Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Silly question time again folks, as I'm back into the P51 build after quite a few weeks of no progress (mostly due to flying!).  The question concerns the radiator scoop.  I've fixed the vac-formed moulding to the balsa block and it's all shaped and ready for painting.  Re the vac-formed component though - is the idea to paint the front, flat section matt black, or to cut the flat section out and paint the interior and exposed front of the balsa black?  See, I said it was silly! 

Advert

Hi, 

Have not made as much progress as I would like.  I have most of the wing repaired now and after the joining exercise. Should be ready to put in the flap servo soon. 

The fuselage is coming along slowly. Now I have the 4s batteries from HobbyKing and got stung for the shipping and customs I am trying to work out the position of the esc and battery etc. 

My esc is a bit to big to fit under or over the motor like Paul did but I think I can put it under the battery  box.  Question is how has everybody fed in the battery to esc connector can you post some pics so I can get some ideas / options.

thanks guys.

Jon

10 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

. .Question is how has everybody fed in the battery to esc connector can you post some pics so I can get some ideas / options.

Pic of my arrangement attached. The battery tray on mine is removable which makes life a bit more interesting when getting the wire through!

IMG_3948.thumb.JPG.ebffc29fa7c6187f370c6a003a33c74a.JPG

• Like 1

Trevor,

Thanks so much that is what I thought I would end up doing but just wanted to check I was not missing the obvious solution before I cut a chunk out of my battery box.  

Paul, - Up until now I have only purchased from the UK warehouse but they have not had the batteries in for ages.  As I am building the battery box ext I wanted the batteries to understand how it was going to fit together etc.   Ouch is all I can say.  - wont do that again in a hurry.

Thanks again everybody for your help, my build has slowed to a crawl with the kids going back to school and my wife not going away.

but I will get there in the end. ?

Another question, this time about the ali spinner.  When the prop blades are bolted to the back-plate (I'm using the FMS 14 X 8 and Glynn's shims) is it safe to cut the excess thread off flush with the back of the back-plate, or do the nyloc nuts need to be fitted?  I don't think I've cut a large enough hole in the front of the cowl to accommodate the nuts. 

Oh absolutely no criticism of the kit intended at all.  My "moments" are entirely down to my inexperience and ineptitude!  Cowl aperture opened out now and all back to full loveliness here.....  Wing is completely finished and covered, flaps all working nicely.  Now it's time to finish off the fuselage, tail feathers and get the radio installed.  It stood on its own wheels for the first time a few days ago!

1 hour ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

No Jerry could attack that version without being blinded!

Indeed!  As I say, that will be tackled later.  I'm modelling the "Princess Elizabeth" so I guess the bare metal surfaces were fairly shiny?  I realise now, with 20/20 hindsight, that film covering wasn't a good choice.  Never mind, the next one will be better.....

Tim, the next one is always better no matter how long you have been building and flying planes. There is always more to learn be that different materials or techniques. I have been doing this for nearly 40 years and I am still learning - sometimes from my own stupid errors!

Edited by Andy Gates
Missed word