Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Thanks Paul.  It's Hobbyking film and very shiny.  I'm modelling the Princess Elizabeth, so it's essentially "bare metal" with a blue nose.  I've resigned myself to regarding this build as a learning exercise and acknowledging much of it is far from perfect. I would like to give it as authentic an appearance as I can though, within the limits of film covering, hence the panel line question. I'll try the gentle abrasion technique on some film on a piece of scrap balsa and see how it goes. 

Tim 

Also try some bare film with the permanent/gell markers.

The film is applied with heat (hair dryer) and can be removed the same way again try this on some scrap. 

I have been given a crash damaged FW 190 and it was printed film covered. I used heat to succesfully remove it.

Edited by Paul Johnson 4

I'm getting towards completing this project now - at last!  Those of us who are using Richard's lovely aluminium spinner, how are you painting it?  I have in the back of my mind that ali is quite tricky to get a finish to adhere to properly.  Is an etching primer necessary?  I'm modelling the Princess Elizabeth, so mine needs to be bright blue.

I have used B&Q for paint matching taking matt samples to be matched. On one occasion I took some covering off a Kyosho Spitfire to get a match for the brown and green When I went to use them they were nowhere near the colour of the sample. I put it down to the sheen on the film covering confusing the sampler. So be careful with trying to match gloss colours.

Hmm, I see I've managed to build in another variation compared to the rest of you chaps!  I've just installed the control linkages for the tail feathers.  On the plan that comes with the kit it mentions the "elevator pushrod on the starboard side".  So that's what I did, with the rudder control horn on the port side.  Now, looking at the completed models from other builders I seem to be opposite to everyone else!  Does it actually matter, as the surfaces move OK and there aren't any nasty angles in the snakes?

Incidentally, a colleague at my club who has also built the WR Mustang took it up for its maiden yesterday.  There were a couple of minor issues but the model looked beautiful in the air.  I can't wait to get mine airborne!

38 minutes ago, Tim Kearsley said:

Good advice Don.  It sounds a bit like you speak with the voice of experience? 

Believe it.  I had a float plane, fluffed up box of a thing. Russian markings.

It’s transport box had the fake type. Little known Russian inter war lakes transport, think Beaver, I said.

A bit before Google admitted, but I was never porkie challenged. And it did quite a few years trundling about.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a few things left to do, mostly cosmetic and rectifying minor cock-ups, but my P51B is 99% there.  I've had some exhaust stacks 3D-printed by a clubmate and they are still to go on.  The CG is a bit forward at around 90mm back so I'll have to see how it flies.  I've not attempted any weathering or detailing yet - it could be tricky on a film-covered model. I just need to reduce the awful glossiness now......

20211024_142805.jpg

20211024_142744.jpg

20211024_142733.jpg

• Like 4