Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

59 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

You wont be modelling for Pretty Polly with those ankles .

Just saying . 

Lol well maybe not Pretty Polly! 

But I bet there is some weird warbird fetish site somewhere on the Internet that likes a badly turned ankle in Big Beautiful Doll socks.  Just need to keep looking. 

Advert

Dozy question alert from a novice builder!

I believe the rear and front decks are sheeted with 1.5mm balsa?  The balsa sides which attach to the ply doublers are thicker balsa - about 3.5mm?  Does this not leave a step between the side and the sheeted deck?

Sorry if I'm missing something simple again!  After the magnets debacle I'm scared to post here any more! 

In the spirit of openness and a willingness to admit our mistakes I'll tell you of a mini disaster I had this afternoon.  I was doing a dry run of joining the two wing halves.  For some reason, the two halves wouldn't quite fit together, getting very tight with a quarter of an inch to go.  In trying to ease them together I managed to put a finger straight through a wing skin!!  What a plonker! 

I've already repaired it, and by the time the wing has its final sanding smooth it will be virtually invisible.  Just shows though, you have to be on your guard all the time. 

I am looking at the flaps now they are cut out.  I have some basic questions that I could do with your collective thoughts on.

1. Is Pauls method on the prototype still valid. Has everybody else had to cut a bit of R2 out to get the flaps back in?
    • I cannot see a way of doing it without cutting R2
    • How do you fill the space you have cut out after the flaps are in place?  (I was thinking a small bit of ply but is that best?)
  2. How much movement down should the flaps have?
  3. What is the gap between the flaps and the wing?

I am sure there are 100 other questions I will have while doing this but thats where I am right now

"I am sure there are 100 other questions I will have while doing this but thats where I am right now"

Always good to have a round number in mind Jonathan.

I think we are going to need somebody sensible to answer these questions . But I can at least answer No3 while we are waiting . 

Its mostly air . 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jonathan S said:

Thanks i think ??

Jonathan, I had to cut Rib 2 as per Paul's post on the subject. The cut-out in the laser cut Rib 2 does not allow the flap to be installed as the torque shaft clashes with the rib. I extended the cut-out rearwards just enough to to be able to juggle the flap into position. Once I knew I could get the flap positioned and how wide the cut-out needed to be, I made a re-inforcing plate from 2mm ply to glue onto rib 2 to stiffen up around the cut-out.

• Thanks 1

For the flaps gap with the wing, there is no gap on the top surface ( or bottom surface at hinges) as the clever designer (and his little helpers) have shaped the flap LE and hinge geometry to have a constant gap of zero mm during the 55 deg of travel??. Very smart, just like the real thing. I am wondering if the covering will cause the flap to foul the wing skin. We will see!

4 minutes ago, Gordon McConnell said:

For the flaps gap with the wing, there is no gap on the top surface ( or bottom surface at hinges) as the clever designer (and his little helpers) have shaped the flap LE and hinge geometry to have a constant gap of zero mm during the 55 deg of travel??. Very smart, just like the real thing. I am wondering if the covering will cause the flap to foul the wing skin. We will see!

Put a small chamfer on the underside of the top wing sheeting where the flap moves under, this helps. 

• Thanks 1

Some help needed from you more experienced builders please!

I'm building the P51B version of the kit, with the razorback.  When I sheeted the rear deck I have somehow (and I'm really not sure how) managed to end up with a "dent" in the starboard side, which I think you can see in the photo.

I'm at a loss, frankly, to know how to rectify this.  Any advice anyone? 

20210323_160614.jpg

I know that you may not want to hear this but I would remove that sheeting to see what the underlying problem is. If you don't you are always going to be looking at it and wishing you had tried to rectify it but without removing it, or at least pulling the top section away you won't know.

To be honest, this is always a risk when wrapping thin sheeting over a structure with not a lot of supporting structure. I’m doing the P51D version and opted to plank the rear deck in 3/32” balsa rather that wrestling with a single sheet of 1/16”. I’m not saying that one approach is better than another in absolute terms but, with experience, you learn which methods work best for you.

Trevor