Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Hi Geoff, I did not use the flaps as I did not have a long enough flite to see what would happen when deployed. by the time I had it trimmed and flying straight and level I wanted to check the battery as I am pulling a lot more juice than a Predator motor, as it happens I was down to 24%.  Another thing was the hatch flew off not long after take off so no inverted flight. I had a word with Richard and he suggested air pressure as the hatch was a tight fit , I will look into that after I have repaired the U/C mount.

Jonathan I think the screws would be better 6mm longer than the ones supplied.

Advert

7 minutes ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

Eric where was the C of G?

Hi Paul, mine balanced 10mm forward of the position shown on the plan. Sorry if you were deprived of a plan 90mm from the centre leading edge of the wing , any further back and I would have had to put some weight in the tail. Once trimmed it flew on rails very happy with it. I see on yours you had the magnets for the cowl in a different position, the cowl is very tight so if it is not pressure I may use velcro as I have done with the radiator intake and that stayed firmly in place even after sliding along the grass.

19 hours ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

Eric,

If the radiator under the nose is open the air needs somewhere to go. That's why I put the rear radiator door in.

Hi Paul, Richard suggested I do the same as you to ley the air out. Regarding the C of G  mine is  the 51D so it will have less weight behind the C of G than the B, I sheeted mine so it may be lighter than your planking  

Richard did suggest the original screws could be used if two  CSK screws were fitted between the mounting screw holes prior to fitting the retracts or if the packers are not yet fitted then under those. They would have to allow the retract or distance pieces to sit flat on the seating, the the supplied screws would then be ok to fasten the retracts down. 

Jonathan, this may help the P51 plan shows the shape at the wing root, that is the shape to follow along the wing it just gets smaller, follow the flow of the wing it should be a continuation of the sheet covering. As you see in the picture there is a steeper slope down from the top, just keep looking along the wing as you sand it down to make sure it is straight and when you get to the tip follow the flow sand it with the aileron in neutral the tip should match the aileron at the trailing edge. The plan is for a Hawker Tempest but the principle is the same it will be useful when you build your Warbirds Spitfire.  

DSC_0904[2305843009217182316].JPG

16 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

Hi Jonathan , I use a David plane followed by a sanding block going from course to fine and the Mk 1 eyeball. 

Eric,

I have purchased a David Plane.  and I had a quick go with it,  Seems really nice.   That picture you have just posted is excellent hopefully I can re-create that shape.

I guess a similar thing has to be done on the tail and Horiz Stab.

I am hoping that Richard is going to plan another single engine fighter which I can get stuck into.  (Hint hint).  Twins might be a bit big for my man cave.

Really caught the build bug, I am having a lot of fun and learing so much thanks to you and Paul and the rest of the team. 

The next build I hope will be easier as not everything will be new and I will have learnt from some mistakes etc.

Another question for the experienced builders here:  When you shape the tail feathers, I'm clear on rounding the leading edge of the tailplane and fin, and putting a chamfered edge in place for the control surfaces to hinge properly, but is there a technique to achieving the much gentler taper for the control surfaces, i.e. the taper back to the trailing edge for the elevator halves and rudder?  Or is it simply a Mark I eyeball job?  I can see that it could be tricky to achieve an even taper.

Edited by Tim Kearsley