Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Advert

Well, today I undertook the very scary task of cutting out the flap and aileron from the port wing.  I won't pretend it was perfect, but overall I'm very pleased, and relieved!  The cut line on the bottom of the flap was very slightly off line and I've had to do a tiny bit of correction work with the odd thin sliver of wood. That said, it's not noticeable now it's done and I've cut the hinge slots and tried the fit and it all works like a dream!  I like this kit! 

A few photos to show where I'm at with this build.  Port wing is a little more advanced than the starboard and now has the flap and aileron cut out.  The wheel well is largely lined out and most of the leading edge and wing tip is shaped.  Skinning the front, highly curved surface of the flap needs a bit of care and nice, damp balsa.  You can see mine wrapped up in masking tape to keep the curve in while the aliphatic resin dries!

The starboard wing is fully sheeted and the wheel well is cut out but needs lining.  I found the U/C legs need very slightly bending towards the front of the wing to keep them away from the main spar.

Next to do is to finish off the port wing leading edge and tidy up the flap and aileron.  Then on the starboard wing, line the wheel well, add leading edge and wing tip, cut out the flap and aileron and tidy up.  After that, I need to sort out the flap linkages and join the wings.  Then we can start on the fuselage!

I did a dry run with the flap hinges and I must say it works well.  They will be properly fixed when the flap is covered of course.

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

1 hour ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Tidy work Tim . 

And a nice stool sample . 

Can we refer to you as "Tidy Tim " from now on ?

BTW , I wont want the plan back , you've ruined its second hand value . 

Thanks Richard.  I always try to do my best with a stool sample ?.  Well I've been referred to a lot as a lot worse than "Tidy Tim" in my time, so, yes, quite happy with that.  Sorry about the plan!

Quick question leading on from Tim's great photos and Paul's instructions on how to pin the ailerons and flaps.

what order do you install them.  I think I have to

1. Cut out the flaps and Ailerons from the top and bottom sheets
  2. sheet the curve of the flaps
  3. Fit them in with the hinges and cocktail sticks but don't glue
  4. Cover
  5. Glue in place

Have I got this right?

I think that's broadly correct Jonathan.  I will hinge the flaps and ailerons when I've covered the entire model.  I found you need to be quite careful when you sheet the curved front surface of the flaps.  I damped some sheet balsa and curved it around a piece of ali tube 30mm in diameter and taped it in place and left it overnight.  I then removed it, damped it again and tacked it at the top of the curved ribs with medium cyano and then glued it to the rest of the ribs with aliphatic.  Even at that it cracked slightly and needed a slight repair with thin cyano.  Just be careful!

I have yet to tackle that curved section on the front of the flaps but was thinking of doing it with two laminations of 1/32in balsa. I’ve used this method successfully on wing fillets when the curvature was too much for a single layer of 1/16.

Well I'm a newbie too Jonathan - I've only completed one previous build!  Personally, I think it's best to pin and glue after everything's covered. It does mean you have to disguise the pinning with covering film or whatever you use for covering though.  Those more experienced might chip in here....

Tim,

Can you post a couple of pics of your flaps with the covering as when the wheel wells are cut out that is my next job to cut and finish the flaps.

Hopefully I will be doing that over the weekend as the Mrs is away and I don't have to watch Bridgeton or whatever is the flavour of the week.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jonathan S said:

Tim,

Can you post a couple of pics of your flaps with the covering as when the wheel wells are cut out that is my next job to cut and finish the flaps.

Hopefully I will be doing that over the weekend as the Mrs is away and I don't have to watch Bridgeton or whatever is the flavour of the week.

Jonathan 

Check out page 22.

Paul,

Thanks that is exactly what I needed.  I was wondering where the sheeting needed to go down to and that shows it beautifully.

I had looked at that many times but had not printed it for some reason.  (I have taken to printing out certain posts and pics to suppliment my understanding so I dont have to keep going back to find them).  I was going to create a word doc but just never find the time. 

Jon