the motors & a second Rx with either it's own battery or discrete BEC to control the servos.

I am all for keeping things simple as its generally more reliable (less links in the chain) although in this case (with 4 props) I would go for two pairs (both inners and both outers) as a balance between complexity vs reliability. If such items are not available then I would go for 4 ESC's

More of a consideration is where the ESC's are for cooling and complexity of wiring (overall weight of the model). I assume that a quad ESC will roughly produce the same heat as four individual ESC's, but in one concentrated place.

I think most quads that suffer single motor failure result in catastrophic loss of control, yet the owners accept the risk with £40k worth of camera on board. Having said that I have seen a video (on AI and self learning systems) where the presenter cut multiple blades off a quad and how it adapted in flight (lots of spinning, but still controlled!).

IMO BEC's are a separate consideration based on type of U/C used, number and type of servos and weight constraints of additional batteries + C of G consideration.

All good points, I was planning to use a separate battery or a BEC for the RX anyway as a safety feature.

I had not thought about the engine out point, better I think to stick to 4 separate ESC and then if one fails as suggested I will only loose one engine.

Also the separate ESC will go in each nacelle and cooling is easy to arrange as the cowls have the radiator hole in them. A quad ESC would probably have to go in the fuselage somewhere central so cooling not so easy.

Thanks all.